• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Diablo 3

Diablo 3, good or bad?

• Fantastic can't wait!

Votes: 57 76.0%
  • Sounds fun...

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Would play it but still worried about lore.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Don't care...

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • OH GOD NO NOT MORE LORE RAPE!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I never pay attention to the Lore. Doesn't matter to me because you can still play the game without knowing it.

Most people skip that crap anyway. Go right to the killing of things :)

Level 27
I never pay attention to the Lore. Doesn't matter to me because you can still play the game without knowing it.

Most people skip that crap anyway. Go right to the killing of things :)

Diablo has a very simple story. Non the less its quite a cool story i think. I always liked the movies between each act... i always watched them, they were like some sort of reward when defeating the boss at the end.

Level 14
The story of the game was very simple. I watched the movies a couple of times, they were pretty good. Just pointing out that most people don't watch the movies because they only play on b.net and they don't want to be sitting there watching the movies when they could be playing, or getting rushed.

Level 3
The problem with WoW lore was largely a result of it being an MMO. Take for example the Draenei, who were designed purely so the alliance could have a "not ugly but 'cool' race" without taking into consideration the lore factor. Not to mention a lot of the lead developers on WoW are people who came over for their MMO experience, not their knowledge about warcraft lore.

I doubt Diablo 3 will take the same route, although it's true that most of their team does not make up the developers of the original Diablos, I watched the live stream of the WWI dev panels and the lead Diablo guy definitely knew his shit.

Level 10
IMHO Warcraft lore in WOW was destroyed because its MMO and they needes bosses to kill so they added strongest guys from Warcraft.
But Diablo is not MMO, its just new part of this epic saga.
It's like you'd say that Warcraft 4 will kill warcraft 3 lore.
EDIT: Hmm I see everyone has writed this already..:O. I didn't read other posts. :p

Level 4
Diablo's story is based of all the crazy religious wars and jehads of the real world. Its a dark and uncomfortable subject, which makes for a great story. I think that Diablo would have made a better MMO, as the story isn't set in stone (from what I saw in the Diablo 3 website it looks like fans and authors wrote most of the story)

I would have liked to see them try something other then the top down view however. The demo movie made it look like a cheep xBox arcade download.

Level 3
CoD4 has the worst graphics for a 7th gen console game I have ever seen.
Those graphics belong in a PS2 game.

I am hoping the lore of D3 will not be destroyed like the lore of WC was by WC3.

Thats right...warcraft III killed warcraft lore for me.

Level 9
CoD4 has the worst graphics for a 7th gen console game I have ever seen.
Those graphics belong in a PS2 game.

I am hoping the lore of D3 will not be destroyed like the lore of WC was by WC3.

Thats right...warcraft III killed warcraft lore for me.

You just lost all of your credibility.

You fail.

Level 3
I don't see where it is that I lose credibility...

oh I see!

I dissed CoD4 and expressed a negative opinion towards a Blizzard game.

Level 3
I'm not hating on the game.

All I'm saying is don't like how the lore aspect of Warcraft III was handled.
Does that sound like WC bashing or hating?

And yes it is possible for Blizzard to ruin the lore.
Look at WoW.

Level 3
Where did you get the impression I am blind?

Those graphics just aren't what they could have been.
Too clarify I am specifically talking about the textures.
The actual 3d models are fine.
All the SFX were great too.

GTA IV has better graphics(textures).

And, because I have a negative opinion/one you disagree with I am automatically labeled a whiner?

Level 12
to explain my oppinion further, i can say this

Wc3 was an RTS, and the lore continued onto a MMORPG. When blizzard planned how the game would be played(and how the areas would be created and all that stuff) they realised that they had to change to lore to make it work like they wanted. D3 is the same genre as D2, and therefore, they dont have to work around the lore in order to archieve what they want(or atleast they shouldnt, according to me :p)

Where did you get the impression I am blind?

Those graphics just aren't what they could have been.
Too clarify I am specifically talking about the textures.
The actual 3d models are fine.
All the SFX were great too.

GTA IV has better graphics(textures).

And, because I have a negative opinion/one you disagree with I am automatically labeled a whiner?

CoD's graphics are not shit, they are beautiful. You are not stating an opinion, you are stating it as a fact, and you are wrong.

Level 4
Those New-Gen players are all crappy carebears. Cannot handle a yet simple game, because of it's "OMGZ TEH WURST GRAFIKS". It looks like those kiddies are only playing games just of it's graphics, not it's content. I bet most of them would puke if they get a hold of classic Wolfenstein 3D. End of Case.

Yes, we know exactly what kind of satisfaction. Quit lying to yourself.

Oh I don't lie to myself. I enjoy blowing up an akrid's thermal energy sack with a rocket, the weird mix of orange blood, fire and smoke is satisfying for me.

Graphics are always secondary to actual fun gameplay though.

Level 34
Those New-Gen players are all crappy carebears. Cannot handle a yet simple game, because of it's "OMGZ TEH WURST GRAFIKS". It looks like those kiddies are only playing games just of it's graphics, not it's content. I bet most of them would puke if they get a hold of classic Wolfenstein 3D. End of Case.
Why play old games with shitty graphics, when you can play new games with nice graphics? SC2 doesn't look like as much fun as DoW2 mostly due to the "graphics". Not how nice the textures are, but the action, the effects. DoW2 is just plain fun to watch, and SC is not really that exciting to watch for me.

Level 6
From what we know from the gameplay video we all saw, Id like to say it obviously needs more dead bodies laying around. Though i guess the environment in the video was just one of those dead body free zones. And the witch doctor, im sorry but when i heard that i just thought, Blizzard you are spreading to much warcraft into your other games. They might as well redo the witch doctor and say it is the necromancer. Though a witch doctor can fit in to the diablo environment. So not a big deal to me.

Level 5
I can't wait for Diablo 3.
I don't thing the lore is raped since in the end of d2 said with the destruction of the world stone no one can tell what will happen.

Level 11
Hmm here is some tense conversation about D3 =)
First of all, Lore is very very important in RTS or RPG. WoW is claimed to have Lore but thats pure Bullshit.

I haven't rly played much Diablo 2, but true gamer respects Lore and dont skip cinematics.
Like MGS who would play it without the plot and scenes ? i wouldn't

About the new FPS games..........CoD4 is nice, Crysis is not that great but textures are sweet. I rly dissapointed that There is not much good RPG games coming, only one is Square-Enix.

In late 90's there were good games such FF9, FF8, FF7, Legend of the dragoon, Paper Mario, and other great RPG's (Im dissapointed to myself, i even cant remember most of them).

My point is TOO MUCH FPS, gief RPG and RTS.

Diablo 3 is not going to fail, i think since its been development for many years before the "corruption" of Blizzard. Also what is good thing, there is not many big changes. Only good ones like physics engine and some cooldown and balance stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.