• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Melee] Custom Race Techtree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
IMG_2906.JPG

View attachment 323224
Hello my loves :ogre_love::ogre_love:, good afternoon !!
All right with you:goblin_yeah:?
One of my favorite factions of the Warcraft fantasy is the Fanatic Scarlet Crusade.

I am a student of the areas of Humanities (In Brazil, they are areas of studies of Sociology, History, Anthropology, etc.)
And this made me very fond of Scarlet Crusade, since I spent several nights studying Middle Ages:grin:, Crusades :spell_breaker: and Inquisition :pal:. than the fact that I am a Roman Catholic :xxd:. What made me fall in love :aht: with medieval-themed games.

I've been editing a map, well in the traditional Melee style. In this personal project I decided to substitute the Human :peasant-blushing:race for the Scarlet Crusade and perhaps in the future, the Undead :vw_sad:race for Forsaken.

I would very much like you to help me by giving ideas of Units , Heroes, Abilities, Buildings, etc.

Because if I made a Faction with ALL the elements (Ranks and classes present in World of Warcraft) of this red faction, it would be something very unbalanced.

Then I need the opinion of yours. :infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up:

Level 7
For heroes I would suggest healing spells, spells that buff up units (like roar) and spells that are specifically designed to damage the undead, like a spell that mimics the effect of starfall but does it with rays of light and only damages the undead. You can make a summonable unit like a healing ward but with lots of hp that not only heals your units but also damages any undead in the area, I haven't really done any scarlet crusade themed stuff so that's all I can suggest from my modding experience.

Level 6
IMG_2930.JPG Scarlet Mage

High skilled conjurer that gives magic assistance to the Crusaders in the battlefield, using arcane powers.

Can cast:

IMG_2925.GIF Slow - Slows a target enemy unit's attack rate by 25% and movement speed by 60%.

IMG_2924.JPG Flame Shield - Forms a shield of flames around a target unit, dealing 20 fire damage per second to units around it.

IMG_2926.JPG Polymorph - Turns a target enemy unit into a sheep or flying sheep. The targeted unit retains its hit points, but cannot attack. Cannot be cast on Heroes or Summoned units.

IMG_2923.JPG Tidal Wave - A crushing tidal wave that ripples out from the Mage, dealing 300 damage to land units in a line.

If you need a decent model for him, i recommend the WCII Mage made by loktar.
IMG_2927.PNG

Apply those skins (by Heinvers and Ujimasa Hojo) to gives him a "scarlet" style like in World of Warcraft - Cataclyms.

IMG_2928.PNG

IMG_2929.JPG

Level 4
View attachment 323465 Scarlet Mage

High skilled conjurer that gives magic assistance to the Crusaders in the battlefield, using arcane powers.

Can cast:

View attachment 323466 Slow - Slows a target enemy unit's attack rate by 25% and movement speed by 60%.

View attachment 323468 Flame Shield - Forms a shield of flames around a target unit, dealing 20 fire damage per second to units around it.

View attachment 323469 Polymorph - Turns a target enemy unit into a sheep or flying sheep. The targeted unit retains its hit points, but cannot attack. Cannot be cast on Heroes or Summoned units.

View attachment 323467 Tidal Wave - A crushing tidal wave that ripples out from the Mage, dealing 300 damage to land units in a line.

If you need a decent model for him, i recommend the WCII Mage made by loktar.
View attachment 323470

Apply those skins (by Heinvers and Ujimasa Hojo) to gives him a "scarlet" style like in World of Warcraft - Cataclyms.

View attachment 323471
View attachment 323472

Too strongest lol Thank You ❤️

I need to balance him. I need to remove Polymorph or Tidal Wave.
Slow and Flame Shield are too powerful and useful.
"Slow" to weaken the enemies attacks and speed, and Flame Shield is good against enemies next to each other.

Tidal Wave is a powerful damage-dealer ability, Polymorph is good to imobilize, but one of them needs to be omited.

Last edited:
Level 4
Seems significantly too powerful.(the caster)
Anyway I suggest you check the already existing scarlet crusades to try to have your unique version of it(I know at least 2 scarlet crusade races)

Of course lol too powerful!

I'm having some difficulties to develop a decent Techtree. I'm trying to give more "uniqueness" to the units. No repetitive units (Ex: An archer wearing the same body as a Footman).

The Scarlet Crusade has many types of warriors and classes in the army composition.
I fear there may be imbalance.
I think I'll have to omit certain ranks.

The Chasing the Dawn campaign discouraged me, haha. I think I'm going to abandon this project. I'll think about developing something else, maybe a campaign like Rexxar Missions, with Chapters and Acts.

I'll try to explore my own creativity...

Never Mind... Thank you

Level 4
For heroes I would suggest healing spells, spells that buff up units (like roar) and spells that are specifically designed to damage the undead, like a spell that mimics the effect of starfall but does it with rays of light and only damages the undead. You can make a summonable unit like a healing ward but with lots of hp that not only heals your units but also damages any undead in the area, I haven't really done any scarlet crusade themed stuff so that's all I can suggest from my modding experience.

Thank you ❤️

Level 35
I think the first thing you would want to consider is the kind of playstyle you want this to have.
For example, while the traditional humans come across as being more stalwart and defense capable, what would the Scarlet Crusade do differently, if anything? Would they be more purge happy? Or would they be a slow moving defensive wall that creeps forwards while causing death by fire against any and everything?

Then you will need to fill out unit roles, like the basic tier 1 melee and ranged units, siege options, caster options, flying options, anti-caster options.

Level 11
Well, first of all, there is a very repetitive post, i recommend you to use the edit button.

Also, the idea isn't bad, if you make it well.
Most of the actually scarlet crusade techtrees are focused in the defensive and healing style, being like a more extreme human race.
Do you know about the scarlet onslaught? They are a group into the scarlet crusade, and who enter to Northrend.
The point is that they are more like a offensive (and healing) race, with purging fire, and all this. If you create
a techtree focused from that side, your race will be interesting. Some like:
-Crusader: Basic soldier, 450 HP, 20 damage, and a Sacred Light based abilitie, with a upgrade, obviously.
-Archer: Some like... The archer.
-Crusader Knight: A most powerful crusader, with a AoE abilitie, and some like 700 HP, 35 damage.
-Priest: Healer and AoE damage.
-Sacred sorceress: Purgator fire: Some like immolation. Polymorph. A Sacred light based abilitie, but can't heal, and makes an amount of damage to undead units.
(You will need flying units here, i have no ideas for this)

About the heroes, a High priest, an executor, a High Inquisitor, and maybe a High Crusader can work.

Level 5
It would be cool if we get a properly fleshed out Naga race! Naga heroes, transport vehicles, everything!

Murlocs,

Goblins,

Demons (like Sargeras's people)

Nerubians

Centaur (like the Keeper of the Grove for Night Elves, or Dryads)

Level 11
There are a lot of Demon techtrees, but, if you use Shivarras and Mo'args, you will be original.
@EggPooPoo Like a lore lover as I am, i will say that the Keepers of the Grove and the dryads will never get along with centaurs, but the other races are good idea.

Level 4
Well, first of all, there is a very repetitive post, i recommend you to use the edit button.

Also, the idea isn't bad, if you make it well.
Most of the actually scarlet crusade techtrees are focused in the defensive and healing style, being like a more extreme human race.
Do you know about the scarlet onslaught? They are a group into the scarlet crusade, and who enter to Northrend.
The point is that they are more like a offensive (and healing) race, with purging fire, and all this. If you create
a techtree focused from that side, your race will be interesting. Some like:
-Crusader: Basic soldier, 450 HP, 20 damage, and a Sacred Light based abilitie, with a upgrade, obviously.
-Archer: Some like... The archer.
-Crusader Knight: A most powerful crusader, with a AoE abilitie, and some like 700 HP, 35 damage.
-Priest: Healer and AoE damage.
-Sacred sorceress: Purgator fire: Some like immolation. Polymorph. A Sacred light based abilitie, but can't heal, and makes an amount of damage to undead units.
(You will need flying units here, i have no ideas for this)

About the heroes, a High priest, an executor, a High Inquisitor, and maybe a High Crusader can work.

Thank you!
Unfortunately this "map has fallen", i has abandoned it long time ago :3

Level 5
There are a lot of Demon techtrees, but, if you use Shivarras and Mo'args, you will be original.
@EggPooPoo Like a lore lover as I am, i will say that the Keepers of the Grove and the dryads will never get along with centaurs, but the other races are good idea.

Oh oops, I think Sargeras wasn't a demon right? Wasn't it Kil'Jaeden?

EDIT: And yes, silly me. I right away view it as a massive horse racist and group them all into one category. I think the Centaurs were typically more from the Sand, while the Dryads, Satyrs, etc. are from the Wood.

Level 11
Specifically, the dryads and keepers are the honorable descendants of the demigod Cenarius. The centaurs are descendants of Cenarius too, but they aren't honorable.
"[6] the barbaric centaur race were begotten by Zaetar, son of Cenarius, and the earth elemental princess Theradras.[7][8] Shortly after the centaur's creation, the ruthless creatures murdered their father.[7][8] The five[citation needed] centaur clans in Kalimdor are therefore the bastard offspring of Zaetar. As such, they have shared ancestry with the dryads.[9]"
Centaur
Basically, they are the ugly and brutal sons of Zaetar, the son of Cenarius.

Level 5
Specifically, the dryads and keepers are the honorable descendants of the demigod Cenarius. The centaurs are descendants of Cenarius too, but they aren't honorable.
"[6] the barbaric centaur race were begotten by Zaetar, son of Cenarius, and the earth elemental princess Theradras.[7][8] Shortly after the centaur's creation, the ruthless creatures murdered their father.[7][8] The five[citation needed] centaur clans in Kalimdor are therefore the bastard offspring of Zaetar. As such, they have shared ancestry with the dryads.[9]"
Centaur
Basically, they are the ugly and brutal sons of Zaetar, the son of Cenarius.

Orius from The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe is pretty honourable :p.

Level 16
I have never played anything that was Scarlet Crusade themed so I dont exactly know much about it, but judging from what is mentioned here the units are very fire and light orientated.

So have units outfitted with fire and light spells, for example the offensive mage can be called the "pyromancer" or "pyromaster". The supporting healer can use fire-based healing spells, create a spell called "healing flame" which is basically a modified roar or modified scroll of protection that heals friendly units within the area, you can modify around howl of terror to be a flame based damaging spell, not only can it decrease attack and armor but can also cause the enemy units to lose health over time. Go with whatever the theme of the campaign is and modify the units and spells to fit it, however if you have good, creative, ideas don't hesitate to experiment with them.

Level 5
Thank you!
Unfortunately this "map has fallen", i has abandoned it long time ago :3

Oh, really? That's too bad!

Not to poke you here or anything, but am I wrong in saying that I detect a little flicker of embarassment? I know EXACTLY what you're going through if so; but there really isn't anything to worry about!

We all like to do these types of things in our day, no one ever wants to admit it, but it's actually really healthy to do this type of stuff. You can always call it Cartography! Or, it's just sort of using your fantasy to create these cool Universes you make. Don't give up on the project! It's cool.

We could use more work in Warcraft 3!

Level 5
If Im not mistaken scarlet crusade's character's ability revolve around light and fire.

So focus in giving your units and heroes abilities bases on these two.

Level 4
Oh, really? That's too bad!

Not to poke you here or anything, but am I wrong in saying that I detect a little flicker of embarassment? I know EXACTLY what you're going through if so; but there really isn't anything to worry about!

We all like to do these types of things in our day, no one ever wants to admit it, but it's actually really healthy to do this type of stuff. You can always call it Cartography! Or, it's just sort of using your fantasy to create these cool Universes you make. Don't give up on the project! It's cool.

We could use more work in Warcraft 3!

Thank you so much for the encouragement, my friend! ❤️

I abandoned this project because we already have a lot like this in the map session.

I will think of something else better and more differentiated!

Thanks again for the message!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
@ClariceGonzalesBR If you're still interested in doing custom Techtrees/Factions/Races, consider poking around the Arena, as we occasionally run Techtree Contests. (in fact, there's one that just started last week!)

Also check @Spellbound 's signature, which has a link to a Discord server set up primarily to connect fans of custom-faction-design.

Good luck!

Level 11
(in fact, there's one that just started last week!)
About Magic The Gathering phylosophical colors, it's true. I'm doing a Black techtree (The Cult of the Damned), and I'm not really sure if Kyrbi0 will participate, or just do a "faction-on-paper", in his own words. Check it out. Maybe you can think of something, and, if you're interested, you can create something interesting. The more participants, the better.

Level 5
Thank you so much for the encouragement, my friend! ❤️

I abandoned this project because we already have a lot like this in the map session.

I will think of something else better and more differentiated!

Thanks again for the message!

Haha no problem! :D

I spent years worried sick about my World of Dragon Ball Z map (it's an Anime, I'm sure you've heard of it), always wondering "do kids in school ever google in my name and find it?", etc. Then I just one day finally faced my fears, and realized that it's perfectly fine to do this stuff :p. This is what people did in the 70s and 80s, you can even see in the Yu-Gi-Oh Manga, that all the kids in Domino High School, even the tough guys, all play with Yoyos and little Toy Games and such! (Like Yoyo Gangsters that would use the Yoyo as a weapon, it dates back to the era of 80s-90s Arcade gangsters that would hang around beating all the kids at the game and making fun of them for losing)

But ah I see, well you can always try to add your own spin to it. Even in Movies, especially if you know Theatre & Stage Acting, the whole POINT is that one Story can be told MANY MANY times over and over, with a different take each time. Different people, different music, everything. So in a sense, you could even rewrite the whole Warcraft III UNIVERSE if you wanted to, with your own Story. It's actually great, because most people even at the professional level can't ever be expected to nail the Story in just ONE go!

A lot of the greatest Fictions out there have been expanded on by Fans! Kind of like how the Wc3 Custom Game community became what it was with the Fanbase, NOT the original Maps created by Blizzard for the War/Ladder Game mode!

Status
Not open for further replies.