• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Destiny Battle (Hero Defense): Terrainer requested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
A few weeks ago, I discovered an unprotected (and uncorrupted) version of a ~7-year old map called Destiny Battle -- one of my favorite Hero Defense games from back in the day. I was able to load it without the object editor data disappearing/refusing to load like it did before, and so I decided to launch a project to revive this map, starting by doing some editing on my own to fix what I could with the triggers, units, items, and terrain. I have made some very solid progress so far, fixing many glitches and even adding some new content here and there.

EDIT: I actually just got a message from the author, Arathil (AdamMighty here on the Hive) saying he's OK with me doing all of this. This after he and the main website have been gone for over 7 years, so I'm very surprised. Still, there won't be any complaints about plagiarism or anything going forward! ^^ I was always intending to give him full credit as the original creator, anyway. As a member of the community that was once based around it, I feel it's sorta my responsibility to try and finish what he started -- because the map was never actually finished.

So, since this is a pretty big project, I'd like to request assistance to speed things along.

Here's what I need, and why. Little to no effort was made to make props that have no collision when it comes to creating the environments and places in the map, for example, so there are a lot of bog-standard gravesites and ruined buildings and such that don't feel... organic enough. They're too straight. Too blocky. If you have experience in using doodads and making great props to enhance the feel of a map, then I. WANT. You.

Here are some pictures:
Destiny Battle - Examples of work that needs doing

And here is the latest official version of Destiny Battle you can try out, right here on Hive.

(But you can't edit it because this one has corrupted Object Editor data.)

tl;dr - I need help on this map from someone who knows doodads & destructibles, because while I could figure it out given time, I really would like to speed things along if I could. If you're interested in helping me, please contact me via Skype by searching for the name umbranoth, Discord as Setokaiva#7873, or on Steam with the name thedragoneternal -- those are the surest methods of getting in touch with me long-term. Skype is the better of the two for me, though. Also, I'll send the map to you via Hive's pastebin system.

P.S: It'd be a nice bonus if you didn't mind perhaps brainstorming ideas for powerful items and artifacts with me. There are a whole slew of Lv. 2 Epics and Artifacts, plus Cursed Items that need to be figured out.

Last edited:
Level 11
Maybe describing what you yourself would do to the map to make it better would bring in more possible participants.
From what I can tell, you're trying to recruit a terrainer.
Maybe change the title saying "Looking for Terrainer" or something along those lines.
But if the terrainer is the only one doing work, but you get credit for being the main editor, then why wouldn't the terrainer just edit this himself?
I am trying to be helpful, sorry if I come off as disrespectful, it's not intentional.

Level 3
Maybe describing what you yourself would do to the map to make it better would bring in more possible participants.
From what I can tell, you're trying to recruit a terrainer.
Maybe change the title saying "Looking for Terrainer" or something along those lines.
But if the terrainer is the only one doing work, but you get credit for being the main editor, then why wouldn't the terrainer just edit this himself?
I am trying to be helpful, sorry if I come off as disrespectful, it's not intentional.
It's no disrespect, really. I believe I mentioned at the bottom of my original post that I could figure it out given time, and indeed I have been editing the terrain some. However, I'm really busy working on the triggers and object editor right now, so some extra help to handle the terrain would be much appreciated. I consider the screenshots I posted an imgur link to as ample evidence of what I myself would do, or at least areas I'd try to fix. For one thing, I wanted to find some way of making the stone wall doodads blend together so that the turret endings don't have to sit side by side. I've tried working around it before, but couldn't really figure it out. Then I just moved on to more pressing matters, like the aforementioned coding and unit editing. I also thought it'd be rather obvious that whoever helps me would get a mention in the credits for the map; that's standard practice, after all.

tl;dr: I do want a terrainer, yes. I will give credit, but I don't necessarily want that terrainer to do all the work for me. I would point out priority areas (like the screenshots I linked to above) for them to work on, but I'm also very open to suggestions.

I'll go ahead and change the title of this thread to be more accurate. Thanks for the tip!

Level 11
If you're talking about just making doodads sit on top of each other, then go to the object editor of doodads and on Pathing - Pathing Texture on the preset, click the tab so the list comes down and scroll all the way up and select NONE. But that removes collision, use pathing blockers so that people can't just walk into the doodad.

Level 1
Hello.
Can I help even if I'm a new member? I'm interested.
I'm quite experienced at terraining.

Edit: I saw the images. Yep I can handle em.

Last edited:
Level 3
You most certainly can. ^_^ I just need someone with skill who can spare their time to help me out; Hive Workshop seniority is just a bonus.

Level 3
Bumped again. I have not been able to get in contact with the terrainer I tapped to work on Destiny Battle yet, and it has been... well, since February of this year. While I've been excited to see their work that they've sent me so far, I'm ready to look for someone else who may be able to handle this project. Please, I really need a good terrainer & doodad editor who can pretty up this map right now. Even if all you do is help make the map lanes feel more organic by adding additional details to things like the ruined town, it will be a huge help. Please refer to my original post above for contact information, or just send me a PM if you're interested. I eagerly look forward to working with you!

EDIT: I already figured out how to make the stone wall turrets merge on my own. (09/20/17)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.