• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Display an Image on X/Y Value of the Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I am trying to display an image that can be seen on the player's screen, not on a physical location on the map. The problem is that I could only find methods on displaying images that cover the screen, but what I am trying to do is to display an image that, depending on certain circumstances, is displayed at a certain point on the player's screen.

If anyone knows how, if possible, I can do this in warcraft 3, help would be greatly appreciated.

Level 14
I am trying to display an image that can be seen on the player's screen, not on a physical location on the map. The problem is that I could only find methods on displaying images that cover the screen, but what I am trying to do is to display an image that, depending on certain circumstances, is displayed at a certain point on the player's screen.

If anyone knows how, if possible, I can do this in warcraft 3, help would be greatly appreciated.

So you don't want this method?:
http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/cat_usersubmit.php?view=66955

I don't think this can be done for a player locally though, you got to test that if you need it.
It probably causes a desynchronization.

EDIT: I think I've missinterpretet what you said.
You want the image not to be on a co-ordinate or position of the map, nor do you want the image to cover the entire screen but you want the image to cover only a part of the players screen?
Then if it's possible to cover an entire screen, can't you simply use opacity and transparancy in order to make sure the player only sees that part on the screen?

Level 26
The tutorial does not cover anything about screen-relativity, so obviously no. edit: images are completely local-based. They won't cause a desync.

@TC: When you were referring to "covering the whole screen", you probably meant fade filters. You can use a texture that is partly transparent as well kind of move the construct with triggers via the UV-mapping options:

native SetCineFilterStartUV takes real minu, real minv, real maxu, real maxv returns nothing
native SetCineFilterEndUV takes real minu, real minv, real maxu, real maxv returns nothing

However, you can only display one fade filter to each player at a time. Images on the other hand are flat in XY-plane. You may be able to calculate the coordinates from the player's camera properties but you cannot align the image to the camera's perspective neatly.

Level 14
The tutorial does not cover anything about screen-relativity, so obviously no. edit: images are completely local-based. They won't cause a desync.

@TC: When you were referring to "covering the whole screen", you probably meant fade filters. You can use a texture that is partly transparent as well kind of move the construct with triggers via the UV-mapping options:

native SetCineFilterStartUV takes real minu, real minv, real maxu, real maxv returns nothing
native SetCineFilterEndUV takes real minu, real minv, real maxu, real maxv returns nothing

However, you can only display one fade filter to each player at a time. Images on the other hand are flat in XY-plane. You may be able to calculate the coordinates from the player's camera properties but you cannot align the image to the camera's perspective neatly.

Thank you for correcting me, I didn't read that well.

edit: images are completely local-based. They won't cause a desync.

This is also new for me, thanks.

However, you can only display one fade filter to each player at a time.

So if his idea is to have multiple "windows" on the screen, then he could make several images with different "windows" showing or not showing.
Then use conditions to remove the previous image and create the new one with the extra "window". (Yeah my explenation is a bit vague sorry >.>)

I'm not sure if this is relevant to the topic, but I guess this is what Miles111 is trying to achieve?

Level 14
No no no..... I one image that is, say for instance, a Rain Drop, to be placed multiple times all over the screen, not for one image to cover the entire screen.

That's what has been explained, it's impossible to have multiple images over your screen, but what you can do is create multiple images that covers the entire screen, one with 1 rain drop, one with 2 rain drops, one with 3 rain drops etc and then replace that image. This can be done with fade filters... This way you can create an animated screen with rain drops which is what I think your trying to do right? :)

Read Waterknight's post again:

Waterknight said:

Status
Not open for further replies.