1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Daily Wisdom

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Rufus, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Lord Esdin

Lord Esdin

Resources:
    Resources:
  2. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  3. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  4. Lord Esdin

Lord Esdin

Resources:
    Resources:
  5. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    “For this cause also children cannot be happy, for they are not old enough to be capable of noble acts; when children are spoken of as happy, it is in compliment to their promise for the future.”
    ----
    “Hence, since every finite body is exhausted by the repeated abstraction of a finite body, it seems obviously to follow that everything cannot subsist in everything else. For let flesh be extracted from water and again more flesh be produced from the remainder by repeating the process of separation: then, even though the quantity separated out will continually decrease, still it will not fall below a certain magnitude. If, therefore, the process comes to an end, everything will not be in everything else (for there will be no flesh in the remaining water); if on the other hand it does not, and further extraction is always possible, there will be an infinite multitude of finite equal particles in a finite quantity—which is impossible.”
    ----
    “The saddest of all tragedies - the wasted life”
    ----
    “For instance, it is not the function of medicine to restore a patient to health, but only to promote this end as far as possible; for even those whose recovery is impossible may be properly treated.”
    ----
    “The megalopsychos cannot let anyone else, except a friend, determine his life. For that would be slavish; and this is why all flatterers are servile and inferior people are flatterers.”
    ----
    “All the elements of an Epic poem are found in Tragedy, but the elements of a Tragedy are not all found in the Epic poem.”
    ----
    “For the carpenter's and the geometer's inquiries about the right angle are different also; the carpenter restricts himself to what helps his work, but the geometer inquires into what, or what sort of things, the right angle is, since he studies the truth. We must do the same, then in other areas too, [seeking the proper degree of exactness], so that digressions do not overwhelm our main task.”
    ----
    “Every tragedy consists in tying and untying of a knot.”
    ----
    “With regard to sleep and waking, we must consider what they are: whether they are peculiar to soul or to body, or common to both; and if common, to what part of soul or body the appertain: further, from what cause it arises that they are atributes of animals, and whether all animals share in them both, or some partake of the one only, others of the other only, or some partake of neither and some of both.”
    ----
    “The physician and the philosopher have different ways of defining the diseases of the soul. For instance anger for the philosopher is a sentiment born of the desire to return an offense, whereas for the physician it is a surging of blood around the heart.”
    ----
    “And if a man believes nothing, but believes it equally so and not so, how would his state be different from a vegetable's?”
    ----
    “There are four possible ways of preventing a man from working his argument [161a1] to a conclusion. It can be done either by demolishing the point on which the falsity that comes about depends, or by stating an objection directed against the questioner—for often when a solution has not as a matter of fact been brought, yet the questioner is rendered thereby unable to pursue the argument any farther. Thirdly, one may object to the questions asked; for it may happen that what the questioner [5] wants does not follow from the questions he has asked because he has asked them badly, whereas if something additional is granted the conclusion comes about. If, then, the questioner is unable to pursue his argument farther, the objection will be directed against the questioner; if he can do so, then it will be against his questions. The fourth and worst kind of objection is that which is directed to the time allowed for discussion; for some people bring objections of a kind which would take longer to [10] answer than the length of the discussion in hand.”
    ----
    “Men ought not to labor at the same time with their minds and with their bodies; for the two kinds of labor are opposed to one another; the labor of the body impedes the mind, and the labor of the mind the body.”

~Aristoteles.

[​IMG]

6. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  7. Lord Esdin

Lord Esdin

Resources:
    Resources:
  8. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    “Now he who exercises his reason and cultivates it seems to be both in the best state of mind and most dear to the gods. For if the gods have any care for human affairs, as they are thought to have, it would be reasonable both that they should delight in that which was best and most akin to them (i.e. reason) and that they should reward those who love and honour this most, as caring for the things that are dear to them and acting both rightly and nobly. And that all these attributes belong most of all to the philosopher is manifest. He, therefore, is the dearest to the gods. And he who is that will presumably be also the happiest; so that in this way too the philosopher will more than any other be happy.”
    ----
    “There is only one condition in which we can imagine managers not needing subordinates, and masters not needing slaves. This condition would be that each instrument could do its own work, at the word of command or by intelligent anticipation, like the statues of Daedalus or the tripods made by Hephaestus, of which Homer relates that "Of their own motion they entered the conclave of Gods on Olympus", as if a shuttle should weave of itself, and a plectrum should do its own harp playing.”
    ----
    “Most people-all, in fact, who regard the whole heaven as finite-say it lies at the centre. But the Italian philosophers known as Pythagoreans take the contrary view. At the centre, they say, is fire, and the earth is one of the stars, creating night and day by its circular motion about the centre. They further construct another earth in opposition to ours to which they give the name counterearth. In all this they are not seeking for theories and causes to account for observed facts, but rather forcing their observations and trying to accommodate them to certain theories and opinions of their own. But there are many others who would agree that it is wrong to give the earth the central position, looking for confirmation rather to theory than to the facts of observation. Their view is that the most precious place befits the most precious thing: but fire, they say, is more precious than earth, and the limit than the intermediate, and the circumference and the centre are limits. Reasoning on this basis they take the view that it is not earth that lies at the centre of the sphere, but rather fire. The Pythagoreans have a further reason. They hold that the most important part of the world, which is the centre, should be most strictly guarded, and name it, or rather the fire which occupies that place, the 'Guardhouse of Zeus', as if the word 'centre' were quite unequivocal, and the centre of the mathematical figure were always the same with that of the thing or the natural centre. But it is better to conceive of the case of the whole heaven as analogous to that of animals, in which the centre of the animal and that of the body are different. For this reason they have no need to be so disturbed about the world, or to call in a guard for its centre: rather let them look for the centre in the other sense and tell us what it is like and where nature has set it. That centre will be something primary and precious; but to the mere position we should give the last place rather than the first. For the middle is what is defined, and what defines it is the limit, and that which contains or limits is more precious than that which is limited, see ing that the latter is the matter and the former the essence of the system. (2-13-1)

There are similar disputes about the shape of the earth. Some think it is spherical, others that it is flat and drum-shaped. For evidence they bring the fact that, as the sun rises and sets, the part concealed by the earth shows a straight and not a curved edge, whereas if the earth were spherical the line of section would have to be circular. In this they leave out of account the great distance of the sun from the earth and the great size of the circumference, which, seen from a distance on these apparently small circles appears straight. Such an appearance ought not to make them doubt the circular shape of the earth. But they have another argument. They say that because it is at rest, the earth must necessarily have this shape. For there are many different ways in which the movement or rest of the earth has been conceived. (2-13-3)”
    ----
    “For if Being is just one, and one in the way mentioned, there is a principle no longer, since a principle must be the principle of some thing or things.”
    ----
    “We physicists, on the other hand, must take for granted that the things that exist by nature are, either all or some of them, in motion—which is indeed made plain by induction.”
    ----
    “Even subjects that are known are known only to a few”
    ----
    “And it will often happen that a man with wealth in the form of coined money will not have enough to eat; and what a ridiculous kind of wealth is that which even in abundance will not save you from dying with hunger!”

~Aristoteles.

[​IMG]

9. Togra_blah

Togra_blah

Resources:
    Resources:
    "Are you speaking scientifically or emotionally?"
    ----
    "Being split in two halves is no theory with me. [...] I have a human half, you see, as well as an alien half, submerged, constantly at war with each other. [...] I survive it because my intelligence wins out over both, makes them live together."
    ----
    "If I seem insensitive to what you're going through, understand, it's the way I am."
    ----
    "Consider the alternatives, Mister Scott." (Scott: We have no fuel! What alternatives?) "Mister Scott, there are always alternatives."
    ----
    "I object to intellect without discipline. I object to power without constructive purpose."

~Mr. Spock

10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  11. Togra_blah

Togra_blah

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't know how to respond to that, deespstrasz.

If my quotes of Mr. Spock from Star Trek are out of place here, I will find somewhere more appropriate to put them.

-----------------------------------------------------

"Vulcans do not speculate. I speak from pure logic. If I let go of a hammer on a planet that has a positive gravity, I need not see it fall to know that it has in fact fallen."
    ----
    "Insufficient facts always invite danger."
    ----
    "The Horta has a very logical mind and after close association with humans, I find that curiously refreshing."
    ----
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

~Mr. Spock

12. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Didn't you want to link the one with loneliness on the other thread? This one is related :D
    If it still passes as Daily Wisdom, then why not?

13. Togra_blah

Togra_blah

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ah, I guess I was just confused by the @ tag - the video certainly qualifies as daily wisdom, but I was struggling to see how it might directly apply to my prior reply.

I'll try to pick Spock quotes that adhere to the theme.

Keep me posted if they start to stray off target.

14. Lord Esdin

Lord Esdin

Resources:
    Resources:
  15. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  16. Togra_blah

Togra_blah

Resources:
    Resources:
    "Worry is a human emotion, Captain. I accept what has happened."
    ----
    "Change is the essential process of all existence."
    ----
    "Live long and prosper."

~Mr. Spock

17. Lord Esdin

Lord Esdin

Resources:
    Resources:
  18. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    “For the various necessaries of life are not easily carried about, and hence men agreed to employ in their dealings with each other something which was intrinsically useful and easily applicable to the purposes of life, for example, iron, silver, and the like. Of this the value was at first measured by size and weight, but in process of time they put a stamp upon it, to save the trouble of weighing and to mark the value.”
    ----
    “There seems to be in us a sort of affinity to musical modes and rhythms, which makes some philosophers say that the soul is a tuning, others, that it possesses tuning.”

~Aristoteles.

[​IMG]

“Holding as we do that, while knowledge of any kind is a thing to be honoured and prized, one kind of it may, either by reason of its greater exactness or of a higher dignity and greater wonderfulness in its objects, be more honourable and precious than another, on both accounts we should naturally be led to place in the front rank the study of the soul. The knowledge of the soul admittedly contributes greatly to the advance of truth in general, and, above all, to our understanding of Nature, for the soul is in some sense the principle of animal life. Our aim is to grasp and understand, first its essential nature, and secondly its properties; of these some are thought to be affections proper to the soul itself, while others are considered to attach to the animal owing to the presence of soul.

To attain any knowledge about the soul is one of the most difficult things in the world. As the form of question which here presents itself, viz. the question 'What is it?', recurs in other fields, it might be supposed that there was some single method of inquiry applicable to all objects whose essential nature we are endeavouring to ascertain (as there *is* for incidental properties the single method of demonstration); in that case what we should have to seek for would be this unique method. But if there is no such single and general method for solving the question of essence, our task becomes still more difficult; in the case of each different subject we shall have to determine the appropriate process of investigation. If to this there be a clear answer, e.g. that the process is demonstration or division, or some other known method, many difficulties and hesitations still beset us—with what facts shall we begin the inquiry? For the facts which form the starting-points in different subjects must be different, as e.g. in the case of numbers and surfaces.

First, no doubt, it is necessary to determine in which of the *summa genera* soul lies, what it *is*; is it 'a this-somewhat', a substance, or is a quale or a quantum, or some other of the remaining kinds of predicates which we have distinguished? Further, does soul belong to the class of potential existents, or is it not rather an actuality? Our answer to this question is of the greatest importance."

~Aristoteles.

19. Scorpio

Scorpio

Resources:
    Resources:
  20. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources: