• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Divided Path

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: twojstaryjakcie
Divided Path

My first, hopefully not last melee map

This is a pretty standard one-way map which consists of:
  • 4 green spots
  • 2 red spots
  • 2 orange spots
  • 2 shops
  • 4 gold mines

Obviously this isn't a map for the ladder but'll appreciate any feedback on it :>
Contents

Divided Path (Map)

Reviews
The Panda
Nice one! just a few tips and ideas.. - Try not to leave gaps in between trees for wisps or workers to hide out. - The author and "Melee Last Patch" haven't been changed. - I don't really see a point in having that mountain king at the top left to be...
WolfFarkas
Hello there, I want to present myself to you, I am Ragnaros17, nice to meet you, I am a melee mapper. I don´t call myself a pro but I have 13 melee maps approved, many of them with unique doodads tricks. So if you want to do melee maps and become a...
nightelfbuilder
Hello there the idea of the map is good but their are some things that are off or melee mappers will find odd. I will list them down below so that it would be direct and clear. - The terrain is quite odd or not suited for melee map since it is not...

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
Nice one! just a few tips and ideas..

- Try not to leave gaps in between trees for wisps or workers to hide out.
- The author and "Melee Last Patch" haven't been changed.
- I don't really see a point in having that mountain king at the top left to be honest but that's just me.
- The sight blocker doodads arnt really needed IMO.
- The crazy ramps that are placed near players start location needs to be cleaner, its very messy.
- When making hostile creep camps, it looks nicer when all creeps are facing forward, to do this you need to select all the units involved and then press down CTRL and left click with your mouse.
- Overall the doodads and terrain could be more smoother and nicer looking but again, that's just me.

Level 29
Hello there, I want to present myself to you, I am Ragnaros17, nice to meet you, I am a melee mapper. I don´t call myself a pro but I have 13 melee maps approved, many of them with unique doodads tricks.

So if you want to do melee maps and become a melee mapper, you need skill.
To have skill you need to do 3 things
1) Download melee maps and study them (here in the Hive there are tons of maps)
2) Read tutorials (Here in the Hive there are tutorials, melee tutorials, terraining tutorials, description tutorials)
3) Read reviews of melee maps (here in the Hive, every approved map has a review with good things and bad things)

Lets go to the facts, you don´t have skill and knoledge yet (not bad thing, everyone started knowing nothing) but what you must do in this early stage is to learn (a lot) , study and after that, map and practice. I sugest you to invert your time and energy in study maps than in make maps.

You need to learn: simetry of neutrals and creeps,positions numbers XY like 0;0 or 0;500 in the editor, standard loots and creeps levels, simetry of the terrain, how to mirrow terrain, the use of the P botton to see the path buildable/unbuildable terrain, how to don´t leave gaps between trees, how to make good ramps, and how to do a good description of the map.

If you want to know my experience I remade 3 maps from 0 because they were low quality, and I have to fix my maps a lot, if you see them in my profile you will see 1.06 v that means I updated that map 6 times.

So for this period I sugest you to download and study (a lot ) melee maps, you can see mine or I sugest: z.ky maps, Remixer maps, The Panda maps, mafe maps, MysteryMaze maps, Filmting maps, normalice maps, Blood Raven maps as example.

Download those maps, study neutrals positions, loot, creeps level, and tile mix and study everything, be curious.
Read the reviews of those maps to learn what is good and what is bad
Read tutorials to learn general tricks like how to change the color of a doodad or how to mirrow terrain

The more knoledge you gain, you will become a pro faster, and when you have a lot of knoledge, your maps will be very solid and you won´t need to fix them or they will have low things to fix.

"Obviously this isn't a map for the ladder but'll appreciate any feedback on it :>"
Have great ambition, aim for ladder play

Nice one! just a few tips and ideas..

- Try not to leave gaps in between trees for wisps or workers to hide out.

I had to delete all the wood of 7 of my maps and put it correctly again, OverClocked learn this as a very first lesson and never forget it. That is the worst and more boring bug to fix in a melee map.

see ya and good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 5
Thanks for the advice! I wouldn't have spotted the mistakes if it weren't for your help
  • fixed the tree gaps
  • ramps are now taking up less space
  • removed sight blockers
  • all creeps are now facing one direction
I wish i could do more here but that's all the time i had
I'll certainly continue updating just let me know how I'm doing :D

Hello there the idea of the map is good but their are some things that are off or melee mappers will find odd. I will list them down below so that it would be direct and clear.

- The terrain is quite odd or not suited for melee map since it is not mirrored and doesn't have symmetry.
Solution: Redo the terrain and make sure the terrain that you're going to do is symmetrical and offers the same amount of everything to the opposing players. This includes the placing of neutral buildings.

-There are lots of gaps in the tree wall.
Solution: Press P to see the pathing or the tiles that needs to be filled with trees and then it is up you you if you're going to completely redo the tree or add them to places where their are gaps.

-The terrain is flat.
Solution: Use the raise or lower brush with the size 3 setting to give depth and life to the terrain. You could also use the noise brush but it's much harder to use and when not used right it could ruin the look of the terrain overall.

-The creep camps that are guarding the market don't have item drops and some creep camp drops are too op for their level and the type of your'e
going for.
Solution: Look at approved melee maps to find the proper balance between the creep drops and the creep camps.

-There is no life on the terrain, here the small things really matter.
Solution: To give life to the terrain use small doodads that doesn't interfere with the pathing like mushrooms, flowers or you could make custom ones, after adding them you'll see how alive the terrain looks.

-The red camps are a problem for 1v1.
Solution: Since your maps is a 1v1 I suggest that you do not use red camps, you should lower the level to orange by removing extra creeps, 14-16 would be alright for a 1v1.

-The tavern lacks heroes.
Solution: Set the Game data in the "map options" under "scenario" to Latest patch.

-Way too less creep camps.
Solution: you should add more variety of weak creep camps instead of just adding few really strong ones.

(Optional) Both can be found under "map options" under the "scenario" tab.
-Adding terrain fog is a really great way of enhancing the map, it serves as the "filter" of your map.
-Adding weather effect is a really great way of making the map look more alive.

Rating: 3/5 (this still could change if you work on the map even more)

Final note: In making melee maps you must always consider balance and symmetry because all the players in the map must have equal chances on winning and getting the resources they need. This map has potential but currently it need more tweaking and adjustments to it. That's all that I have to say and happy modding :)

This review is based on the current version that is uploaded, If you want me to do an another review feel free to contact me.

Last edited: