• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Discussion] RP Factions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Hello. I got a 'random' thought when checking out the main RP thread. Why do we have 19999 factions? Basically each player more or less control their own faction which I think is a waste. Some people even control like 6 factions *cough*.

I think it would be better with.. I don't know.. 3-4 factions and having an actual hierarchy by only allowing a few characters per player. I think that gives you a more personal relation to your character(s).

If you control one faction and let's say General Firebeard dies in a battle. Who gives a f*ck? You'll just replace him with General Ironbond and you're good to go. However if you have RPed on a single character for weeks and he/she dies.. I bet you'd be a little sad.

Also if you control a whole faction on your own you're basically talking to yourself 75% of the time. In order for things to make sense you need dialogue between certain characters, sadly if you control all characters.. it becomes boring quickly. If let's say me and 2 others are in a faction together we need to talk and decide together what we want to do and which direction we want to lead the faction.

Thoughts and opinions? Am I too naive?

It's well... a little late. Some of us have already have lots of characters and some factions before this. It's too late to undo anything. What's done is done.

I know, but nobody else wants to join other factions...

There would be troubles to those who had tons of characters if a new rule restricting number of characters exists. How would we delete those excessive characters?

My factions are all obliterated by RP #2 (saves Night Empire).
Vestrope and UMSR will be removed from the picture slowly, if Directive agrees.

Just FYI, TMK isn't directly obliterated, rather removed and only mentioned throughout RP #3 (hinting their existence in earlier RPs).
I agree with 2 as limitation, I can barely manage TMK + NE + NM, not to mention Renegades and Hades' Force.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Oh, and one thing that I didn't make clear.
I think it would be better with.. I don't know.. 3-4 factions and having an actual hierarchy by only allowing a few characters per player.

>>
I think it would be better with.. I don't know.. 3-4 factions in total forcing everyone to join one of those, then having an actual hierarchy by only allowing a few characters per player.

I think controling one faction is too much, yet it could be translated into 3-4 factions per player, which was not what I wanted to suggest.

I guess it won't hurt to limit the max of total at global.
Though 3-4 is quite low, I'd say 5-6, but don't know bout others.

3-4 factions in term of alliance won't hurt. So we got like this :
Players can create as many factions, but ALL of their factions must be sticked to one alliance (or two, but in that case they can collide)... But then again, that's a bad idea.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Even within a faction each character can have insanely different traits. So having variation should not be an issue. I don't see how democracy would be removed by this..

edit: colors are fine. However since there are 1999959595 factions we have to make use of really bad colors. Bright colors.. are awful :p mixing them with other colors does not help.

This does not look good.
This does not look good.
This does not look good.
This does not look good.
This does not look good. (fine this one is debatable)

This is fine.
This is fine.
This is fine.
This is fine.

Level 6
Yet we can't delete factions.

This is a major step.

Perhaps a majority of factions could be conquered at a Major event in the roleplay. (Like game of thrones, ice and fire if you know.Simple Explanation: Merging by conquest)

Actually that's what DME is planning for.

First to take the Magic kingdom (Betrayal, taking advantage of the war).

And Then... Enough spoilers already :p

Level 21
Why do we have 19999 factions?
I have no idea,I only need one and I'm happy with it since its less stresfull and I can easily expand it as I need and/or desire

I think it would be better with.. I don't know.. 3-4 factions and having an actual hierarchy by only allowing a few characters per player. I think that gives you a more personal relation to your character(s).
I agree with this.

If you control one faction and let's say General Firebeard dies in a battle. Who gives a f*ck? You'll just replace him with General Ironbond and you're good to go. However if you have RPed on a single character for weeks and he/she dies.. I bet you'd be a little sad.
This is true.I remembered I was sad when AS died,that's why I found a way to revive him

Also if you control a whole faction on your own you're basically talking to yourself 75% of the time. In order for things to make sense you need dialogue between certain characters, sadly if you control all characters.. it becomes boring quickly. If let's say me and 2 others are in a faction together we need to talk and decide together what we want to do and which direction we want to lead the faction.
I see what you are saying but to me it would be too complicated to be in the same faction as another.I rather stay on my own.

There would be troubles to those who had tons of characters if a new rule restricting number of characters exists. How would we delete those excessive characters
Kill 'em xD.Seriously though,there are a few ways such as going over to another faction or being controlled by another RPer but yes,there would be complications.It would be impossible for me infact since I constructed lore,meaning and a future for each of my characters.

Well erh.. actually i was thinking about limiting factions per player to two.
Whats done is done,the rule still applies. (You can keep the factions yet can't create any more since you exceed the number of 2)
This seems good to me,I support this rule

Lol, I was talking something like this with WhiteFang
I was going to mention it in earlier posts, but nah, that won't be polite to found out I'm stalking you guys, ups.
Nevermind.

I have been working deliberately on having all of my factions rubbles properly, except NullMagic.
I'll get to RP today or tomorrow and back to work.

Level 21
Yeah,he started stalking on me and Cakey a while back.I don't mind as long as its RACC related.Anyway,we are going off-topc

Level 24
oooooo, look who's stalking :>

Anyway, since I pretty much control three factions (Omega Egilian, Omega Gryphonus, Alpha Egilian, though Alpha Gryphonus is also one, I'll consider it one of Omega Gryphonus)
I will unite them into one alliance (which will be coming later) if there are some restime after major events

Status
Not open for further replies.