• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom minimap icons help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello, not sure if this should go into this subforum or the Helper zone. But i give this forum a shot!

I want to create a custom Icon to replace the goldmine icon, so I:
  1. Exported the goldmine icon (with warcraft viewer 2.3c).
  2. Made the changes I wanted and saved it as a 16x16 .jpeg (using paint, lol)
  3. Converted it into a blp (with warcraft viewer 2.3c).
  4. Imported it to the World editor and changed the icon in advanced>game interface.
It shows up on the minimap, but I can see the black background around the goldmine icon. How do I make the background/borders transparent?

Level 25
Export as a *.TGA (targa) in 32 bits. *.JPEG doesn't allow for transparency, thus the black border. When you save your *.TGA, be sure you save it for 32 bits as well.

I'd suggest that you download GIMP - free software - and make the changes there instead.

Edit
Sorry, you need to use the Alpha Layer as well for minimap icons! If nothing else, upload the icon here and I can fix it for you.

Last edited:
Level 5
Export as a *.TGA (targa) in 32 bits. *.JPEG doesn't allow for transparency, thus the black border. When you save your *.TGA, be sure you save it for 32 bits as well.

I'd suggest that you download GIMP - free software - and make the changes there instead.

Edit
Sorry, you need to use the Alpha Layer as well for minimap icons! If nothing else, upload the icon here and I can fix it for you.

Thank you Sir!
Exporting as .tga 32-bit and using Gimp solved the problem! I did not lose the Alpha Layer from the original icon, but I guess if i were to make a new shape out of the icon i would have to edit the Aplha layer aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.