• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Displaying images on terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

What is the optimal way of displaying an image on terrain?

--

NOTE: Title changed from "Tile variation logic?"

I want to cram as many 64x64 images into one tile, then to second etc. Rougly 130 images. Map will be first filled with plain black tile and filled with tiles (=the images) using native SetTerrainType takes real x, real y, integer terrainType, integer variation, integer area, integer shape returns nothing.

How is the tile chosen?

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

No, he wants to know which
integer variation
correspond to which location in the tile texture file.
Yes exactly.

But the amount of permutations (because of the image changing when adjacent tile changes to same) needed is so ridiculous that I should be looking at alternatives.

Which is better, destructable or image?

Level 39
You could test for yourself with one of the default tile textures. Put some text over each square like A, B, C, D... and then create terrain with different variations to see what the pattern is. You might find that it goes in rows or columns or something else, idk.

Don't use images. They are buggy and can actually cause the map to crash if you don't use them right. I would use units or destructables with a 2D plane model with the image on it; it will be an incredibly small file so you could easily import 100 of them. Using units you could make transitions to different images with animations (animated ground textures anyone?) or show different images entirely by setting animation flags (does make the model more complicated and larger filesize though). If it has hover movement I believe the model won't clip into the terrain either.

If you really want to use images try this library: ImageUtils - Wc3C.net I've used it to questionable success in a map.

Status
Not open for further replies.