• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Role Playing Game] Dark's ORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
This map has been in development for quite some time now and I've decided to get some feedback on it. I have created 4 heroes and a good amount of progression and items as well as a dungeon and 3 quests.

Attachments

• Dark's ORPG Protected.w3x
    1.1 MB · Views: 124
Level 6
From a technical perspective, it is good. You have plenty of systems implemented, from the backpack, to the floating damage numbers... That's the good part.

However, game design is really confusing. All the heroes are badly designed, they have just random skills. Paladin has 2 pure dmg spells? why? You run out of mana instantly...

It's clear that you are good at programming and stuff like that,you can make a great map but you need a lot of work.

Suggestions:

On the technical side:
1)Give all spells the QWER shortcut.
Reason: there's no point to complicate this...
2)Increase movement speed for all heroes
reason: It's annoying, all heroes move like old grandmas.
3)Add a "commands" in the quest menu
reason: modern maps shouldn't go without camera commands,repick...stuff like that

As for the rest, there's too much to say. Play other maps and see how they work. I can help you with the hero design if you want or give my opinion. I tried every hero but didn't like any of them...

Level 2
From a technical perspective, it is good. You have plenty of systems implemented, from the backpack, to the floating damage numbers... That's the good part.

However, game design is really confusing. All the heroes are badly designed, they have just random skills. Paladin has 2 pure dmg spells? why? You run out of mana instantly...

It's clear that you are good at programming and stuff like that,you can make a great map but you need a lot of work.

Suggestions:

On the technical side:
1)Give all spells the QWER shortcut.
Reason: there's no point to complicate this...
2)Increase movement speed for all heroes
reason: It's annoying, all heroes move like old grandmas.
3)Add a "commands" in the quest menu
reason: modern maps shouldn't go without camera commands,repick...stuff like that

As for the rest, there's too much to say. Play other maps and see how they work. I can help you with the hero design if you want or give my opinion. I tried every hero but didn't like any of them...
Thank you for the feedback! I would like help with the hero design because as you could tell none of them were any good and I will definitely look at other maps, and I am willing to add in anything you want me to add in or change as long as I think it's not a bad idea.

Level 6
There are so many maps! that's the problem :D when people play yours, they compare it to others that had years of work put into them...

Do you really want to make this map work? it takes a lot of time, months, years! but if needed, I will help in any way I can. Always wanted to help design a map! been playing RPG maps for years...

Level 2
There are so many maps! that's the problem :D when people play yours, they compare it to others that had years of work put into them...

Do you really want to make this map work? it takes a lot of time, months, years! but if needed, I will help in any way I can. Always wanted to help design a map! been playing RPG maps for years...
I have been playing them years also and I've always wanted to make one so I've been learning GUI and how to make maps and now i've decided i know enough to make one and I'm willing to put in the time it takes to create one no matter how long it takes to create. So ya I want to make it work and it would only make it feel more legit if someone else helped me out with the map

Level 6
OK. Well,I'm glad! There's still optimism in the W3 community!

Let's get into it. Here are 3 heroes. I have stolen ideas and been inspired by many maps, however these are original. I think they could be fun. Maybe in the future heroes will have more than 4 skills, but for now I am making 3 active skills and 1 passive skill for each hero. Some might be harder to code, some might be easier. I will take a look at models,icons etc when the time comes. For now, this is the theory only (and a few links)

1)Hero: Dark Templar
Range:melee
Main Stat: STR (however all 3 stats are useful for him/her)
Role: This is a very versatile hero. With the right items and in the right hands you can be very good. However it's also a high risk hero,without skill you will not be effective.
Special Ability (I don't know if it's possible in the W3 engine, if not, it can be scrapped and redesigned). Depending on how much health you have left, certain abilities get stronger. Some abilities can only be used when your health reaches a certain %.

Skill Q: Sacrificial heal.
Destroy 30%/20%/10% of your HP. After 7/5/3 seconds Heal a friendly unit for the same amount. Has double effect if cast on yourself.You need 50%/70%/90% life to cast this spell. Cooldown 12s/single target/Instant cast.

Explanation:
This hero is very high risk/reward skill, First for the missing health you need, second for the heal delay. If you use it properly it can save you many times. The minimum is 90% so you need to get hurt a little in order to do it. This is to stop spamming or you becoming a healer too much. This is the type of skill I like. In the hands of a noob it will kill you, in the hands of a master it's very,very strong. Also simple to understand and use.

Skill W: Sword of Entropy.
Each of your attacks destroys 0.5% of your hp. After 10 attacks this number doubles and you gain a buff. The more more consecutive hits, the more powerful the buff.(Lvl 1 : 5% total life destroyed. Lvl 2:10% total. Lvl 3:20%. Lvl 4:40%. Lvl 5:80%. Lvl 6:160%. Lvl 7:320%). You can turn off the skill 2 ways: Reach lvl 7 or cast the skill again. If you cast it, You will be unable to move and attack for X seconds(depending on the level you reached) BUT the buff remains active for 60 seconds. Can't be used again until buff wears off. Buff gives HUGE bonus to: Dmg/Armor.

Explanation:
The buff you get is supposed to be strong so the insane life loss is worth it. The description sounds complicated but it's an easy to understand skill: The more you risk your life, the stronger you will get. You can play it safe with lower levels or risk higher ones. You need 10 hits to activate it and 3 seconds to turn it off. So if you play badly, you will die. It's up to you. No mana cost/no cooldown/instant cast.

Skill E: Fires of salvation/Fires of damnation.
Ok. I can do simpler skills that are a lot of fun, not only crazy ones ! This should be easy to do. Casts a fire around your hero in a 300 AOE. When the fire is white, it will heal anyone(including monsters). When the fire is black,it will damage anyone. Fire lasts 9 seconds and changes every 3 seconds. Always follows dark/light pattern. First cast is random. (so either heal-dmg-heal or dmg-heal-dmg)If 70% health it will last 12 seconds, if at 40% it will last 15. Instant cast/AOE/Cooldown 15 sec.

Explanation
Really simple skill. Deals the same amount of damage that it heals (more heal and dmg on monsters maybe, for balance purposes). If you stay put this skill does nothing in the long run. If you run around it's useful!

Passive 1:Hammers of heaven
I really don't like critical strikes, they are too random. So instead this will activate every X amount of strikes(based on hero lvl). You can toggle this skill to get the one you like.
a)Hammer of Wrath: Deals AOE dmg to your enemies, Also give DMG buff in the same small AOE.(lasts 3 seconds)
b)Hammer of Salvation:Heals/gives armor AOE (3 sec)
c)Hammer of Fanaticism:Atackspeed/-atackspeed for enemies
d)Hammer of entropy: Lowers your armor/gives big boost to atackspeed(lasts 3 seconds)

Drops 2 hammers at 90% 3 at 70% 4 at 50% and 5 at 30%. Wait 1 second between each drop.

Explanation: simple skill. You can add a lot of hammers if you like, just gave a few examples. If your health is lower you can get a lot of benefit out of this skill. and with the 1 second delay, your buff will last more and more.

This is the first hero. All I can say, is that this is someone I would like to play.

Hero 2: Moon ranger.

Range:500
Main Stat: Agi
Role: The ranger hero is everywhere. I played hundreds of rangers and many all very similar. This will be a re-imagining of sorts.

Special Ability: Instead of shooting arrows, you shoot wisps. Wisps are invulnerable before they attack the enemy. After the attack, they become a normal unit. Their first attack deals 5x your DMG, after that they deal your dmg. They have very low health and last 4 seconds(1 second to reach an enemy. 1/attack per second.). The only way to balance this is to have very low attack speed. While some heroes can attack 3 times per second, with maximum agi and items the ranger can only attack once every 3 seconds. Otherwise this hero is broken.

Skill Q: Wisp Armada
Shoot out an X amount of wisps at your enemy. Instant cast.long cooldown.

Explanation: very simple skill and also the main one. No matter what path you choose this one will be helpful.

Skill W: Inspiration
Small AOE buff. Heals all allies and gives armor. Also makes all wisps invulnerable for the duration. Short cooldown
Explanation: This, combined with the first skill can be dangerous,deals a lot of dmg.. Even without wisps, the heal and armor comes in handy.

Skill E: Giant Wisp
Summons a huge wisp. Acts as a summoned unit that lasts forever. Can't attack but it can tank. Deals DMG and heals friendly units.. 1 min cooldown, 10 second cast time.

Explanation: Simple skill. Help keep friends alive.

Passive 1:Every X hits, summon a giant wisp instead of a normal one. Giant wisps doesn't deal dmg (only with his skill) and lasts 10 seconds instead of 4.

Explanation: Again, simple to understand. Makes you a little stronger.

3)Hero: Lich
Range:400
Main Stat: INT
Role: Liches like to steal the life essence of enemies. This hero is like a templar in many ways, but more devious.

Special Ability:Has strong skills but looses 1% of HP+ X ( depending lvl or max hp) every second. you need to steal the essence of your enemies and friends to stay alive. Your skills can only be used in Lich mode.

Skill Q: Infernal rock
Destroy x% of your HP and drop a rock on an enemy stunning them. Target is affected by "essence lvl X" buff. Single target.

Explanation: Your opening buff. The essence skill is important.

Skill W:Soul steal
Can only be used on units that have the "essence" buff/debuff. Steals Essence lvl + X hp from all units.

Explanation: This is your healing spell. Used properly you will stay alive.

Skill E:Dark Bargain
The selected unit will lose HP the same way you do. However they get huge bonus to DMG. When cast, also works as a huge AOE taunt. Also gives a very high "essence" buff to the target. Can only be dispelled by soul steal or death. Only 1 active at a time.

Explanation: Dmg bonus is huge and so is the heal potential. However you must remember, stealing HP might kill your ally.

Passive 1: (toggle, need to cast it)
Lich. Loses 1% hp each second.

All I have to say is this: Given a choice, I would love to play with these heroes.(with a good team of course!) If you think the same, then it seems we like the same type of RPG games. I like high risk/reward heroes that are also kinda unique. Simple to understand but hard to master.

Of course, these are only ideas... but I hope they are good ones. Curious what you think.

Level 2
OK. Well,I'm glad! There's still optimism in the W3 community!

Let's get into it. Here are 3 heroes. I have stolen ideas and been inspired by many maps, however these are original. I think they could be fun. Maybe in the future heroes will have more than 4 skills, but for now I am making 3 active skills and 1 passive skill for each hero. Some might be harder to code, some might be easier. I will take a look at models,icons etc when the time comes. For now, this is the theory only (and a few links)

1)Hero: Dark Templar
Range:melee
Main Stat: STR (however all 3 stats are useful for him/her)
Role: This is a very versatile hero. With the right items and in the right hands you can be very good. However it's also a high risk hero,without skill you will not be effective.
Special Ability (I don't know if it's possible in the W3 engine, if not, it can be scrapped and redesigned). Depending on how much health you have left, certain abilities get stronger. Some abilities can only be used when your health reaches a certain %.

Skill Q: Sacrificial heal.
Destroy 30%/20%/10% of your HP. After 7/5/3 seconds Heal a friendly unit for the same amount. Has double effect if cast on yourself.You need 50%/70%/90% life to cast this spell. Cooldown 12s/single target/Instant cast.

Explanation:
This hero is very high risk/reward skill, First for the missing health you need, second for the heal delay. If you use it properly it can save you many times. The minimum is 90% so you need to get hurt a little in order to do it. This is to stop spamming or you becoming a healer too much. This is the type of skill I like. In the hands of a noob it will kill you, in the hands of a master it's very,very strong. Also simple to understand and use.

Skill W: Sword of Entropy.
Each of your attacks destroys 0.5% of your hp. After 10 attacks this number doubles and you gain a buff. The more more consecutive hits, the more powerful the buff.(Lvl 1 : 5% total life destroyed. Lvl 2:10% total. Lvl 3:20%. Lvl 4:40%. Lvl 5:80%. Lvl 6:160%. Lvl 7:320%). You can turn off the skill 2 ways: Reach lvl 7 or cast the skill again. If you cast it, You will be unable to move and attack for X seconds(depending on the level you reached) BUT the buff remains active for 60 seconds. Can't be used again until buff wears off. Buff gives HUGE bonus to: Dmg/Armor.

Explanation:
The buff you get is supposed to be strong so the insane life loss is worth it. The description sounds complicated but it's an easy to understand skill: The more you risk your life, the stronger you will get. You can play it safe with lower levels or risk higher ones. You need 10 hits to activate it and 3 seconds to turn it off. So if you play badly, you will die. It's up to you. No mana cost/no cooldown/instant cast.

Skill E: Fires of salvation/Fires of damnation.
Ok. I can do simpler skills that are a lot of fun, not only crazy ones ! This should be easy to do. Casts a fire around your hero in a 300 AOE. When the fire is white, it will heal anyone(including monsters). When the fire is black,it will damage anyone. Fire lasts 9 seconds and changes every 3 seconds. Always follows dark/light pattern. First cast is random. (so either heal-dmg-heal or dmg-heal-dmg)If 70% health it will last 12 seconds, if at 40% it will last 15. Instant cast/AOE/Cooldown 15 sec.

Explanation
Really simple skill. Deals the same amount of damage that it heals (more heal and dmg on monsters maybe, for balance purposes). If you stay put this skill does nothing in the long run. If you run around it's useful!

Passive 1:Hammers of heaven
I really don't like critical strikes, they are too random. So instead this will activate every X amount of strikes(based on hero lvl). You can toggle this skill to get the one you like.
a)Hammer of Wrath: Deals AOE dmg to your enemies, Also give DMG buff in the same small AOE.(lasts 3 seconds)
b)Hammer of Salvation:Heals/gives armor AOE (3 sec)
c)Hammer of Fanaticism:Atackspeed/-atackspeed for enemies
d)Hammer of entropy: Lowers your armor/gives big boost to atackspeed(lasts 3 seconds)

Drops 2 hammers at 90% 3 at 70% 4 at 50% and 5 at 30%. Wait 1 second between each drop.

Explanation: simple skill. You can add a lot of hammers if you like, just gave a few examples. If your health is lower you can get a lot of benefit out of this skill. and with the 1 second delay, your buff will last more and more.

This is the first hero. All I can say, is that this is someone I would like to play.

Hero 2: Moon ranger.

Range:500
Main Stat: Agi
Role: The ranger hero is everywhere. I played hundreds of rangers and many all very similar. This will be a re-imagining of sorts.

Special Ability: Instead of shooting arrows, you shoot wisps. Wisps are invulnerable before they attack the enemy. After the attack, they become a normal unit. Their first attack deals 5x your DMG, after that they deal your dmg. They have very low health and last 4 seconds(1 second to reach an enemy. 1/attack per second.). The only way to balance this is to have very low attack speed. While some heroes can attack 3 times per second, with maximum agi and items the ranger can only attack once every 3 seconds. Otherwise this hero is broken.

Skill Q: Wisp Armada
Shoot out an X amount of wisps at your enemy. Instant cast.long cooldown.

Explanation: very simple skill and also the main one. No matter what path you choose this one will be helpful.

Skill W: Inspiration
Small AOE buff. Heals all allies and gives armor. Also makes all wisps invulnerable for the duration. Short cooldown
Explanation: This, combined with the first skill can be dangerous,deals a lot of dmg.. Even without wisps, the heal and armor comes in handy.

Skill E: Giant Wisp
Summons a huge wisp. Acts as a summoned unit that lasts forever. Can't attack but it can tank. Deals DMG and heals friendly units.. 1 min cooldown, 10 second cast time.

Explanation: Simple skill. Help keep friends alive.

Passive 1:Every X hits, summon a giant wisp instead of a normal one. Giant wisps doesn't deal dmg (only with his skill) and lasts 10 seconds instead of 4.

Explanation: Again, simple to understand. Makes you a little stronger.

3)Hero: Lich
Range:400
Main Stat: INT
Role: Liches like to steal the life essence of enemies. This hero is like a templar in many ways, but more devious.

Special Ability:Has strong skills but looses 1% of HP+ X ( depending lvl or max hp) every second. you need to steal the essence of your enemies and friends to stay alive. Your skills can only be used in Lich mode.

Skill Q: Infernal rock
Destroy x% of your HP and drop a rock on an enemy stunning them. Target is affected by "essence lvl X" buff. Single target.

Explanation: Your opening buff. The essence skill is important.

Skill W:Soul steal
Can only be used on units that have the "essence" buff/debuff. Steals Essence lvl + X hp from all units.

Explanation: This is your healing spell. Used properly you will stay alive.

Skill E:Dark Bargain
The selected unit will lose HP the same way you do. However they get huge bonus to DMG. When cast, also works as a huge AOE taunt. Also gives a very high "essence" buff to the target. Can only be dispelled by soul steal or death. Only 1 active at a time.

Explanation: Dmg bonus is huge and so is the heal potential. However you must remember, stealing HP might kill your ally.

Passive 1: (toggle, need to cast it)
Lich. Loses 1% hp each second.

All I have to say is this: Given a choice, I would love to play with these heroes.(with a good team of course!) If you think the same, then it seems we like the same type of RPG games. I like high risk/reward heroes that are also kinda unique. Simple to understand but hard to master.

Of course, these are only ideas... but I hope they are good ones. Curious what you think.
You have some very good ideas here but I just feel that they are really out of the ordinary and unexpected for an rpg and more fit for something like dota.

Level 6
what kind of RPGs do you like? These skills don't seem all that wierd. The Black Road, the kingdoms of kaliron, Sunken city,guild of Hyppos...Just to name a few. Each have interesting skills, not the king you find in standard W3 maps

Level 2
what kind of RPGs do you like? These skills don't seem all that wierd. The Black Road, the kingdoms of kaliron, Sunken city,guild of Hyppos...Just to name a few. Each have interesting skills, not the king you find in standard W3 maps
Well I've actually decided to move to spell books where you get more abilities in the book as you level rather then just the normal 4-5 ability skill system of Warcraft 3

Status
Not open for further replies.