• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Earth's shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
This thread is dedicated for discussing earth's shape, because new year thread got derailed by this subject.

I claim that earth is a spheroid, and I present this evidence;

Stellar parallax;
ParallaxeV2.png

Lunar eclipses;
712px-Geometry_of_a_Lunar_Eclipse.svg.png

GPS satellites
ConstellationGPS.gif

Space photos
711167main_earthatnight_northamerica_1600_800-600.jpg

I'll now wait for trolman to refute these points.

Level 25
Magnets

The earth rotates, and mass within the earth, due to its momentum, pushes out slightly. There's a simple experiment that shows this principle in motion that most of us do every day - stir a cup of coffee/tea/liquid with a spoon, and watch the liquid rise on the sides. If the cup was less sturdy - made out of soft plastic or rubber for example - it would bulge on the sides. The earth isn't exactly a solid the way we perceive a solid like a brick.

The amount by which it isn't spherical is so insignificantly small that your proof doesn't really prove anything.

Provide an ultra-high resolution photograph taken from space above the equator and then we'll talk again.

Level 14
I retract my claim of earth being a spheroid. It has been revealed to me in a dream that this is the actual shape:
Piriforme3.JPG

More proof: See those poles? That's why they're called "south pole" and "north pole", because there are poles.

Status
Not open for further replies.