Drawing with a tablet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
So I was thinking of picking up a cheap (Cheap, but not 'cheap, cheap' :p) tablet for digital drawing.

One thing holds my hand.
I can't help but feel it'd be awkward to draw on something, but look elsewhere to see the image... Has anyone else found this transition hard and does one get used to it?

I'm so used to seeing that image underneath my hands ^^

Also if people know any good/reliable makes of tablets that'd be nice to know, I'm not looking to spend a bomb, I don't draw professionally or even to any AMAZING standard, it's just a bit of fun, but it would be used frequently so a dirt cheap paste together job won't cut it... :p

$180ish max, I guess :)

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Don't go for anything else than Wacom.

I painted with brushes, drew with pen and pencil on paper and painted with a mouse for roughly 15 years before I purchased my Wacom, and it took me only a week to get used to painting on one surface while looking at the other. It might not be that easy for everyone, and my experience with using a mouse to paint with might've helped, but either way, I'm not going back!

Anyway, as long as you go with Wacom, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

The Wacom comes with drivers and some software that enables settings (so that you can make the surface represent the screen rather than letting the stylus move the screen like a mouse). It should work with all software. However, I had to adjust some settings to make it function properly (pressure, tilt and so on) in GIMP. If it doesn't work properly out of the box, there's plenty of help to be found on the internet.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll love it.

Level 6
My Wacom tablet is essential for my comic. Without it I would be lost. The pressure sensitivity and pen feel are amazing. It took me a few hours to get the hang of it but get the hang of it I did. I even bought one for my mom. I have placed some of my comic examples in my album.

Status
Not open for further replies.