1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Destiny Battle (Hero Defense): Terrainer requested

Discussion in 'Project Recruitment' started by Setokaiva, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Setokaiva

Setokaiva

Resources:
    Resources:
    A few weeks ago, I discovered an unprotected (and uncorrupted) version of a ~7-year old map called Destiny Battle -- one of my favorite Hero Defense games from back in the day. I was able to load it without the object editor data disappearing/refusing to load like it did before, and so I decided to launch a project to revive this map, starting by doing some editing on my own to fix what I could with the triggers, units, items, and terrain. I have made some very solid progress so far, fixing many glitches and even adding some new content here and there.

EDIT: I actually just got a message from the author, Arathil (AdamMighty here on the Hive) saying he's OK with me doing all of this. This after he and the main website have been gone for over 7 years, so I'm very surprised. Still, there won't be any complaints about plagiarism or anything going forward! ^^ I was always intending to give him full credit as the original creator, anyway. As a member of the community that was once based around it, I feel it's sorta my responsibility to try and finish what he started -- because the map was never actually finished.

So, since this is a pretty big project, I'd like to request assistance to speed things along.

Here's what I need, and why. Little to no effort was made to make props that have no collision when it comes to creating the environments and places in the map, for example, so there are a lot of bog-standard gravesites and ruined buildings and such that don't feel... organic enough. They're too straight. Too blocky. If you have experience in using doodads and making great props to enhance the feel of a map, then I. WANT. You.

Here are some pictures:
    Destiny Battle - Examples of work that needs doing

And here is the latest official version of Destiny Battle you can try out, right here on Hive.

(But you can't edit it because this one has corrupted Object Editor data.)

tl;dr - I need help on this map from someone who knows doodads & destructibles, because while I could figure it out given time, I really would like to speed things along if I could. If you're interested in helping me, please contact me via Skype by searching for the name umbranoth, Discord as Setokaiva#7873, or on Steam with the name thedragoneternal -- those are the surest methods of getting in touch with me long-term. Skype is the better of the two for me, though. Also, I'll send the map to you via Hive's pastebin system.

P.S: It'd be a nice bonus if you didn't mind perhaps brainstorming ideas for powerful items and artifacts with me. There are a whole slew of Lv. 2 Epics and Artifacts, plus Cursed Items that need to be figured out.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  2. Setokaiva

Setokaiva

Resources:
    Resources:
  3. Setokaiva

Setokaiva

Resources:
    Resources:
  4. Assassins-Creed

Assassins-Creed

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Maybe describing what you yourself would do to the map to make it better would bring in more possible participants.
    From what I can tell, you're trying to recruit a terrainer.
    Maybe change the title saying "Looking for Terrainer" or something along those lines.
    But if the terrainer is the only one doing work, but you get credit for being the main editor, then why wouldn't the terrainer just edit this himself?
    I am trying to be helpful, sorry if I come off as disrespectful, it's not intentional.

5. Setokaiva

Setokaiva

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's no disrespect, really. I believe I mentioned at the bottom of my original post that I could figure it out given time, and indeed I have been editing the terrain some. However, I'm really busy working on the triggers and object editor right now, so some extra help to handle the terrain would be much appreciated. I consider the screenshots I posted an imgur link to as ample evidence of what I myself would do, or at least areas I'd try to fix. For one thing, I wanted to find some way of making the stone wall doodads blend together so that the turret endings don't have to sit side by side. I've tried working around it before, but couldn't really figure it out. Then I just moved on to more pressing matters, like the aforementioned coding and unit editing. I also thought it'd be rather obvious that whoever helps me would get a mention in the credits for the map; that's standard practice, after all.

tl;dr: I do want a terrainer, yes. I will give credit, but I don't necessarily want that terrainer to do all the work for me. I would point out priority areas (like the screenshots I linked to above) for them to work on, but I'm also very open to suggestions.

I'll go ahead and change the title of this thread to be more accurate. Thanks for the tip!

6. Assassins-Creed

Assassins-Creed

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If you're talking about just making doodads sit on top of each other, then go to the object editor of doodads and on Pathing - Pathing Texture on the preset, click the tab so the list comes down and scroll all the way up and select NONE. But that removes collision, use pathing blockers so that people can't just walk into the doodad.

7. Tuna

Tuna

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hello.
    Can I help even if I'm a new member? I'm interested.
    I'm quite experienced at terraining.

Edit: I saw the images. Yep I can handle em.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  8. Setokaiva

Setokaiva

Resources:
    Resources:
    You most certainly can. ^_^ I just need someone with skill who can spare their time to help me out; Hive Workshop seniority is just a bonus.

9. Setokaiva

Setokaiva

Resources:
    Resources:
    Bumped again. I have not been able to get in contact with the terrainer I tapped to work on Destiny Battle yet, and it has been... well, since February of this year. While I've been excited to see their work that they've sent me so far, I'm ready to look for someone else who may be able to handle this project. Please, I really need a good terrainer & doodad editor who can pretty up this map right now. Even if all you do is help make the map lanes feel more organic by adding additional details to things like the ruined town, it will be a huge help. Please refer to my original post above for contact information, or just send me a PM if you're interested. I eagerly look forward to working with you!

EDIT: I already figured out how to make the stone wall turrets merge on my own. (09/20/17)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  10. Wildfire

Wildfire

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Hi, I'm interested.

11. Setokaiva

Setokaiva

Resources:
    Resources:
    Awesome! Started a conversation with you here on Hive and updated my OP's contact info to include Discord.