• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Debuff's color change

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAC

VAC

Level 3
Hi guys, I have a question. I'm trying to create a custom buff which looks exactly like Doom <target>, but instead of red and orange I want it to be either dark purple or black. I tried to change the texture used in Magos to PurpleStar.blp but the color remained red; also there is no black texture in both war3.mpq and war3x.mpq. Can someone teach me how to do this and, if it's not too much, create such a buff model so that I can study it? Thank you in advance.

Level 22
If it's entirely particles, go to Node Manager in Magos and edit the Particle Emitter to its desired colors. Note that it's like applying tint to the texture so if the texture was originally red and the color in the particle emitter is purple, it would look red-ish purple. If the texture is however white, then you can apply any tint to it.

VAC

VAC

Level 3
I think I sorted of manage to change the particle color; though only purple works, black does not work at all. However, the glowing fire ring seems to require changing the texture, to which some layers are attached. Is there anyway I can change the color of the fire ring?

Level 22
black does not work at all
I think you have to change the part that says "Additive" to something else. As far as I know, Additive Blend Mode (which I assumed the one you're currently using) makes black = transparent.

Is there anyway I can change the color of the fire ring?
If you use MDXPather, you can easily change the texture of the model. It already includes all aspect of the model such as Material Manager and such.

VAC

VAC

Level 3
I think you have to change the part that says "Additive" to something else. As far as I know, Additive Blend Mode (which I assumed the one you're currently using) makes black = transparent.
- Is Additive the only mode where black does not work? Would changing it mess up the model in anyway?

If you use MDXPather, you can easily change the texture of the model. It already includes all aspect of the model such as Material Manager and such.
- I have no knowledge regarding this program. Is Magos not sufficient?

Level 22
Is Additive the only mode where black does not work? Would changing it mess up the model in anyway?
I don't know, try experimenting with it. That option found in Node Manager -> Edit Particle Emitter Node
Also, you can search the model section for something like "Black Glow" and look how they manage to display black colored particles.

I have no knowledge regarding this program. Is Magos not sufficient?
It's one of the simplest tool out there. If that is not simple, then I don't know what is. You can use Magos too, but I think you have to manually edit the texture used by Particle Emitters and Materials too that's why I suggested using that tool instead. It won't take you half a minute to edit the texture with that tool.

VAC

VAC

Level 3
I don't know, try experimenting with it. That option found in Node Manager -> Edit Particle Emitter Node
Also, you can search the model section for something like "Black Glow" and look how they manage to display black colored particles.
- There is only Black32.blp, no Glow. I tried it, did not work.

It's one of the simplest tool out there. If that is not simple, then I don't know what is. You can use Magos too, but I think you have to manually edit the texture used by Particle Emitters and Materials too that's why I suggested using that tool instead. It won't take you half a minute to edit the texture with that tool
- Okay, I will try it.

Level 14
This is a case of color granted by Geoset Animation. You just need to open the model in Magos, examine the geoset animations until you find the one with a yellow color, and just change it to purple.

Message added just to clarify the issue to those who might end up reading this thread in the future: if your model thing doesn't want to change its color, also try to check its geoset animation in Magos!

Linking a purple version of the model for anybody interested: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/empowerpurple-mdx.264759/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.