• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Different tech-tree requirements for different levels of ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
E.G. I have the default night elf hero ability blink, it has 3 levels.

Blink level 1, no tech tree requirement.

Blink level 2, upgrade or unit techtree requirement A

Blink level 3, upgrade or unit techtree requirement B

Or do I have to make a new ability for every techtree requirement?

In that case I might as well just scrap that, add some text at the bottom of every ability tooltip which says "requirement for next level of ability bla bla bla" and just straight up set the level for every unit with the ability... But it won't work with normal hero abilities since to level them the normal way you only need the hero level requirement afaik.

I realised that I might not have made my case clear enough so, TL:DR; Can I make a level up requirement for hero abilities to include tech tree requirements? I.E. Level 2 ability would need hero level 3 + required tech upgrade/unit.

Edit: Found myself answering the same question I'm asking a year ago :vw_unimpressed: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...irements-heroes-abilities-255982/#post2571837

Anybody know of a nice custom hero ability level up system?

Level 7
If its just a simple blink spell and you have only 3 levels, it shouldn't require much work.

Make two dummy spell that looks like blink, one with the faded out icon and one normal (base on channel, options uncheck visible).
Change the tooltip of the faded one to make it look like the yellow text from requirements. The NewGen world editor makes this really easy to customize tooltips.

Whenever the requirements are met, just remove the faded dummy and replace with the learning one.

Make blink a unit ability, when they learn the spell give them blink. When they level up the dummy spell increase the level of blink.

If the learn spell = the faded dummy, just unlearn it.

Level 12
If its just a simple blink spell and you have only 3 levels, it shouldn't require much work.

It was just a simple example to demonstrate my issue.

Make two dummy spell that looks like blink, one with the faded out icon and one normal (base on channel, options uncheck visible).

That's pretty clever actually.

Change the tooltip of the faded one to make it look like the yellow text from requirements. The NewGen world editor makes this really easy to customize tooltips.

Whenever the requirements are met, just remove the faded dummy and replace with the learning one.

Make blink a unit ability, when they learn the spell give them blink. When they level up the dummy spell increase the level of blink.

If the learn spell = the faded dummy, just unlearn it.

There's only room for 5 hero abilities though, if I want to mess with this I'm going to have to involve engineering upgrade.

I haven't worked it up yet so I'm not sure, but this sounds like I would have to have 2 different dummy abilities for the same ability and then the extra engineering inside hidden spellbook too..

Unless I'm missing something this sounds like it would be a bit more harder than you made it out to be.

Level 7
Hmmm, not as easy ass I thought.

EDIT: Sorry, I wasn't able to make it without using engineer upgrade.
The next things I can think of are

Get rid of all hero abilities and make them into unit abilities. Use a spell book to replace the learn icon and fill with dummy learn abilities. These dummy learn abilities can have the techtree requirements, can be greyed out and can be changed around by manipulating the spellbook IDs. This lets you have more than 5 spells however you won't see the number for the skill points.

or

Put all of the requirements in text on the learnt tooltip. Use triggers to check if requirements are met. If not then just decrease level and refund the skill point. Can't grey out the icon tho because the techtree works on cast not on learn. Less work but doesn't looks as nice

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.