• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Trigger] Custom Spellbook Abilties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Well, Hello.

I was doing a Spellbook with some custom abilities.
First, I think that the Vexorian way is a little bit strange, because, when you create the Ability Addition ability, it's a Item Ability. Ok, but the ability that is inside it can only be a Unit ability. And when this trigger:

• Forge Shield
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Learns a skill
    • Conditions
      • (Learned Hero Skill) Equal to Forge Shield
      • (Level of Forge Shield for (Triggering unit)) Equal to 1
    • Actions
      • Unit - Remove Forge Shield from (Triggering unit)
      • Unit - Add Forge Shield Addition to (Triggering unit)
The (Learned Hero Skill) Equal to [Ability] can only be a Hero ability.

So, every time I have to create a Custom ability I have to change to a Unit ability and add to the spellbook, and change to a Hero ability and do the trigger.

Is this really right?

Well, besides this, when I choose one of the skill in a not linear way, like, I pick 1 level of each only, not all levels at once, one of the skills does not goes inside the spellbook. Anyone?

Last edited:
Level 40
A Unit Learns a Skill only has to do with abilities leveled up by the user through the 'Hero Skills' tab under heroes.

Since it doesn't properly interact with spellbooks normally, for the reasons you mentioned above, it's questionable as to how you got to that point in the first place.

(The abilities you learn from your hero menu should be invisible when on the hero (orb, phoenix fire, or such) dummy abilities!)

Level 2
Ok, I got what you say, besides the
(The abilities you learn from your hero menu should be invisible when on the hero (orb, phoenix fire, or such) dummy abilities!)

Like, the abilities have to be normal hero abilities or do I have to create dummy ones?

And, it's not like this?

• Bash
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Learned Hero Skill) Equal to Bash_1
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of Bash_1 for (Triggering unit)) Equal to 1
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Remove Bash_1 from (Triggering unit)
          • Unit - Add Bash_1 Addition to (Triggering unit)
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Level of Bash_1 for (Triggering unit)) Equal to 2
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Add Bash_2 Addition to (Triggering unit)
            • Else - Actions

Level 40
What I mean is:

Let's say you want to be able to learn "Firebolt" and put it into the spellbook upon learning.

You have a Unit ability Firebolt (the real one), inside your dummy spellbook, which you use to add it into the other spellbook (your main one). You've got that part.

Now, make a dummy ability based off something like Phoenix Fire with no effects. Call this Firebolt, and make it a hero ability. This way, it will be learnable and will store all your wanted information such as level etc, but will not be displayed on the command card.

Level 2
So, for every ability that I want to have inside my spellbook I would have like, a Unit ability, one that is the "Addition" one, and then, a Dummy ability that is exactly the same as the Unit one, except for that.

And, then, I put it into the Hero abilities. Ok, I got that.
But, when the Hero learn this Ability, I will have to take off the Hero and put on the Addition, that is, in fact, the spellbook with the same Base Order ID?

Level 40
It's not exactly the same.

It appears to be the same ingame to the user (before you have leveled it up), but it's in fact an ability that does not show up on your command card. That removes all the much about removing it and still remembering the levels, etc, and it makes it disappear correctly when you have leveled it to the max level.

It's basically like learning a Phoenix Fire that does nothing and is called Firebolt. When you learn it, triggers add an actual Firebolt ability in a Spellbook.

And yes, the addition is said dummy spellbook with the 'proper' ability inside.

Heres what I did. For my spellbooks, I made my dummy learn ablity channel.
Dummy Ability.jpg
Then I made my spellbook have an empty slot for the fourth level.
Spell Book Book.jpg
Next I made an Initilization trigger that disabled the spellbooks and set their levels to level 4.
  • Melee Initialization
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • -------- Here you list your dummy SpellBooks --------
          • Player - Disable Blizzard [Book] for (Picked player)
          • Player - Disable Brilliance Aura [Book] for (Picked player)
          • Player - Disable Flame Strike [Book] for (Picked player)
          • Player - Disable Storm Bolt [Book] for (Picked player)
          • Player - Disable Summon Water Elemental [Book] for (Picked player)
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
          • -------- Archmage Stuff --------
          • Unit - Set level of Blizzard [Book] for Archmage 0002 <gen> to 4
          • Unit - Set level of Brilliance Aura [Book] for Archmage 0002 <gen> to 4
          • Unit - Set level of Flame Strike [Book] for Archmage 0002 <gen> to 4
          • Unit - Set level of Storm Bolt [Book] for Archmage 0002 <gen> to 4
          • Unit - Set level of Summon Water Elemental [Book] for Archmage 0002 <gen> to 4
          • Hero - Set Archmage 0002 <gen> Hero-level to 25, Show level-up graphics
        • Else - Actions
Finaly I made the trigger that set the level of the books to the level of the dummy ablitiys.
  • LearnSkills
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Learned Hero Skill) Equal to Learn Blizzard
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Set level of Blizzard [Book] for (Learning Hero) to (Level of Learn Blizzard for (Learning Hero))
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Learned Hero Skill) Equal to Learn Brilliance Aura
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Set level of Brilliance Aura [Book] for (Learning Hero) to (Level of Learn Brilliance Aura for (Learning Hero))
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Learned Hero Skill) Equal to Learn Flame Strike
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Set level of Flame Strike [Book] for (Learning Hero) to (Level of Learn Flame Strike for (Learning Hero))
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Learned Hero Skill) Equal to Learn Storm Bolt
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Set level of Storm Bolt [Book] for (Learning Hero) to (Level of Learn Storm Bolt for (Learning Hero))
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Learned Hero Skill) Equal to Learn Summon Water Elemental
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Set level of Summon Water Elemental [Book] for (Learning Hero) to (Level of Learn Summon Water Elemental for (Learning Hero))
        • Else - Actions
This is all in this demo map: View attachment SpellBook Demo.w3x

Level 2
Hope it works now.

[EDIT]

I've got a last problem now.

Everything works fine and everything goes to the right place. And works.
But, the Hero "Learn Ability" has 3 levels, and when I choose to learn it, the hero in fact learns it, but, I cannot learn lv. 2 or 3,
because the Learn stops on 1. And it does not disappear. Every time I pick it, it's still on Lv. 1.

So, anyone?

[EDIT]

Well, I realized that when I put the trigger [Removes - Learn Ability Addition*] it does not pass over 1.
When I take off this trigger, it pass over 1, but it does appear on the hero tab.

And, my abilities have the same cooldown. When I activate one, the other one is also activated. This sucks.

*the dummy hero learn

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.