• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom units on allied teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I'm trying to get a few custom units to only be on and be trained by an allies team, while my team has regular units. Is there anyway to accomplish this easily? I've already tried adding them to the trained units on the barracks, but it doesn't train. I've tried doing triggers, but I don't necessarily want it to loop endlessly nor have a set limit. I just want to have a different model for units on an allied team, and regular models on my team

I'm trying to get a few custom units to only be on and be trained by an allies team, while my team has regular units. Is there anyway to accomplish this easily? I've already tried adding them to the trained units on the barracks, but it doesn't train. I've tried doing triggers, but I don't necessarily want it to loop endlessly nor have a set limit. I just want to have a different model for units on an allied team, and regular models on my team

Is the ally always a computer?

Do you want it just to have custom models? You can set the standard units to the custom ones you want but first make copies for your team. This way the AI will use the custom units just like normal and you can have the normal units (though they will actually be copies).

Level 9
Is the ally always a computer?

Do you want it just to have custom models? You can set the standard units to the custom ones you want but first make copies for your team. This way the AI will use the custom units just like normal and you can have the normal units (though they will actually be copies).

What do you mean make copies? I'm remaking the original campaigns, and the map I'm talking about is Cry of the Warsong, so it would be the Warsong Clan's AI that was already in the map. I've already tried making custom units and had them train at the Warsong barracks, but it didn't work.

Ok, I think you get it but you are doing it backwards. Make the AI use the standard default units (not copies/custom units).

Copies for the Player's Team:

But for your player's team units use custom units. You can make them based the original standard units, by making duplicates in OE. Copy and paste the units in OE. Set the new unit to default unit data. Now your player's team units should look exactly how they do now - perfect. No problems there right? Copies! Got it?

Now for the allied units:

AI uses unit IDs. So when you copy an unit is makes a new ID for that unit. So when you make custom units the AI will not build them or use them the same way it normally would. In fact, it won't even try to create them in barracks because it is trying to create units with the original default ID. Now for the ally units, let us use the standard units but then change their models. Ok, now for example we can have a footman that looks like a grunt. The AI will use it exactly like how it would normally use a footman. So now your ally team can have custom units that the AI uses just like normal units. Change the names and any other data you like.

Level 9
Ok, I think you get it but you are doing it backwards. Make the AI use the standard default units (not copies/custom units).

Copies for the Player's Team:

But for your player's team units use custom units. You can make them based the original standard units, by making duplicates in OE. Copy and paste the units in OE. Set the new unit to default unit data. Now your player's team units should look exactly how they do now - perfect. No problems there right? Copies! Got it?

Now for the allied units:

AI uses unit IDs. So when you copy an unit is makes a new ID for that unit. So when you make custom units the AI will not build them or use them the same way it normally would. In fact, it won't even try to create them in barracks because it is trying to create units with the original default ID. Now for the ally units, let us use the standard units but then change their models. Ok, now for example we can have a footman that looks like a grunt. The AI will use it exactly like how it would normally use a footman. So now your ally team can have custom units that the AI uses just like normal units. Change the names and any other data you like.

I got it for the most part. The only problem now is that I had to add the custom units to the barracks for my team to have the models that I wanted, but it also kept the new models with the regular units trainable still. So how do I remove Warsong's units from the my barracks and still have them train at theirs, or is that not possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.