• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom hero type {picking skills using lumber}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello,
I am working on a project that I would like to make custom hero abilities.
I am not the best trigger er although I would very much appreciate if someone could explain how I would do this.
There is a lot of games that you pick a hero ( no skills) you then are able to pick some skills by using a piece of lumber or something. Also and when you pick the skill it acts like a basic skill with when the hero levels up you can choose out of the skills to level up normally as if he came with the skills. I am not sure if this is a trigger but I am asking for some help please :) Thank you very much for your time.

Level 3
custom abilities are made with the Object Editor. Click on the 'Abilities' Tab, and its the same as making a unit.

as for the selecting spells for the hero to level, its a bit more complicated.

You first have to have 4 (if youre using 4 hero abilities per hero) dummy abilities (base them off anything that can be set to do nothing, and is passive). Critical Strike, Drunken Brawler, Attribute Bonus, Spiked Carapace.. anything passive that doesnt show a buff.

Disable them all (Player - Disable Ability)

For every custom ability a hero can use, make 4 copies, and set different x positions for them all (0, 1, 2, 3). this is so that if they are picked in a different order, they will all go into place and look nice and ordered. Its a basic copy-paste, dont need to remake them all. (this isnt necessary but itll look better when it is done)

Then, for every one of those abilities, make an Engineering Upgrade that will replace the dummy ability with the one that was selected.

When the item is bought, simply add the engineering upgrade (it has to be set to a unit ability), and disable it. Enable the dummy it replaces. You then have a hero ability.

If you are making copies for every ability to cater for the order they are bought in, you will have to increment the custom value of the hero (or use an integer) to count how many abilities they have. Then, replace the corresponding dummy ability using the engineering upgrade.

NOTE: it may seem a lot easier to just do Unit - Add Ability. this WILL NOT make the ability levelable, so dont do it if you want the selected abilities to level as normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.