• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Different Zones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Is there any good idea to split your map in zones?

I want to create different zones for example in WoW "Westfall", "Stormwind" and so on.
Now there are different ways to get the zone of an unit.

First :
Just save the new zone when enter it (problem, you have to check every entry of the zones)
Second :
Create regions for the zones and then go to every saved regions and check if the unit is in there (problem...what check every region?)
Third :
Create regions and save every x and y which are in it into a hashtable with the index of the region (nice to read it but guess it sucks when save all)

Level 28
It would be good to know why you want to create different zones - what is the gameplay purpose?

E.g. my campaign The Last Guardian has a fixed camera system like the old Resident Evil games. You enter an area and the camera changes. To check whether the playable hero is an area I have placed regions at the entrances. Sometimes these regions span across an entire area.

Level 2
i want to make a fishing map or lets say...i want to recreate my old version and in different zones there will be different fishes

Level 28
I would make something like this:

ActiveRegionId is an Integer variable

Event:
Unit enters region StormwindEntrance1
Unit enters region StormwindEntrance2
Action:
Set ActiveRegionId = 1

Event:
Unit enters region WestfallEntrance1
Unit enters region WestfallEntrance2
Unit enters region WestfallEntrance3
Action:
Set ActiveRegionId = 2

Event:
Unit uses Fishing ability
Action:
If ActiveRegionId == 1 Then giveStormwindFish Else Do nothing
If ActiveRegionId == 2 Then giveWestfallFish Else Do nothing

So you are basically giving each region a unique identifier which you can always refer to in any other trigger. You can also use them inside RegionArrays for For Loops.

Level 2
ye the problem is then i really have to check every entry of a zone...that can we shitty if you miss any entry...and what about if they can fast travel. then i also have to check it and so on :D you know?^^

Level 28
ye the problem is then i really have to check every entry of a zone...that can we shitty if you miss any entry...and what about if they can fast travel. then i also have to check it and so on :D you know?^^
You can lower the amount of work by placing a single entry region across multiple entrances when they don't overlap with adjacent zones. I don't think it's too much work - how many entrances were you planning per zone? How many other ways are there to get to a zone besides telporting to an innkeeper and flight routes (where you would just have to place another entry region around the innkeeper and the flight master).

Level 2
i just started the map now so i dont really have any idea how many entrances and so on i really have. i just was thinking about the best option to handle this :)

Level 28
In my campaign I have about 20 areas per map with around 3-5 entrances each, including specific places where you could teleport. It's a bit of work, but once it was set up I didn't have to worry about it anymore. Whatever system you choose, make it so you can easily add or remove entrances later, even if it means to make it more complicated at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.