• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Doodad Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi, i'm using a 3rd person follow camera system for my SPrpg and animated grass doodads to cover the ground with grass.
I have 2 problems:
1. Although it doesn't lag for me, my friend who has a slightly weaker comp said he lags quite hard when near the grass. So my question is, about how many animated doodads can I have in 1 area without people starting to lag?
2. On one side, the grass doodads are bright but when you look at them from another side, they are dark. How can I make it so the grass looks bright from all sides? Note that i tried changing the rotation of some of the grass, it didn't change anything.

Please help me out so I can continue making terrain for my map :goblin_yeah: Thank you in advance
Helpers will offcourse get +rep.

Level 17
@Chiller

1. i guess its depend on his vga or sys. config so i dont think have standard number for every pc, another side i guess still 200-300 doodass dont laggy to most of pc but if u spam anything what animated on same place (included unit/special effect/etc) then its could cause graphical lagg but if u share thats animated thing on whole map, then its readuce the lagg greatly

2. i guess your model was made that way and maybe the only way if you a modeller help, u can check the request section there have few helpfull user who can help if u have permission for change model

Level 4
@ Chewii There are around 5900 doodads on the map.
@ shadowvzs
1. Ty for information
2. Well I'm quite sure the model wasn't made to be that way.. I'm gonna see if anyone else responds to this thread and then i'll seek help in the request section.

EDIT: I did some testing with Light sources. When light is shining on the grass doodads they look normal even from the angle they usually look more dark in. Still no idea what is really causing it though and adding light sources all over my map would make it much more bright, not to mention I want to have dark nights so I would have to somehow remove all the light sources in night time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.