• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Death Pact on Living Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I have been testing and it seems there is no way to make Death Pact target a living unit. It must be something else inside the coding of the game itself. The same goes to Entangle can't target air units.

However, in my wandering in World Editor, it seems the Steal ability from the Wand of Mana Stealing item can be a replacement for Death Pact. I made some tests and thing look fine. Can anyone test it and confirm? I really hope this is not an error in my game.

Level 20
Death Pact and Death Coil are hardcoded to target only undead you can't change that.

Must say that I didn't know that Wand of Mana Stealing actually had an option to drain health instead of mana and even kill unit. I personally would have gone with Life Drain set to 1 sec but like your idea is better.

Level 6
Death Pact and Death Coil are hardcoded to target only undead you can't change that.

Must say that I didn't know that Wand of Mana Stealing actually had an option to drain health instead of mana and even kill unit. I personally would have gone with Life Drain set to 1 sec but like your idea is better.

So it is confirmed that Steal can be a replacement for Death Pact?

Level 6
I think it is determined by 5 Data - lines.

Data - Leave Target Alive True/False
Data - Life Conversion As Percent True/False
Data - Life Converted to Life 0.00
Data - Life Converted to Mana 0.00
Data - Mana Conversion As Percent True/False

Data - Leave Target Alive

If it is ticked as True, the Target die. If it is False, the target live.

Data - Life Conversion As Percent True/False
Data - Life Converted to Life 0.00

"Data - Life Converted to Life" (I will call it LCTL) indicates the amount of Life will be stolen from the target. If "Data - Life Conversion As Percent" (LCAP) is set as False, the amount in the LCTL will be percentage as 1.00 equal 100% of the target current life. If the LCAP is set as True, the amount in LCTL will be taken as points.

Texting yields that

Data - Life Conversion As Percent True
Data - Life Converted to Life 50.00

The Target loses 50 Hit points

Data - Life Conversion As Percent False
Data - Life Converted to Life 0.50

The Target loses 50% of its current health.

When "Data - Leave Target Alive" (LTA) is set to True, the amount of health the target lose in LCTL is also dealt to the Caster.

Which means when LTA is True, If the target unit lose 50 hit points, your caster lose 50 hit points. If the Target unit lose 50% of its current health, your caster also lose the same amount.

My Paladin after casting Steal on Troll

Troll currently has 300 HP.

When LTA is True, the Troll loses 50% of its Health (=150 HP). My Paladin also loses 150 HP equal to the amount Troll loses

When LTA is False, Troll die. My Paladin is healed for 150 HP equal to 50% of the amount of Troll's current health.

The Steal is pretty much "Hit point Removal" type. My Paladin with Divine Shield on still loses life.

Data - Life Converted to Mana 0.00
Data - Mana Conversion As Percent True/False

These 2 lines, however, only affect the mana of the unit, not the Life as said in the Life Converted to Mana and it function with the same rule as the 2 above it.

Level 6
Thanks for looking into this, man. I was wondering the same thing, and this is a really useful solution. I was wanting to make a Consume ability like the Defiler on StarCraft has.

I don't think this ability can replace Defiler's Consume ability.

This ability doesn't converse life of the target into your unit's mana. It only transfers mana of the target to your unit.

Level 6
Death Pact can be easily remade using triggers (thus allowing you to make it to your needs), if you can be bothered.

Well, certain triggers repeat themselves twice, such as when i give a trigger.

"A unit using web on another unit, deal 100 damage to the target."

Most the times, it works as it should be but sometimes it deals 200 damage. I try to find the problem but didn't see any thing weird. I look for it on google but didn't found anything. Since then, i only entrust trigger with something that even if it repeat itself, it can not cause any problem like applying buff or poison.

If i make death pact using trigger with a line, set caster's hit points equal ((current hit point of target unit) + current hit point of caster). Chance are your units get healed twice the amount and i don't know how to fix.

Level 11
I've never had that bug before. Might be something weird with web. There are also a few workarounds, like disallowing a unit from being hit by the same spell twice or more within 0.01 seconds by saving its unit ID and having a very short wait.

Anywho if you just want to use the object editor to make something, that's reason enough. Not everything ought to be triggered. And the channel ability has some annoying bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.