• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dota 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
They have given arroun 3,000,000 in prizes for the 2 international tournaments, not to mention probable development/employment costs. The skins and stuff are out a couple of months, and are very cheap, therefore i doubt that.

1 skin for every class is released.

500K people buy 1 skin for their absolute favorite class

$500,000 for a month's work. And thats just using some made up numbers, imagine what it could potentially be.

500K people buy 2 skins

1 million dollars.

The whole idea of selling skins for something like a dollar is probably the easiest ways to get money once you factor in the sheer amount of people buying them.

Level 11
They have given arroun 3,000,000 in prizes for the 2 international tournaments, not to mention probable development/employment costs. The skins and stuff are out a couple of months, and are very cheap, therefore i doubt that.

It doesn't cost much to make a MOBA game, unlike other games you don't need the same detail quality on the unit
and environment models. Most of the work goes in to the game engine and hero designing/balance.

Also Riot Games gave away 5'000'000$ in prizes and about 700-1000 free Riot Points to each player
during season 2 and they are maintaining several servers around the globe. All this is funded by micro transactions
for skins and boosts etc so I don't think Dota 2 would have any direct financial problems except for the first
few months until the player-base has started to pay off.

Level 11
Nah, I think online F2P with non required premium content is much better for a pvp game,
getting a group large enough to fill a full DotA game can be hard and
most players don't have enough room at home for hosting so many guys.
Bandwidth can be a serious problem but if you have room enough for a DotA lan party
I think you might have enough money to invest in a faster internet, unless your area
cant provide a good connection. :/

Also its a lot easier to get more friends in to a game if it is free, some of my
friends can't or does not want to use money for new games. My closest gamer
friends usually likes to try out new games that aren't F2P but they would only
try DotA 2 if it is free since we are playing a lot of LoL for the moment.

But on the other hand, F2P has this bad habit of dragging in noobs and trolls...
I think I would prefer this one to have a small one time payment to clear out unserious players.

Level 8
it's called "Dota 2" not "dota 2 beta keys", DealWithItBro

Also, any cool guys that like playing and don't rage can send me a frenzvite on steam, PM me on the forums as well though so I know who the fvck you are. If you don't have a mic there is kinda no point though, voip is the cool part about being in a team - I'm zakamutt on skype too btw.

TKF

TKF

Level 19
First LOL then DOTA2 on Steam?

I discovered yesterday to my great shock I saw Dota 2 when browsing steam. This map gets several games created. Well dota is that extremely popular so be it. I'm a player who refuses to play dota because I wanna try out different kind of maps. I've tried it and players who plays dota are to specialized that its no longer fun to play when it reach such popularity. I find it easier for myself to play other AoS maps.

Level 16
It doesn't cost much to make a MOBA game, unlike other games you don't need the same detail quality on the unit
and environment models. Most of the work goes in to the game engine and hero designing/balance.

Also Riot Games gave away 5'000'000$ in prizes and about 700-1000 free Riot Points to each player
during season 2 and they are maintaining several servers around the globe. All this is funded by micro transactions
for skins and boosts etc so I don't think Dota 2 would have any direct financial problems except for the first
few months until the player-base has started to pay off.

Lel this post.

The detail levels in DotA 2 are ridiculously high, it's the most polished looking game using the Source engine right now. In fact, Valve gave the Source engine a touch up just to make it pretty enough for DotA 2.

Valve isn't developing DotA 2 for a fast cash-in profit. The game will start paying for itself the more servers they open to the public. Right now I'm sure it's a drain on money, as it has been for the last year, but that doesn't matter. Valve is incredibly rich and they can afford to take a minor financial hit so they can turn a huge profit.

It's been stated numerous times that the entire game will be free-to-play, with all the heroes available.

Some studies have shown that people actually spend more money on microtransactions. Something in the brain makes us wary of expensive purchases, but we are more than happy to make many small purchases without worry, which usually eventually add up to more than the same big purchases you might have made in that time.

It's the same concept as Team Fortress 2. And since TF2 has become free to play Valve has been raking in money with the hats.

Nah, I think online F2P with non required premium content is much better for a pvp game,
getting a group large enough to fill a full DotA game can be hard and
most players don't have enough room at home for hosting so many guys.
Bandwidth can be a serious problem but if you have room enough for a DotA lan party
I think you might have enough money to invest in a faster internet, unless your area
cant provide a good connection. :/

Also its a lot easier to get more friends in to a game if it is free, some of my
friends can't or does not want to use money for new games. My closest gamer
friends usually likes to try out new games that aren't F2P but they would only
try DotA 2 if it is free since we are playing a lot of LoL for the moment.

But on the other hand, F2P has this bad habit of dragging in noobs and trolls...
I think I would prefer this one to have a small one time payment to clear out unserious players.

A single copy of WC3 can be installed and used for LAN parties and tournaments as long as there isn't any money involved in the tournaments. You could easily introduce them to a more polished, more accepted DotA via the original.

I do agree that F2P drags in noobs and trolls, but after the first few months they will either learn to play well or leave it as a fad. Personally I'm going to stick with DotA until a few months after DotA 2 is released to the public (I already have the beta)

it's called "Dota 2" not "dota 2 beta keys", DealWithItBro

Also, any cool guys that like playing and don't rage can send me a frenzvite on steam, PM me on the forums as well though so I know who the fvck you are. If you don't have a mic there is kinda no point though, voip is the cool part about being in a team - I'm zakamutt on skype too btw.

It's called "Dota 2" not "Send me frenzvite on steam". The irony of off-topic is sickening.

Also refusing to play with people because they lack a mic is silly.

First LOL then DOTA2 on Steam?

I discovered yesterday to my great shock I saw Dota 2 when browsing steam. This map gets several games created. Well dota is that extremely popular so be it. I'm a player who refuses to play dota because I wanna try out different kind of maps. I've tried it and players who plays dota are to specialized that its no longer fun to play when it reach such popularity. I find it easier for myself to play other AoS maps.

LoL is on steam? Since when?

DotA has been known to get its share of hate for being "too serious". It's a hard game, and it doesn't cater to noobs. A single noob can lose the game for the team, and when you die it not only hurts you but hurts your team. The way the game is set-up it makes it very non-friendly towards new players.

Level 11
The detail levels in DotA 2 are ridiculously high, it's the most polished looking game using the Source engine right now. In fact, Valve gave the Source engine a touch up just to make it pretty enough for DotA 2.

I did not say that it doesn't cost to create a game, but supposedly it does not cost as much as other mainstream games today. LoL was created with a small group of people who did not have the financial backup as DotA 2, the visual in-game quality is not the same as it is today nor in DotA 2 but it was not bad.

I know that they are going in big on DotA, but realisticaly the development costs cant impossibly be higher than games like the Elder Scrolls Online.
(I cant find any numbers on how much DotA 2 costed valve so this post may be completely irrelevant.)

Status
Not open for further replies.