• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

DotA 2 Release Date?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Does anyone know of a specific release date for the DotA 2 BETA? I have heard it is sometime late this year, but does anyone know of an actual date?
I have watched the final match of the championship and it looked awesome!
Thanks! :xxd:

Dota-2-on-2011.jpg

Level 17
Yeah!
Anyways, would you abandon the original DotA completely like some?
Please don't...
D:

I would never do that!:thumbs_up:

I honestly don't understand what they are trying to archive with this...
Its the same game, the same map just new grafik...

It will fail. They will never get communities as League of legends or HoN have.

Personally, I don't like HoN and LoL. They just don't do it for me like DotA does. Yes, it will be same game but there will be new features, like reconnecting.

Level 51

No... not all wc3 Dota gamers are going to switch to Dota2, not thousands of crazy people just waiting on THAT game... noo... how could you even think of that?

Level 27
Yeah!
Anyways, would you abandon the original DotA completely like some?
Please don't...
D:
Stop trying to stop unevitable... if the Warcraft 3 Dota will fail, at least there will be more space for other, more fun custom maps.

Ahem, no it's not just the new graphics. It's most immportant update it's that as standalone game that has matchmaking systems, adapted interface, tech support and different stuff most of modern multipalyer games have.

And ahem, it's Valve we're talking about... They have millions of people using their Steam! Not to mention Valve know how to lure more people to their games and how to intrest people... they will most definetly have more people playing Dota 2 than there are people playing HoN or LoL.

Level 14

Well, DotA doesn't have the means to achieve great personal wealth. DotA2 has them since it's a stand alone game.

Level 26

you forgot to mention 1 thing: A completely different engine that allows much much more than wc3 does. I still remember when everybody was like "OMG SC2 will be totally awsome, because it has better modding capabilities than WC3"
And Icefrog simply decided to go with valve, because there he can expect some real support for his game, because he gets "unique" models and not some protoss dark templar as antimage.

Level 34
AoS communities are among the worst. I like LoL quite a bit, but man are people on the forums (and in game) dumb. I always hated the DotA community for its elitist attitude, and I doubt HoN is anything but forgiving.

AoS communities are among the worst. I like LoL quite a bit, but man are people on the forums (and in game) dumb. I always hated the DotA community for its elitist attitude, and I doubt HoN is anything but forgiving.

Oh the hon community is awesome, the support hero forgets to buy a ward and boom you're kicked.

Level 14
Oh the hon community is awesome, the support hero forgets to buy a ward and boom you're kicked.

Tell me about it. HoN is f2p now, and i dled it to see what changes they have made to the game since beta. (btw their version of Barathum has for ultimate that skill from batrider from dota... the net which pulls you... basicly here comes chu-chu barathum to stun you and than drag you away from your team. Not to mention he is immune to stun cuz of his charge). Anyhow, I was playing Nymph and i was laning with an agility hero Sillhouete... vs barathum and another tanky, auto-attack hero... both of them with stuns.. and we got like 4shotted and couldn't escape/evade their combo unless we were out of XP range.

And the Sillhouete dude had like 0-5 while I had like 1-2 and they wanted to kick me because I didn't place wards...

Why I choose LoL instead of Dota or HoN... first of all yes... early game is less passive. Second of all the game is a little more forgiving... in Dota or HoN if you died a couple of times at start you are way behind in items and experience... where as in LoL you still have the chance to catch-up... I feel like it kinda gives you time to adjust and figure out the opponets style of play and how it works compared to yours. Furthermore your caster heroes in LoL scale quite well into the late game, they can still deal out a good ammount of damage. Where as in Dota or HoN.... if you play Lich... once he is level 11 he starts to fall behind and he can't get much better after 16 either. I feel like in Dota and HoN casters are early game only, and in the lategame they just help out thorugh stuns and disables rather than damage. And in LoL i just feel that a lot of the heroes are just more inovative, like Orianna... all her skills are channeled through her ball which she sends to where she pleases. So basicly you target your ball to go to an area, and there the ball starts doing it's things as you command it to... and like some heroes have the classic mana system, others have energy system, rage system, some have no kind of 'mana' and are limited only by cooldowns. And spells are a lot more spamable... as you don't cast 3 spells and you are oom. All these things just make a more dynamic and fun game for me compared to HoN and Dota. I will agree that HoN and Dota take more skill at the casual level but I feel like LoL is just another game while HoN and Dota toghether make up one game.

I don't expect Dota2 to bring anything new to the table, but we will see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.