• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Hero Arena 3D Final

Custom Hero Arena 3D
- As the name states, this is a Custom Hero Arena; it is intended to be a multiplayer game.
Heroes:
- There are 84 heroes to pick from, their base stats and stat gains are listed. They are balanced through YEARS of testing.
- You then pick 5 skills for your hero, each from a different category.
- Offensive: Abilities that deal damage. Generally a farming or PvP skill.
- Defensive: While these can be semi-offensive, they are generally geared around your survival.
- Misc: These skills generally go both ways, and are more versatile.
- Innate: A simple ability that automatically levels every 10 levels
- Ultimate: These can be of any nature, but are generally much more powerful than other skills and have longer cooldowns, usually.

- On game start, player 1 can select from a variety of different game types, and modes that work with those game types. After you pick your main game type, you are given more options shops for options available to that specific game type.
- Normal Mode: There are duels every 4ish minutes in which an equal random number of players from each team compete in an arena fight to the death. When not fighting, they are in the "field" where there are various creep camps to kill for gold and experience. Of course, you can also PVP outside of duels. You win by reaching a kill count. You can also enable "Kill Ragnarok" mode, from within this mode; Where to win, you complete various minor quests and have to go through boss fights and kill the final boss. There are still duels and PVP though.
- Team Brawl Mode: There are no creeps. A large area of the map is blocked off and teams are forced to fight in the area. The only way to get back to base is to die. Game is won by hitting a kill count.
- Gladiator Mode: There are no creeps. This is a FFA mode where all the players duke it out in a large arena in a series of rounds. Whoever wins 10 rounds, wins.
- Capture The Flag Mode: Everyone knows what CTF is. There are few creeps in this mode. The flags spawn behind team bases and slow whoever is carrying them. Also, units with a flag cannot become invisible. You return your opponents flag to your base to score a point. You cannot enter your base with a flag if an opponent has your teams flag. Flags cannot be dropped unless you die. X number of flag captures wins the game.
- King of the Hill Mode: Again, a classic. Few creeps spawn. There are 5 hills on the map, which ping every 2 seconds in the color of their owners. You capture hills by standing on them for 15 seconds if neutral, 30 if owned by the other team. You gain points for every hill you have every second. You gain additional points for every hero your team has on a hill every second. More players on a hill, the faster the hill caps.
- Plant the Bomb Mode: Few creeps spawn. A bomb spawns in the center of the map, players must attempt to take it either to the front door, or back of their opponents base, and detonate it. You must stand on the circle with the bomb for 15 seconds to detonate it. Units with the bombs cannot become invisible, have no mana, and are slowed.

Side Notes:
- There are hundreds of items in the game, all of which are balanced around their price. The more expensive an item, the less stats you gain per gold spent. There are no overpowered items.
- Despite the reputation that all "Custom Hero" games have; passives do not always win. Skills in this game are balanced heavily around various parts of the game. Strength, Agility, and Int heroes are all equally usable.
- There is a huge learning curve to this game, like other games. Good players take uphill/downhill into account, attack animation canceling, spell animation canceling, kiting to win, ect.
- There are over 1,000,000,000 possible builds. There are about 100 unique builds. There is no best build. No build can win hands down. There aren't even 10 best builds.
- This map has been in the works for 2 years. In that time there has been about 50 beta edits. There have been ~4000 testers, and easily 50,000 hours of testing.

Credits:
- A list of credits are in the map, so I don't know them all off hand; the credits list was made a good year ago.
- Slayerdragon: His old CHA map inspired me to recreate the entire thing from a blank slate. He had a brilliant idea for a game that he never came close to finishing.
- Vex: I use some systems of his
- Aceheart: Save/load system
- There are a slew of item models I use in the game, and I gave credit in map for them; but am not going to type them all out here.
- The thousands of people who post bugs and suggestions on the CHAO forums.

Anyone interested in CHAR beyond what is offered here, stop by www.chao.forumclan.net We have more information about the game than you can shake a stick at!

===============================================================
Edit 8/2/15
===============================================================

The majority of updates are balance changes reflecting the last major update. Yiff arena rewards have been decreased at lower levels, melee heroes have additional armor, agi and str have faster cast times, so on and so forth. Minor update to bring more playstyle variations out.

Keywords:
Custom Hero Arena, Custom, Hero, Arena, Revolutions, Glorn2, CHA, Best Game Ever, v-bot
Contents

Custom Hero Arena 3D Final (Map)

Reviews
16:02, 6th Nov 2010 ap0calypse: Approved
Level 7
I really wanted to create something like that at one point. It would have to be a lot more advanced than that though. The biggest problem is that 40% of the game is item choices. So many items act as soft or hard counters to builds; and those items relate heavily to the balance of the game. The conditions to check to create an item set to best counter your opponent would be pretty... rough.

Level 1
Fair enough although so few people even play this game you probably should consider at least adding a dummy bot. Little fyi there is a region glitch over near your ffa arena towards side 2's portion of the map. If you stand next to it before duels you will become permanently unkillable. This region bug also exist in the ffa arena same area top left where it opens into a choke point.

Last edited:
Level 1
Been playing this game off and on for ages and loving it. I was wondering are you still editing the sc 2 version of this beloved game? Also if you're still editing the warcraft version would you be opposed to zooming the default camera angle out a bit? I love the current game and all but all the heroes are too big and clunky even with the -far command.

Level 7
Hahaha, creepy! You are the single individual from the CHA community to outdate me. You used to test for Slayerdragon back in like 06, yeah?

Anyway, I am still very slowly editing CHA for sc2. Being an adult and all, it is a come and go hobby when I have the free time. Every few months I crunch out a hundred hours in the editor in like, a week, then need to take a break again. If it is ever complete; I hope that the core gameplay blows away wc3 CHA; though I doubt the unique build possibility could ever be so grand.

I also play wc3 CHA on occasion, and release patches as needed (though I havent uploaded one here recently; I guess I will do that now). The -far zoom used to go farther, but the problem I ran into was that it generated a lot more lag. A little but more stuff on the screen causes more shadows and such, causes more lag. I could add in a -farthest command or something though, and just suggest that people with slower computers not use it. surely; next time i release an edit, I will try to include that.

Level 7
You gain "player Experience" and all of your kills and deaths are saved. You can show off your stats by typing -stats. As you gain player levels, you get neat graphics attached to your hero, and unlock a handful of heroes which are modeled after the bosses of the game (Though they are balanced the same as every other hero).

Level 1
No I never beta tested with Slayer. His beta test games were more or less just 1v1 games with Toxic.

Quick question what's the code for gold or yellow tint?

@xXxMKDxXx Just play a couple level 20 start games. You'll unlock everything in just a few games.

Level 1
Thank you tint9 9 0 works.

On another note I think the Yiff Arena is kind of unbalanced. The first player to kill Yiff early and often wins the game. Are we supposed to be able to kill Yiff as early as between duel 1 and 2 with a slight level advantage? If so maybe consider removing the treasure chest as the gold advantage is a little too much with both.

Level 7
how are people going about killing him? his gold payout really isnt that high, it is something like 50x level (similar to killing a hero) but the time spent in there, compared to the time spent killing creeps; while the gold is higher, the exp should be much lower.

I will see what randomloser says about it; i generally only play private games, so dont see what trends form in public games.

Level 1
I was playing a 1v1 with a friend of mine. I was using the premade summoner while he was using the premade spell slinger. After winning the first duel and clearing about 4 or so camps I was level 11, he was level 9, and Yiff was only level 7. Needless to say the summons made short work of Yiff and treasure chest and I was 6000 gold richer for it. The arena was also giving me 400 gold in addition every 15 seconds.

Level 7
Alright, i have updated the map, and addressed the yiff problem. Initially I had wanted him to be an early game options, but you are right, his payout is far too high. I decreased the payout at early levels, and I increased his base HP by 1000, so it will be another duel before he is easily farmed. He should still be killable before the 2nd duel with proper builds, but he will not grant nearly so much gold (closer to 3000 combined, rather than 6000). Realistically, it should be after the 3rd duel that most players will be able to defeat him, especially in a team game.

Level 1
Yea Yiff is definately stronger and the arena pay outs don't seem so extreme any more. I got around to finally finding some keys and playing on battle net. I had a game where I think they had full team duels or something. Ended up losing the game to stun and run tatics (kiting to extreme levels 10 minute duels). I was wondering would you be opposed to maybe include another arena? Perhaps teleporting players to a smaller arena when duels are taking too long and making their deaths count for double. With less running room this will ultimately force them to take some hits while waiting out those cooldowns. It would also help that poor arthas kill the always running away siren. So the rest of us may continue playing the game.

Level 7
Twice, I have tried to take steps similar to this in the past, to help with kiting. There ended up being quite a few problems along the way, and they were all removed. To draw a line between what is "alright kiting" and what isn't was an issue. Reincarnation with strength heroes was also an issue, late in the game.

I understand that people can be turd-muffins. If someone wants to try that hard to win; well... I guess they deserve to win the duel. Ice staff, ice shield, endurance aura, sprint innate, windwalk on an item. There are a handful of half-measures that can be taken. Sometimes you just gotta take a loss for 2 duels to get geared up enough to counter it; at which point it will be GG if they cannot run away.

Level 1
My buddies and I play this game all the time and we love it. The only problem is everyone we play against are complete dog crap at this game sadly. We did find a couple of bugs like when there's multiple premade blade masters if one of the players disconnects due to desync at the start one of the blade masters will become unkillable. The game mode plant the bomb doesn't seem to work as when we tried to plant the bomb the timer would count down to zero and nothing happens. The skill taunt would show only the animation of working but not make them attack. The skill Sleep says in its description that it stuns when they awake but that doesn't seem to happen at all. The skill meteor shower stays a constant 150 mana but its description says its 150xLevel. The skill slow description bugs out and claims its duration is 110 seconds at level 11 but it doesn't last that long. Corrupt flesh is imbalanced and so is frozen orb and so is ams potions and so is weak constitution. Every time we play we ban those 4 things for the sake of balanced games.

Last edited:
Level 7
People still play this? ^_^
on USA-East you can stop by channel Clan CHAO to try to find a decent player, if any are online. The invulnerable thing is not related to blade masters; but do to a problem with the disconnection screwing shit up. It has been something I have been unable to fix for... quite a few years. It can have other effects as well, such as the game not starting; giving some players multiple heroes, and/or no skills. The only thing I can suggest is not playing with people using dial-up still.
Plant the bomb was causing a cyclical error, causing the game to crash; so it was disabled, and never fixed. I removed the mode and remade it, and still had problems. Very strange considering how simple to triggering for it was.
Indeed taunt is bugged in that it sometimes works, and sometimes does not work.
Sleep should not stun when a unit is awoken. I dont recall the tooltip suggesting it does; but I will look at it.
Did not know that about meteor shower (we dont use it much, and no one has reported it to me in the past... 4 years.)
There are a few tooltips where there is a 0 added to the end of a value. Just errors on my part; the skill descriptions when you pick the skills are all accurate.

Corrupt flesh is not imbalanced in that there are 5 different items you can get to directly counter a 15 point investment skills.
Frozen orb is not imbalanced in that there are 4 items you can get to directly counter it, and spell damage reduction counters it greatly.
AMS potions are strong counters to weak constitution; giving both of them validity. AMS potions are countered by the fact that they require an inventory slot, and spell damage reduction does not reduce the damage they absorb. They also have a duration, and only 2 uses per stack. Weak C is an ultimate, which requires heavy skill and item investments, and is countered by a purchasable item.

Some skills are "cheap" or "cheeser skills" like elemental mastery on agility, or a 2 point restore mana on a tri-farming ranged int. Everything can be countered without prior knowledge of your opponents build.

Every year or so I do a minor update to address balance concerns by players, and that update likely wont be for a while; though I will keep your list in mind.

I am working on a starcraft 2 version of the game, on the FREE starcraft 2 arcade. The map is called "Custom Hero Arena!" and it is currently playable, though it likely wont be until 2017 that there will be enough content for an official release.

Level 1
Which 5 items counter corrupt?
Wind Walk? Gem, I lose a slot? They lose nearly 2 slots worth of armor.
Stone Shield? Stone can be disarmed, Did I mention CF cannot?
Running? Disables, slowing, or being range.
Lightning Shield? Okay I will grant that one.

Those same 4 items probably counter most of the ultimates in the game. Doesn't change the fact that frozen orb is op. It's probably more powerful then most of the ultimates.

What makes AMS op is the very fact that it has 2 charges. It renders the spells all but useless in duels early. Mean while the high amount of spell resistance renders them useless late. Between the relative long cool downs between some of them and the obscene amount of casts needed to pop 1 ams let alone 2. You will either long run out of mana or probably die before the AMS waresoff. Just about the only thing that kills AMS in duels are your ultimates and frozen orb. If your nukes are worthless in duels what's the point in investing 15 points into them?

Weak is op when combined with frozen orb. Frozen orb is as powerful as an ultimate and having it with weak is like having 2 ultimates. It's also extremely op on a melee hero once they have bash damage in combination with their other spells.

Clan chao sounds nice but unfortunately I'm on gameranger not battlenet. SC sounds nice but my laptop sucks.

Level 7
What is gameranger and how could some of my clan members get on there to play? We are always looking for outside communities who have learned the game without my inflence. For me and many of the people I play with, none of those skills are viewed as op.

For cf yes, windwalk. It grants invis and move speed. It costs them a very valuable item slot to counter, especially end game when it is powerful. Yes, running. You gain 25% evasion while moving. Ice staff 1 and 2, which work together. Light shields, secret orb, any disable. Yes stone shield, if they get a light orb to counter it, that is another item slot wasted.

Ams shields are strong early, but so are heals, potions, manager potions, consume is amazing early, can't lose a duel with it. Later game, potions are more valuable than ams pots. Later, items are worth more.

Frozen orb shares many counters with the above. Images from items make op counters. So do large summons and allies. Frozen orb only attacks 1 at a time. An image from an item will cut damage taken by 50%. Mana shield counters all spells, in that item spell damage and Mana reduction work with each other.

My all time favorite build, which has never lost when I used it and hadn't gone a year without playing... Archmage, flamestrike, hibernate, bonus stats, life regen, and summon badger.

Level 2
Hi I'm not sure if you're still around but recent patches have broken your map. Everything seems to work fine with Taunt being the only exception. Anytime someone casts that skill it causes everyone to crash. This wouldn't be a problem except in the 1st arena of the Ragnarok quest. When you first engage the group of Spell Breakers they cast the broken taunt and causes everyone to crash. I've looked into other taunt units such as badger and water element and found them to be safe. It's just the Taunt skill that causes this issue.

Last edited:
Level 2
Hi me again I recently discovered an old map of yours by the name of CHA-Line Wars Beta 5 Custom Hero Arena Line Wars. Any ways I've got a few ideas for this forgotten game should you ever come back to editing or if someone else in the future decides to pick up the mantel.

Idea 1: Move all the items into pre-made items shops and half the price of them. The problem as I see it with this map is there are far too many items/shops that needlessly clutter the base and confuse the player in particular the new ones. Not to mention these items are a bit too expensive in the nature of the game itself. That is to say players often don't make enough money from the hordes of creeps being sent at them to properly equip themselves to deal with them. Or they often spend far too much time at the shops leading to a quick amount of lives being lost. Where as cha only has a player dealing with say 10 creeps before needing a heal, line wars typically have you dealing with triple that amount with more and more to come.

Idea 2: Allow players to customize their totems. There's something about the totems in line war games that make them rather bland and boring. I think its the whole 20-30 spells and your only using the heals/saving for an emergency aoe to kill creeps while you're dead. I feel a customize one with a unique set of 3 skills could make for a more entertaining match. Just a small area of say 2-3 customize skills to pick for your totem. Click totem pick 3 abilities you want to equip on totem etc..

Idea 3: Lose the team battle arena. Needless to say the two just don't fit together. The team with the least income will most likely win the duels but always lose the game. As you can imagine that just seems off. However a special event that can grant more lives, drop items, or tomes, and such would be more appealing and probably be a welcome change of pace to fighting 1000's of random generated creeps.

Idea 4: Lower the cool down on some of your skills. Again what fits perfectly with CHA doesn't always fit with the nature of Hero Line Wars. Having a 20-30 second CD on the likes of Frost Fall, and a 2 minute CD on Star Far, isn't going to get the job done with an endless stream of creeps coming your way.

Last edited: