• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Editing Boundaries in-game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Is there some way to add in a 'boundary' area using triggers in-game? It's possible to change terrain tiles in-game but I don't see any obvious way of changing the boundary. It's really for a relatively minor thing, but it bugs me a lot that I can't figure out how to do it.

Note: I know that this question was asked before in http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...98/how-create-remove-boundary-trigger-115940/, but unfortunately that workaround suggested there doesn't work for me.

Level 14
I'm a afraid that's the only solution, plus, you can combine it with a custom half-transparent abyss tileset. Why doesn't it work for you? Is it because of triggering?

No, it just doesn't work because I'm trying to be a perfectionist.

My map has a main playable area, and then walls topped with boundaries. Other than the playable area, the rest is just boundary.

However, I also want a certain cinematic even to occur at one point that requires changing the terrain to the Abyss tileset, spawning some units on it for the cinematic event, then changing it back.

I don't want to do that in the playable area, since it is a lot of effort to save the original tiles and then put them back exactly how they were - I'm not sure if it's even possible to put them back with the same variation they had before removing them.

While it's easy enough to do in the non-playable area (has large areas of the same terrain type), and replacing the terrain with a different variation of its type doesn't matter so much, I can't spawn units within a boundary, so it forces me to put one small square of playable space in the area normally covered by boundary.

There's no way to get to (or even see) that little square that I can think of (save cheating), but even so, if there had been a way for me to put a boundary there to cover this 'hole', I would have done so.

I don't want to do that in the playable area, since it is a lot of effort to save the original tiles and then put them back exactly how they were - I'm not sure if it's even possible to put them back with the same variation they had before removing them.
How can you say that, when meOme already made you a map about it?
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...98/keeping-terrain-hidden-159043/#post1477346

Anyway, then another way to do so, is having a specific tile that will work as the boundary, and then check when a unit is trying to step on this tile. If it tries to step on, move it a bit further.
This test map disables movement towards a lava-tile. View attachment Tile Moving Prevention.w3x

Level 14
How can you say that, when meOme already made you a map about it?
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...98/keeping-terrain-hidden-159043/#post1477346

Anyway, then another way to do so, is having a specific tile that will work as the boundary, and then check when a unit is trying to step on this tile. If it tries to step on, move it a bit further.
This test map disables movement towards a lava-tile. View attachment 75776

Unfortunately no - meOme's trigger does replace the right TYPE of tile, but not the exact variation - you can see that if you try it on the test map he provided. There are certain tile variations that I'm intentially trying to avoid in the map, and his trigger doesn't allow that.

meOme's map did show me how I could easily pull off what I wanted to do in the non-playable area though.

I'm not really concerned about units entering the one playable tile - it's in the middle of a sea of boundary areas - it's just that anyone seeing it would think it looks stupid/odd to have a single tile there in the middle of nowhere that is not covered by the bounary.

Like I said, it's just a minor thing, and if there's no way to create boundaries it's no big deal. I was just wondering if it was possible.

Edit: I've reworked meOme's trigger a little now, so now it actually DOES restore the exact variation of tile as well. Good to see it's possible. Since there's no easy way to draw boundaries, I think having the cinematic event occur in the playable area and using my modified version of meOme's trigger might be the way to go. Problem solved!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.