• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Custom Spell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hello, I'm new to map making and I started yesterday(literally xD) to learn trigger editor so I don't know how to use it properly to make my own spell.

I need a spell that is cast on a friendly unit or a hero. The spell needs to work as a shield, like this:

The "shield" has 200 damage absorption capacity(for example), and when the "shield" has suffered 200 damage it disappears and spell stops working, the unit will take damage normally.

The "shield" needs to be protection only against attacks, not spells, needs to have 3 levels for which I can easily change duration, damage absorption capacity, cooldown, buff and custom model it uses - the standard stuff a spell should have.

I would be very grateful if someone could help me. :D :D :D

Level 4
So basically you need someone to make Aphotic Shield for you.

You won't be able to create this yourself if you started modding yesterday, because this requires stuff like damage detection, not to mention the management of instances of each spell cast.

He doesn't want the damage to be reflected, so he can just use mana shield and give the unit x amount of mana

He doesn't want the damage to be reflected, so he can just use mana shield and give the unit x amount of mana

You don't even understand the problems your "solution" creates. Also I didn't say one thing about reflecting anything. There's no easy solution to this problem, that works well. Well, it's both easy and works well, if you can code it.

Level 4
That's called mana shield. Just modify the values

No, I need to cast the spell on friendly unit and self, not just self and it mustn't use mana to absorb because I would cast it on unit with or without any mana.

So basically you need someone to make Aphotic Shield for you.

You won't be able to create this yourself if you started modding yesterday, because this requires stuff like damage detection, not to mention the management of instances of each spell cast.

Yes, I know, but I got to learn somehow. It would be great if I had level of need accordingly to my skill level, but that will never be the case I would say. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I know, but I got to learn somehow. It would be great if I had level of need accordingly to my skill level, but that will never be the case I would say. :)

The problem is that you kind of need to learn some programming to do this yourself, and to learn to use some systems (like damage detection) in order to create this. Also it'd be best to use vjass/wurst to aid you in writing this instead of doing it in raw jass, since that's both frustrating and stupid, but if you want to get there, it's a slow ride, but it doesn't require you to be a genius.

To be honest with you, it'd take some months before you're able to code the stuff you need yourself, and that's being generous in a way, but if you start learning, you'll actually have some useful knowledge you can expand on later, but it'd be way more useful if you were like 15 and into computer stuff, so you could think about a programming career, I can't really recommend someone who's 24 to start programming most of the time, unless you're really passionate about wc3.

Level 4
The problem is that you kind of need to learn some programming to do this yourself, and to learn to use some systems (like damage detection) in order to create this. Also it'd be best to use vjass/wurst to aid you in writing this instead of doing it in raw jass, since that's both frustrating and stupid, but if you want to get there, it's a slow ride, but it doesn't require you to be a genius.

To be honest with you, it'd take some months before you're able to code the stuff you need yourself, and that's being generous in a way, but if you start learning, you'll actually have some useful knowledge you can expand on later, but it'd be way more useful if you were like 15 and into computer stuff, so you could think about a programming career, I can't really recommend someone who's 24 to start programming most of the time, unless you're really passionate about wc3.

And why are you suggesting me not to learn JASS?

I know I can't do this myself but that is why I posted this in REQUEST category. I'm sure I can import the code into my map? :)

Well, I am saying, coding might not be your cup of tea, so it's indeed the best course of action to have someone else code this for you, just as you've requested.

A lot of the time when people make requests, especially when they're relatively new to the community, it's fitting to first go through the idea of whether they should learn to attain the skill themselves to do something, or just have the request fulfilled by someone else. The reason is, if you're fresh in wc3 modding, there are lots of things to learn and find yourself in it, that's my point.

Still though, If I did jass/vjass I'd do this for you since it sounds fun, but as I only write wurst it'd be hard for you to import the spell.

Level 4
Well, I am saying, coding might not be your cup of tea, so it's indeed the best course of action to have someone else code this for you, just as you've requested.

A lot of the time when people make requests, especially when they're relatively new to the community, it's fitting to first go through the idea of whether they should learn to attain the skill themselves to do something, or just have the request fulfilled by someone else. The reason is, if you're fresh in wc3 modding, there are lots of things to learn and find yourself in it, that's my point.

Still though, If I did jass/vjass I'd do this for you since it sounds fun, but as I only write wurst it'd be hard for you to import the spell.

Well I know a great deal about wc3 editor, and I have done some things in modeling that was required(adjusting models), making icons and so on. But when it comes to custom spells, its harder to learn how to do that and takes a lot of time, and you know how much the spells are important in wc3. xD

Level 4
It's the closest thing but as I said, I don't have any skills of triggering and programming so I need precisely spell for my needs. If this can be modified by someone it would be great. :D

Just follow the manual, it's going to guide through the installation.

For it to have 3 levels, just copy the ones with [2] and paste it, change it to [3] and set the value.
Change duration to 0.00 and set the HasTimeLimit variable to false.

EDIT :
Also, set the max damage to something like 999999 (an amount that any damage cannot reach in-game).
In Danku Shield trigger, add DAMAGE_TYPE_DETECTOR equals to PHYSICAL (use Integer comparison).

Level 4
Is not option to you going to read a beginners tutorial and start beginning make a simple spells?
If you start on modding be copy a spell that you don't understand, i think this is a bad way to learn.

I read few tutorials on that topic already, its not that easy, and I don't need any other spell for now, I need just this one.

Level 4
Just follow the manual, it's going to guide through the installation.

For it to have 3 levels, just copy the ones with [2] and paste it, change it to [3] and set the value.
Change duration to 0.00 and set the HasTimeLimit variable to false.

EDIT :
Also, set the max damage to something like 999999 (an amount that any damage cannot reach in-game).
In Danku Shield trigger, add DAMAGE_TYPE_DETECTOR equals to PHYSICAL (use Integer comparison).

That what you said is the only thing I know how to do. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.