• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dummy Unit Explosion Lag // Game Crash on Exit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
My dummy units still have a model file- so when they die there's still an explosion (i tried and with the scout tower model there's no way to remove it). I'm assuming that since every model has a death animation that changing the model wont fix this. The reason it's a problem is because the dummy spawns in the center of my map, so whenever you mouse over the location you see a TON of explosions happening almost simultaneously that never stop. (the dummy spawns and casts a spell every time ANY unit attacks) Is there a way to fix this?

AND

since i finished the trigger that uses the afore mentioned dummy units my game has been crashing every time i exit, it will simply freeze instead of exiting. I can deal with it while editing, but if it's a permenant problem i would like to deal with it now while i still have an idea of what i could be, as opposed to later when people testing it complain! ><

Level 9
You need to give them a blank model file, or remove the particle effects for them. Besides, buildings don't really work well for dummy units, because they, well... explode.

Level 4
Right i'm figuring that out... >< how do i give it a blank model file? you can't give it no model file and i don't know of any models that are blank. Do i need to download one?

Level 5
You'd want to change the model file to ".mdl" it'll show up as a checkered box in WE but it'll be invisible in the game if you take off the shadow too.

You definitely need a trigger that removes the dummys after they do their job. Otherwise they'll keep building up until they lag everything to death.

Level 4
the unit 'expires' from a trigger after 1 second. Is that not enough "removal" to keep it from lagging up?

thank you to everyone that helped me here :thumbs_up:

Level 7
the unit 'expires' from a trigger after 1 second. Is that not enough "removal" to keep it from lagging up?

thank you to everyone that helped me here :thumbs_up:

No, it's not. You still need to remove the unit from the memory. The trigger posted a few posts up would be perfect for removing it after the expiration timer runs out.

And when I want dummy units to be invisible I take away their shadow, set collision to 0, movement type to none, add locust ability, and set model string to a.mdl.

Level 4
the only option i have is a "unit type" like structure, undead, plagued etc. i thought i could make it a specific unit too but i can't seem to find the trigger... ><

EDIT: nvm, sorry- i just needed to switch it off of boolean comparison! ><
ty a hundred times over all of you! :)

EDIT2: Ah, and for everyone that may have similar problems- as soon as the removal trigger was in place the game stopped crashing when i exit

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.