• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Data Editor Fields: Effects

Level 11
Data Editor Fields: Effects

Effects
Individual effects used to define abilities, and behaviours.

Information
This is one in a series of tutorials about the fields for the different objects that can be created in the Data Editor.

These fields are based on what is available for the effect, Marine - Gauss Rifle (Damage).

I have put in what I suspect the fields might do, however many are simply a guess. I hope people will post corrections, and share what they know so we may all benefit.
If you have further information to expand on a section, that would be great too.

Other Sections
Legend

Core Effect:The effect you are currently editing.
Core Unit:The unit that is utilizing the effect.
Target Unit:Any unit being directly affected by the core effect.

Field Name

Category
Accepted Values
AI Notify Flags(None)Checklist

Notification sent to the AI when the core effect is activated.​
  • Help Friend: Effects Unknown
  • Hurt Enemy: The AI is told that you are hurting it, and will fight back.
  • Hurt Friend: Effects Unknown
  • Worker Only: Effects Unknown
Needs Confirmation

Amount
(None)Real ‹xx .. xx›

Damage dealt by the core effect. This field is only available for the "Effect Damage" type.​
Area +(None)Various

Values used to define the area of effect for splash damage.​
  • Arc: Damage arc in the search area for the core effect. Needs clarification.
  • Maximum Count: The maximum number of units that the effect can affect. Inputting -1 into this field will set the maximum count to infinite.
  • Radius: Radius of the damage area for the core effect
  • Radius Bonus: Effects Unknown
  • Bonus: Damage bonus for the splash damage
  • Fraction: Percentage of damage dealt by the splash damage.
  • Validator: Effects Unknown
Armour Reduction(None)Real ‹xx .. xx›

Amount of damage that 1 point of armour removes from the effect.​
Attribute Bonus(None)Real ‹xx .. xx›

This determines the damage bonus or penalties applied to target units that have certain attributes.​
Death(None)Drop Down Menu

The type of death animation that the target unit plays if it is killed by this effect.​
  • Blast: Visual Effect Description Needed
  • Disintegrate: Visual Effect Description Needed
  • Eat: Visual Effect Description Needed
  • Electrocute: Visual Effect Description Needed
  • Eviscerate: The unit is cut up into smaller pieces.
  • Fire: The target unit bursts into flames and falls to the ground writhing.
  • Freeze: Visual Effect Description Needed
  • Impace: Visual Effect Description Needed
  • Morph: Varies from unit to unit.
  • Normal: The target unit will play it's normal death animation with no additional effects.
  • Remove: The target unit will disappear instantaneously, with no effects or animations.
  • Salvage: Visual Effect Description Needed
  • Silent Kill: The unit dies quietly, often falling without a wound.
  • Squish: Visual Effect Description Needed
  • Timeout: Visual Effect Description Needed
  • Under Construction: The effect played when construction is canceled. For protoss this means the warp field dispersing. For zerg, the morphing bubble bursts. For terran, the target unit explodes.
  • Unlink: Visual Effect Description Needed
Display Flags(None)Checklist

Unknown​
  • Collapse Buffed: Effects Unknown
  • Expand Upgraded: Effects Unknown
Editor Comment(None)Text Box

Comments left by the map editor on this unit.​
Editor Description(None)Text Box

This text will appear as the unit's tooltip in the editor.​
Editor Name(None)Text

The name displayed in the editor.​
Exclude +(None)Various

Excludes certain units from the area effect. Needs further explanation.[r]
Flags[c](None)[c]Checklist[r]
Various​
  • Kill: Effects Unknown
  • Live: Effects Unknown
  • No Absorb Energy: Effects Unknown
  • No Absorb Life: Effects Unknown
  • No Absorb Shields: Effects Unknown
  • No Behaviour Response: Effects Unknown
  • No Dealt Bonus (Fraction): Effects Unknown
  • No Dealt Bonus (Scaled): Effects Unknown
  • No Dealt Bonus (Unscaled): Effects Unknown
  • No Dealt Maximum: Effects Unknown
  • No Dealt Minimum: Effects Unknown
  • No Gain: The target unit will not gain any Life/Shields/Energy for damage taken from this effect.
  • No Gain Energy: The target unit will not gain any Energy for damage taken from this effect. See Energy Gained From Damage Taken
  • No Gain Life: The target unit will not gain any Life for damage taken from this effect. See Life Gained From Damage Taken
  • No Gain Shields: The target unit will not gain any Shields for damage taken from this effect. See Shields Gained From Damage Taken
  • No Kill Credit: Effects Unknown
  • No Leech: The core unit will not gain any Life/Shields/Energy for damage dealt with this effect.
  • No Leech Energy: The core unit will not gain any Energy for damage dealt with this effect. See Energy Leeched From Damage Dealt
  • No Leech Life: The core unit will not gain any Life for damage dealt with this effect. See Life Leeched From Damage Dealt
  • No Leech Shields: The core unit will not gain any Energy for damage dealt with this effect. See Shields Leeched From Damage Dealt
  • Notification: Effects Unknown
Impact Location +(None)Drop Down Menu

Effects Unknown​
Impact Unit Validator(None)Boolean

Effects Unknown​
Include +(None)Various

Includes certain target units from the area effect. Needs further explanation.​
Kill Hallucination(None)Boolean

When set to true, this ability will auto-kill hallucinations.​
Kind(None)Real

Unknown​
  • Melee: Effects Unknown
  • Ranged: Effects Unknown
  • Spell: Effects Unknown
  • Splash: Effects Unknown
Launch Location +(None)Drop Down Menu

Determines where the core effect is launched from. Needs further explanation.​
Leech Fraction(None)Real ‹xx .. xx›

The core unit will only gain this fraction of the core unit's standard leech, when using the core effect. See Energy Leeched From Damage Dealt, Life Leeched From Damage Dealt, and Shields Leeched From Damage Dealt
Marker +(None)Various

Unknown. Needs extensive explanation.​
Maximum Count(None)Integer ‹xx .. xx›

The maximum number of units that the core effect can affect. Inputting -1 into this field will set the maximum count to infinite.​
Minimum Count(None)Integer ‹xx .. xx›

The minimum number of units that the core effect can affect.​
Minimum Count Error(None)Text

The text displayed if the core effect cannot find the minimum number of targets.​
Race(None)Drop Down Menu

The race to which the effect belongs. For organizational purposes.​
Random(None)Real ‹xx .. xx›

Unknown​
Recycle Count(None)Integer ‹xx .. xx›

Unknown​
Response Flags(None)Checklist

This field forces the effected units to respond in a specific way when the core effect is active.​
  • Acquire: Units that acquire the core unit will be forced to attack it.
  • Flee: Units that acquire the core unit will be forced flee.
Needs Confirmation

Search Filter
(None)Boolean Table

Determines what targets are valid for the search. Needs clarification.​
Search Flags(None)Checklist

Unknown​
  • Call For Help: Effects Unknown
  • Extend By Unit Radius: Effects Unknown
  • Offset By Unit Radius: Effects Unknown
  • Same Cliff Level: Effects Unknown
Shield Bonus(None)Real ‹xx .. xx›

Damage bonus or penalties for damage to shields, done by the core effect.​
Shield Factor(None)Real ‹xx .. xx›

Damage percentage for damage to shields, done by the core effect.​
Target Sorts +(None)Various

Determines how the effect prioritizes potential targets.​
Tech Aliases(None)Text Table

Unknown​
Total(None)Drop Down Menu

Determines how the effect reconciles damage bonuses to different attributes. See Attribute Bonus.​
  • Combine: All the bonuses and penalties are added together.
  • Maximum: The highest bonus/lowest penalty is used.
  • Minimum: The lowest bonus/highest penalty is used.
Visibility(None)Drop Down Menu

This determines what the core effect will look like to players when it is behind fog.​
  • Hidden: The core effect will never be shown when it is behind fog.
  • Snapshot: The core effect will be shown just as it did the last time it was seen, it will not move, and it will be dimmed.
  • Visible: The core effect will always be shown, even when behind fog.
Vital Bonus(None)Real Table ‹xx .. xx›

Unknown​
Vital Fraction Current(None)Real Table ‹xx .. xx›

Unknown​
Vital Fraction Maximum(None)Real Table ‹xx .. xx›

Unknown​

Field Name

Category
Accepted Values
ValidatorsDataBoolean Table

Unknown​

Field Name

Category
Accepted Values
Editor CategoriesEditorDrop Down Menu

Used to organize the unit within the editor.​
Editor PrefixEditorText

This text will be displayed before the core unit's name in the editor.​
Editor SuffixEditorText

This text will be displayed afterthe core unit's name in the editor.​

Credit for Providing Information
  • menn0

Last edited:
Level 11
I really hope you aren't finished, this one isn't anywhere near being complete for effects.

You should add in the fields for Set, Apply Behavior, Search Area, and Create Persistent, just because they are extremely important for making any complex abilities.

Level 11
I am aware,

I will add those ones, but then what I plan to do is put out behaviours and one other, and then come back and start filing in the missing fields.

Its because I only did the fields for the Effect Damage type.

Though from what you said it sounds like you know what those fields do, care to provide a detailed descrption?

Level 3
about the death animation i guess some:
Blast: death from explosion ( an siege mode tank tank shot death).

Evicerate: when unit is teared in parts, like when a marine is cut by an Zealot/Dtemplar.

Morph: the unit don't actually dies, but play it's morph anim. like zling morphing to bling.

Salvage: when unit is salvaged to take resources back, the only one i remember is bunker's one but is quite same an normal death i think.

Silent Kill: when killed in stealth way, like an cloaked Dtemplar stab or an snipe shot. Zergling for example "open" part of the chest where the attack would hitted and falls death with some scenic pose ( take a look it's quite nice).

Time out: the way it dies when the life spam ends, like the broodlings of strutures that explode or the MULE that fall broken.
Under Construction: the way it dies when the building is cancealed, like an Toss build that leaves some "matrix energy cubes" in the ground while warps fade.

not sure about the acid death, but if is not an color-sound modded fire deathmay be de desintegrate or squish one?

Level 1
Hi, I know what these fields mean:

Response Flags

Unknown

* Acquire: Effects Unknown
* Flee: Effects Unknown

This means if you check Acquire that your effect will make the AI attack/go after you if they acquire you as a target when you use this effect (when out of aggro range). Same is for the "flee" field.

AI Notify Flags
Notification sent to the AI when the core effect is activated.

* Hurt Enemy: The AI knows you're hurting it with the effect (silly, huh) and will chase you down.
* Hurt Friend: Effects Unknown
* Worker Only: Effects Unknown

Level 1
Thanks menn0

I've added them, but I put the Needs Confirmation tags.

I have one more from a Beam Tutorial and the ones I already said become... Clear.

http://forums.sc2mapster.com/development/tutorials/3939-data-working-with-beams-beginner-difficulty/

"AI Notify Flags, Flags and Response Flags are VERY important to apply to every damage effect you make. If you don't, the AI won't know what to do when attacked by them which will prevent units you attack from returning fire if your units aren't within their proximity auto-acquire range. In my more advanced tutorials I won't include these as I expect experienced mappers to know this and apply it on their own as needed. Additionally it can help to NOT have units return fire if you need them to hold still long enough to see what happens visually. Keep this in mind when testing abilities. The rest of this tutorial will have these included to help you get acquainted with these fields, however."

It stands under the "The Lancer" tab and then under Effects.

Level 9
I can shed some light on a lot of these fields after extensive use of the editor, I'll try to go in order:
Areas+ Validator uses a Validator to check if the targets of the search return true to the validator used.
Display Flags: Collapse Buffed is used when the effect is referenced as the UI display effect for Weapons, with Collapse Buffed checked true, any bonuses applied to the damage will not represent as a # + # but instead will automatically be added and be displayed as one #.
Flags: Kill - Instant kill on any unit impacted by the effect.
Live - Regardless of how much damage dealt by the effect, the unit will not die to this effect alone.
No Behavior Response - This will nullify any behaviors that respond to this type of effect, for example if this effect is a damage type and is used on an Immortal who has the behavior to reduce all incoming damage to shields to no greater than 10, this will bypass that Behavior Response and deal full damage.
No Dealt X: All relate to the the Behavior - Combat Damage Response+ fields and their respective categories.
No Kill Credit - Denies any experience from being gained by this effect to units with Veterancy behaviors.
Notification - Whether or not the effect will notify the owning player of the targeted unit of the effect.
Impact Location+ - Determines the target point or unit that the effect will center on and what additional effect, if any selected, will be applied.
Kind: Determines the classification of the damage type, this is used in Behavior Modification to determine which types of damage effects will be modified.
Random: In Set effects, this will pick a random effect in its list of effects. In Damage effects, it will add the # to the maximum value of the damage and enable a damage ranging from x through x + #.
Search Flags: Extend By Unit Radius: Increases the Search Area Radius by adding the radius of the unit it is from.
Same Cliff Level: Will only effect units on the same cliff level as the point or unit of origin of the effect.
Vital Bonus: Determines the amount of life, energy or shields added to the target unit of the effect. (Can have negative values)
Vital Fraction Current: Determines the % of the target units current life, energy or shields are added to the target unit of the effect. (Can have negative values)
Vital Fraction Maximum: Determines the % of the target units maximum life, energy or shields are added to the target unit of the effect. (Can have negative values)
Hope that further completes this guide.