• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Drawing Flames in the GIMP (or Photoshop)

Hello! This tutorial is about drawing Flames in the GIMP, or Photoshop.
Note that I do not recommend you to use these flames as the main object in your drawing scene, but as a background.

Difficulty: 3/10 - Easy

1. Start a new drawing. It will look better with smaller dimensions. (This one is 64x64) Add an alpha channel and erase all.

01.JPG

2. Draw a red rectangle from around the middle to the bottom of the image. (A bit below the middle)

02.JPG

Now from about the middle of the red rectangle to the bottom, draw a yellow one.

03.JPG

Now draw a short white rectangle on the bottom of the image.

04.JPG

Now use the Smudge tool and a small brush to drag the white part upwards, crossing the other rectangles in smoothy zig-zags. (I recommend 50-60 smudging factor, but if your image is bigger, you should raise it)

05.JPG

Repeat the step number 5 many times, avoiding to cross your fire lines after you entered the erased areas, so there won't be holes in the flame lines.

06.JPG

Finish the Smudging and be sure that you didn't left any plain red or plain yellow hole in the picture.

07.JPG

Finished! Dark backgrounds are recommended to appreciate the result better.

08.JPG

Extra: Instead of using White/Yellow/Red, you can try using White/Magenta/Blue:

extra1b.JPGextra1.JPG

Or White/Teal/Green:

extra2b.JPGextra2.JPG

The possibilities are many. I recommend this:

• The bottom color should have three '255' RGB values (white)
  • The middle color should have two '255' RGB values and another '0'
  • The upper one should have one of the two below it to '255' and the rest to '0'
  • Then the last color is '0, 0, 0' (black)
You can try many other color picks!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Level 5
I'm not very great with testuring, but I know for a fact that flames are not a consistent temperature throughout and you should dodge (can't remember what the equivalent in gimp is) and burn (also called burn in gimp. I think it looks like a pen with a smudge at the end.) some of the tendrils to have more variety, but if it's the backround of a signature or loading screen it probably isn't as important as putting it in a skin to oh say replace the effect of raise dead to look like an eruption.

Level 3
Hello,

Good tutorial although not a fan of smudge tool but this is actually inspiring.

And nice signature gaby-boy.

Regards.
- zheavy -