• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

DME Heroes vs Demons

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: deepstrasz
warmregards Presents

Dungeon Maze Escape - Heroes vs Demons
Created by warmregards

Current Build:v1.16

Map Info:

Up to 8 Heroes try to activate all 8 switches in the maze in order to open the 8 gates leading to the exit portal.
If all Heroes make it to the portal, they win!

Up to 4 Demons attempt to Imprison all Heroes before they can do this.
When all Heroes are Imprisoned, the Demon's win!

Heroes can rescue allies from Imprisonment by making their way to the Rescue Portal without being captured themselves.

Features:

Nearly all abilities are custom and tailored to this map. There is no damage or death, and players use disables and illusions to evade and pursue in this cat and mouse style dungeon escape.

The dungeon itself contains safe zones, traps, puzzles, and even a few shifting walls.

The Demons have more control over the dungeon but move slower than the Heroes, and the use of strategy over an all out chase is advisable.

The Heroes have many tools at their disposal to disable, escape, trick Demons, and help eachother. Some can even use their abilities together to create some incredible opportunities to evade enemies or just hasten the journey.

The game is balanced around teams of 4v2-6v3 (all player controlled), but will work well with smaller or larger teams.

The switches you must hit to escape will begin to reset if you don't hit another one soon enough. The more Heroes in game, the less time they'll have between switches. This can sometimes lead to difficult choices when an ally is captured and you must choose between a switch or a friend!

Change Log:

Changed:

• Added quests
  • Changed a few spells to make them move visually appealing
  • Updated descriptions to make them more accurate/improved spelling and grammar
  • Water Lord's 'Bring the Rain' now causes his Glacier to freeze instead of slow enemies for its duration.
  • Added SFX to 'Bring the Rain'

Changed:
  • Removed test units from map... whoops!

Changed:
  • Added unique passive abilities to each Hero
  • Improved functionality of disables and summons
  • Slightly altered colors for all Heroes and Demons
  • Added a new spell for the Water Lord
  • Added movement speed tracker to HUD in lumber spot
  • Fixed a bug that caused the Invisible Demon to remain visible after leaving water
  • Fixed Shadow Demons 'Demon Sense' ability. Lightning will now properly disappear after use
  • Fixed a bug that caused barrels to stay elevated after being tossed away by 'Singularity'
  • Made some improvements to the camera while using 'Shrink' as the Illusionist
  • Changed 'Real' display of Prisoners to 'Integer' (you can't have a fraction of a prisoner)
  • Grammar and spelling fixes
  • 'Bring the Rain' will now properly allow the Blind Echo to see normally for it's duration
  • Prisoners now have nicer scenery in their dreary boring cage

Changed:
  • Added randomized frost traps to Blight Zones
  • Improved the Blind Echo's 'Phase Zone' responsiveness
  • Made the Blind Echo float while channeling 'Hone In'
  • Made the Echoes created from the 'Echo' ability float
  • Made the water color darker
  • Changed the tile design in the main pool
  • Altered the boundaries of some blight zones
  • Fixed more spelling
  • Added new visual effect to 'Echolocation'
  • Slightly adjusted the angle at which units are pulled toward the 'Singularity' spell

Changed:
  • Fixed horrendous lag caused by frost traps
  • Fixed horrible bug that caused the Shadow Demon's 'Demon Sense' to spawn hundreds of vision enhances over each blight area (Hilarious but it actually helped me solve the lag problem)
  • Smoothed out animations and removed leaks from 'Echo' ability
  • Changed the terrain in the dungeon to give it a darker appearance

Changed:
  • Added a gate to the main water pool that opens and closes as the dungeon shifts
  • Introduced a Repick system for the Heroes
  • Improved visuals and functionality of spells for the Time Mage, Mentalist, and Shadowdancer
  • Changed the appearance of the Chaos Orb
  • Changed the appearance of the Blind Echo's 'Phase Zone' and 'Hone In' abilities
  • Various bugfixes

Changed:
  • Retiled entire dungeon to give it a much darker and more ominous look
  • Refined Hero repick system
  • Refined Victory and Defeat conditions to account for players who leave the game
  • Fixed a bug with 'Tidal Energy' that caused the Water Lord to reveal chickens forever
  • More minor bug fixes

Changed:
  • Fixed Orb Wielders 'Haunt' ability (will no longer move the orb to inaccessible locations and glitch out the Heroes, breaking the whole game)
  • The Blind Echo will now properly lose vision of her allies, and gain it when using 'Hone In'
  • Improved visual effects on 'Hone In' and 'Phase Zone'
  • Changed water color and added weather effects during Water Lords 'Tidal Energy' ability
  • Added icon with description for Invisible Demon's passive ability
  • Added visuals and improved functionality of Time Mages 'Time Distortion' ability
  • Changed the Mentalist's Telekinesis mechanic. Throwing allies and enemies will still provide speed modifiers, but throwing barrels now destroys them, leaving behind a slowing, toxic mist for a few seconds that affects enemies AND allies.
  • Changed the Mentalist's 'Mind Fog' ability into 'Mind Warp', which interrupts the target and sends the camera of the targets owners spinning out of control for 5 seconds.
  • The Shadowdancer's Shadow Clone now seamlessly swaps places with it's master and continues on her path perfectly.
  • Altered the repick mechanic. Heroes can now repick instantly and as often as you want, but only for the first 3 minutes.
  • Added true sight to Shadow Demons 'Demon Vision'

Changed:
  • Added Arrow Key Movement and a perspective change for Heroes!
This is somewhat experimental, but works fairly well. Click-to-Move is still an option and is more reliable, but the Arrow Key Movement makes for a very different experience. The camera is now locked behind the Hero until they stand still, at which point they can press BACKSPACE to view wards and other units they control. The Demons control system and camera remains standard (the camera can be zoomed out for greater perception). This is intentional as it puts the Heroes in a more vulnerable position and helps the Demons fill their role as the controllers of the dungeon.

Changed:
  • Changed map name
  • Fixed some bugs with the new camera system and arrow key controls
  • Fixed some bugs with the Illusionist's 'Shrink' Ability
  • Made the Demon's visibility Fog of War by default, while the Heroes is Black Mask
  • Improved sights and sounds of the Mentalist's 'Telekinesis'
  • Made it slightly easier for Heroes to escape Imprison
  • Fixed problems with some players not being able to pick a Hero

Changed:
  • Added an opening scene that goes over the map, rules, and some of the special things about the dungeon
  • Many fixes made to the Heroes arrow key controls, including responsiveness and smoother spellcasting
  • Many fixes made to the Heroes camera

Changed:
  • A random player on the Heroes team will now select either the Full Guide Cutscene, the Quick Guide Cutscene, or No Cutscene at the start of the game
  • Players should now see only one copy of each message during the Guide Cutscenes
  • When players take control, their respective tavern will be selected and their camera brought to their starting point
  • Added recommendations to the description for a minimum number of players and how to balance teams

Changed:
  • Teams are now split randomly upon entering the dungeon
  • The loading screen description is now more succinct
  • Changed the appearance of 'Chaos Unleashed'

Changed:
  • Fixed some issues with the new team splitting system
  • Made some changes to the dungeon's decor
  • Tweaked the camera for 'Shrink'
  • Changed the turning rate of all Heroes. This has little impact outside of the Arrow Key Movement system

Changed:
  • Added a random button to each tavern
  • Fixed a bug that would leave the Invisible Demon with an Abilities Button upon using 'Shadow Hunter'
  • Added more barrels for the Mentalist

Changed:
  • Raised the dungeon wall height by 1
  • Fixed a bug that left the unit used for the imprison demonstration in the prison
  • Added more doodads and detail to the dungeon environment
  • Simplified the unit descriptions in the tavern
  • Various spelling fixes

Credits:

Special Thanks:

• jakeZinc - Though every click and keystroke that went into this map was my own, jakeZinc took the time to talk me through a few things that really put me on the right track.
  • cram999 - For lots of testing. And more patience.
  • Rufus - For taking the time to give feedback and for sharing his experience with someone who's new to this.

Author's notes:

This map was created for team play and really is a 'the-more-the-merrier' kind of map. The chaos, randomness and pace all get kicked up with more players.

Balancing is a constant battle and any input is more than welcome (cooldowns, range of abilities, movement speed bases, the cancellation range of the Demons 'Imprison' spell is VERY important and difficult to get just right.)

Please let me know of any bugs or suggestions.

Thank you for your support and enjoy the map!

-warmregards

p.s. If you really like the map and want to design a character, just give me the basic idea and I'll try to put it together. It's a challenge to create fun and unique abilities when the game doesn't involve damage or death, so any creative new abilities and themes are welcome!

Previews
Contents

DME Heroes vs Demons1.16 (Map)

Reviews
Paillan
5 - 4 - 2017 Moderation No changes were made in more than 3 months which means that no changes are inteded to be made. Acording to rules, this implies that your map will now be classified as substandard. If you wish to revert this decision you can PM...
Level 2
It is an interesting concept, with some of the ideas made well, but it is still lacking in many other fields.
To start things off, you need to update your description.
Read the map submission rules (the bit about map description), update your description and we can check this out again.

Good luck! :)
Thanks you! I'm not sure what you mean by the description, though. I need to create a Quest Log in-game and have thought of a few people to credit for helping out, though they never actually worked on the map. Other than that though, what am I missing?

Thanks for looking at it to begin with!

Level 26
Your terrain update is good. The current terrain fits the map much better than dalaren theme it had before.
There are more things to be done here though, and I think the terrain could be made even better. This is your call however, as it isn't blocking approval in its current state.

The introduction is really long, and there is a bug, showing most of the introductionary texts twice. This needs to be fixed.
The introduction should also be able to be skipped.
It is also very long. Is there any way you can reduce it to fewer words? I was tempted to play since the introduction just left me confused since I couldn't remember all that was in it.

When the game started, I was not quite sure what to do, since I had no tavern unit selected. I thought it was just to give the runnes some time to get an advatage, but when nothing happened I scanned the map and found the demon portal. I think this should be selected for the demon platyers right away.

As for gameplay, I would say that it is barely working when having only one demon.
I had no way of cathing up with my opponent, since I had no way of stopping him ong enough to imprison him.
Perhaps you need to state that it should be played full house?

The abilities sure are unique, but they feel a little strange aswell.
Perhaps, again, you nbeed to be full house in order to unlock the true potential of all abilities.

For now, it is set to awaiting update.

Level 2
Your terrain update is good. The current terrain fits the map much better than dalaren theme it had before.
There are more things to be done here though, and I think the terrain could be made even better. This is your call however, as it isn't blocking approval in its current state.

The introduction is really long, and there is a bug, showing most of the introductionary texts twice. This needs to be fixed.
The introduction should also be able to be skipped.
It is also very long. Is there any way you can reduce it to fewer words? I was tempted to play since the introduction just left me confused since I couldn't remember all that was in it.

When the game started, I was not quite sure what to do, since I had no tavern unit selected. I thought it was just to give the runnes some time to get an advatage, but when nothing happened I scanned the map and found the demon portal. I think this should be selected for the demon platyers right away.

As for gameplay, I would say that it is barely working when having only one demon.
I had no way of cathing up with my opponent, since I had no way of stopping him ong enough to imprison him.
Perhaps you need to state that it should be played full house?

The abilities sure are unique, but they feel a little strange aswell.
Perhaps, again, you nbeed to be full house in order to unlock the true potential of all abilities.

For now, it is set to awaiting update.

Thanks, Rufus!

I just added the opener yesterday as I felt that it was too easy to miss some aspects of the game. That said, I agree that it should be skippable. Good call. I'll look into the text showing up more than once when I start fine tuning later today. The reason I added it in the first place was that I played a map called 'Metastasis' with my brother earlier. The game started and I was a peasant in a spaceship. Every single thing was custom. The game had SO MUCH DEPTH. However I wasn't given any kind of instruction and as I searched for some help I was attacked almost instantly, escaped, and was killed within a few minutes. I hated every second of it. Now in my map, if the Heroes have never played before but the Demons have, the same thing could easily happen, so I created the intro to start everyone off on the same page and make sure the Demons wouldn't bunch up outside the entrance while the Heroes were still reading the game description.

Interesting point about having only one Demon. In the early stages of the map, it worked very well (only one Demon was originally in the map at all). I've neglected testing with smaller groups more and more as my roster increased and probably overlooked some important balancing issues. It's also very difficult to complete the mission as a Hero playing alone, and I should work on establishing a minimum for Demons and Players. This will also help the abilities feel more useful, as some of them are almost impossible to use without allies. Thanks!

As far as the terrain... I have the unfortunate bias of knowing what it looked like when I started, which means that when I look at the map now I think it looks great, but am subconsciously comparing it to its predecessor which may mean I overlook some things. I'm also colorblind, so for all I know it's an absolute travesty (LOL!). Is there anything in particular you think would add to the terrain? I often think it would be nice to have someone sitting next to me as I work on aesthetic elements just to make sure I don't add something ridiculous, or worse, remove something awesome and replace it with something terrible.

Anyway thanks for the input! I've still got a long way to go and I appreciate you taking the time to check out my project. I'm really trying to make it as fun as it can be.

Level 26
Glad I could help!
About the terrain, I think it would generally help to place more doodads, add some variation to the floor tiles and perhaps add mist effects or something.

It is good that you can see the map for what it really is right now: That means you will be able to make many improvements! This might turn out to be really good eventually.

Last edited:
Level 2
Glad I could help!
About the terrain, I think it would generally help to place more doodads, add some variation to the floor tiles and perhaps add mist effects or something.

It is good that you can see the map for what it really is right now: That means you will be able to make many improvements! This might turn out to be really good eventually.

Did you happen to try the arrow key movement for the heroes? I agree that more doodads would be a nice touch as long as there isn't too much collision that interrupts the movement. I designed it to be more of a secondary option but a few people have told me they really like it. I don't want to discourage it's use, but if you get stuck you can always turn or use the mouse.

As for the mist, I already have heavy red fog in the dungeon. Is it not showing up for you? Or are you talking about something else?

I've also decided to figure out how to have all players start neutral and be randomly assigned to teams based on the number of players. If I can get that to work, I'll add options to pick teams and an all random option. I'll be getting to work on that right after school.

Thanks again!

I

Level 26
I didn't try the arrow key movement, but I will now that I know about it!
That is something that I have developed myself for a long time for my current project.

As for the mist, I already have heavy red fog in the dungeon. Is it not showing up for you? Or are you talking about something else?
Yup.
That mist is a weather effect.
In the top part of the editor window, clik "Scenario" > "Map Options" and then check the box "use terrain fog", and set colours and intensity.
It can really bring some atmosphere into a map, but it can also ruin its clarity, so use it wisely.

Level 2
I didn't try the arrow key movement, but I will now that I know about it!
That is something that I have developed myself for a long time for my current project.

Yup.
That mist is a weather effect.
In the top part of the editor window, clik "Scenario" > "Map Options" and then check the box "use terrain fog", and set colours and intensity.
It can really bring some atmosphere into a map, but it can also ruin its clarity, so use it wisely.

The arrow key movement is for heroes only. I decided to figure it out for the shrink ability but eventually changed it to all heroes. When I decided to do this I Googled arrow movement and actually found your project (so fun btw). Your system is better. Hands down. But I ended up just expanding my simple one as it worked for the camera I implemented.

As for the fog... one of the demons abilitit's changes it, but it's there. It states red then he changes it. Then it switches back to red but it's there! It's not set in the options as its added dynamically.

Level 2
Ah, I see. :)

I tested your arrow key system now, and I would suggest increasing the turning speed slightly. It was working good, but that turn speed was a little bit bathering.

Thanks! :)

Well maybe you can help me with that. It seems that the turn speed is different for different units and I can't figure out why. It seems to be the same when turning in place but when turning while moving forward it's different. I set all the heroes turn speed to the same value but it still seems a touch off for each one. Any ideas?

Level 26
Yeah, I struggled with this too.
This has to do with the turn rate. You can find it and adjust it on each unit. It is found under "Movement". Just set turn speed or what ever it is called to 0.01 (you'll have to hold shift before editing the value in order to make it work.

Level 19
5 - 4 - 2017 Moderation

No changes were made in more than 3 months which means that no changes are inteded to be made. Acording to rules, this implies that your map will now be classified as substandard. If you wish to revert this decision you can PM a map reviewer once you have updated the map.

Set to Substandard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!