• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Custom Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I have been working on a map for some time now and my brother gave me a good idea. He wanted me to add custom heroes where players could basicly "build" their own hero. I saw a very good example of this in Custom Hero Line Wars. My problem is that I cant add ability skills. I need the hero to have a level 0 ability. I tried this with GUI triggers and the hero keeps getting level 1 abilities. Im sorry if this is in the wrong section, I think this can be done with regular GUI triggers, (but maybe not!) Thank you for your time and help in advance.

Level 6
Okay, you know how heroes have 2 "sections". (1) for abilities that the hero can cast. (2) for abilities that the hero has not learned yet. When I use trigger: Unit-add ability, the ability goes to the first "section". So the hero can already begin casting the ability. I need the ability to appear in the second "table" so the hero must gain levels to cast the ability. I hope this clears things up. If i doesnt I can try to explain it differently.

Level 7
Well I have been done this before, there is skill A.B.C.Ultimate and Attribute Bonus and when skill A over it will spawn ultimate A skill that must be learned level 25++, is it what you mean??

However I forgot how describe it on trigger and I lose my maps at my LATEST COUNTRY, I will try it soon and tell you when it finished...

Level 6
Im not sure what U mean. You lost me at the ABC stuff. I dont think you still understand what i need (I dont blame you!) In game, heroes have an ability menu that shows you what spells the hero can learn/level up. I need to add spells(s) to that menu. I guess you could be talking about what I am talking about; could you explain more if you can?

Level 7
Yup, I say when the first skill finish learn(max level4) there's a new skill that go into the menu which I called skill level up

Example:
Firebolt (level 4)----> Flareball (level 2)---->Inferno Stone (level 1)

which give an new skills to the learn hero abilities menu when the other skills has been taken until the last level, but what you want is gives a new skill to the learn hero abilities menu when he leveled up into level that you wish, is it right?

Level 7
Okay I will try it soon, but coz I must go to school (it's morning in mine) so you must wait till next 9 hours, is it OK??

Level 10
This would be at the begining of the map so it wouldnt be a problem solution:
Detect whent he hero is done picking skills
Create: Tomb of retraining at center of playable map area
Give last created item to triggering unit
Order hero to use item in slot 1. (that unlearns all his abilites).
Not sure if it will lag or not, but thats 1 way to do it.

Level 6
I see where you are going with the tome of retraing, but after the hero unlearns his abilities how do I add new abilities.

P.S. Please dont say: trigger-
Unit-add ability
This is not what I want, thank you for your help

Level 3
Ok so what your trying to do is add abilites to the hero learning box. I don't think that can be done with GUI. (I don't know any JASS so . . .) But what you can do is store all the abilites in a variable and when the hero levels up make a dialog box pop up that has his abilites and he can choose which to level. Thats the best way I can think of doing this.

Level 6
Yea, That would work but I rather not use dialog boxes, I think they can interupt the game (my opinion). If anyone has played Custom Hero Line Wars and knows how they did the custom heroes (is it JASS or GUI).

Level 7
Ok, godshand... Sorry make you wait so long, there is something that I can't tell you...

The one trigger that I used about is 'unit change'
I use 4 kind of heroes(with different skills that can be learn), each time hero pick skill then the others dummy will pick skill (base trigger: hero-order pick skill), after that when you take item all you have to do is remove the unit, put dummy at position of your last unit and then pick it. This is the simpler trigger that I has, I use this when I was still basic..

Level 7
That's the first trigger, order hero to pick archmage-blizzard writen in default (i think that's the first trigger of all hero) all you have to do is change it into JASS and change the blizzard code to your skill code..

I am don't understand JASS but this one is more basic than advanced trigger so I can learn it

Level 11
Maybe the haroes already have those abilities, and they are not added in-game. AND, you can enable/disable abilities for players, maybe this is how they messed something in that game, disabling all of them, and then enable wha you want to add to that hero.
So try:
Enable <ability> for player ...

Note that i'm not sure if this is the correct action name, i don't have WE in front of me.

Level 7
And let your heroes only able to pick maximal number of 5 skills?!? What game that only have 5 skills even you must have an item to find one skills?

Level 40
If you want them learnable, there's two steps (this should work, but wc3 may not like having so many learnable abilities, I haven't tested it)

First, add all the abilities that the hero can possibly have to the Abilities menu. Next, disable them all at map init for every player.

Next, whenever a player picks an ability (by buying the item), enable that ability for that player.

Level 7
If you use that trigger isn't it all the same like HeroCraft or other game like that??
And ad all abilities is in limit of 5, doesn't really satisfying..

Level 6
PurplePoot: That sounds like it may work but im not sure how much we will like it either. But it is worth a try :)

Ok, sry. Ive been gone for a while. I came up with another idea but it is getting more into the ability editor. Is there an ability which adds a spell? Or is there a way to change the tome of retraining so that instead of deleting spells it adds spells? Again, this post is prabaly belongs in the spell section but O well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 6
Well um about Jass... I dont know it *sad face and quiet crying*
Yea! I need learnability. I like the idea about giving the heroes all the abilites, removing them, then adding them when the hero gets the item but heroes can only have 5 open spaces to learn spells. Is there a way then to allow heroes to have more open spell slots? If not, will my other idea work?

Level 40
Well, as I said, try using Shift+Click to have all the abilities in the hero, and disable them all (then enable them as the hero picks them)

However, that may fail (eg: Items only accept 4 abilities, even if you use Shift+Click)

If it doesn't work, you'd basically have to do what Custom Hero Arena does
(Offensive Skill, etc), or write your own ability learning system, far as I know.

Level 6
Ok I tried Shift+Click and it didnt work :( The Hero can still only learn the first 5 spells I put in the hero.
I looked into Custom Hero Line Wars just a minute a go and I may have found my awnser. First, CHLW had a map protector so I cant see the triggers but all the object editors are there. They did something with a spell book. I never used spell books before so I dont know how they did it. Any ideas?

Level 6
Ok well maybe this will help. CHLW had a spell book for each ability. Then in the spell books there was an ability based of the engineering upgrade. In the spell based of the engineering upgrade there is the actual spell. Its hard for me to explain so here look for yourself http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31955
Note: Im not sure if you can open the map, it is protected (but you should or at least I hope you can).

Status
Not open for further replies.