• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom classes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I am making a custom map where the players would get a character and then make choices to learn magic or to learn how to fight with a weapon. Or make a hybrid, maybe.

I am thinking about making some kind of skill tree, where they would choose their skills.

Example:
First choice (level 1): Warrior, Mage, Assassin
Second choice (level 5):
-if first one is warrior: Pure Warrior, Mage-Warrior, Assassin-Warrior
-if first one is mage or assassin, it would go like you would expect
Third choice (level 10):
-players would be given choices for specialization (mage would pick specialty (elemental, light, dark...), warrior would choose fighting style (tank, damage dealer, auras...), assassin would choose way of assassinating (stealth, deception, hand to hand combat...)
etc.

In detail, I'm planning to give each choice affect your gameplay.
Example:
If mage selects dark magic, he would gain an aura that gives debuffs to all nearby units (even allied), and as he goes darker and darker, his spells would blight all around him and, although he would be very powerful, it would force his allies to abandon him because his strength would come from their life force.
Let's assume the mage didn't go the dark path and choose elemental magic instead. Then he would have a choice somewhere that would be more powerful than others, but could potentially corrupt him (maybe it is more powerful than others), to give players playing the character a tempting choice to go dark.
Example #2:
If warrior selects mage hybrid, he could become paladin, healing his allies, but he would need to sacrifice some damage in return, or he could just enchant his weapon to deal more damage, but suffer from armor loss.
Also, warriors selecting the magic should also be tempted by "dark" choices. Maybe the enchanted weapon starts speaking to him (Frostmourne, for example), or something like that.

Also, I would change damage types to physical, light, dark, poison, etc.
And defense types to armor, magic, etc.

Example: magic armor would take full physical damage, but would take reduced magic damage (like mage protecting himself from spells), armor would take reduced physical damage, but full magic damage, etc.

And all these things would be choices made in game, with each player starting out the same.

Also, some side notes: I am thinking of making players need to learn everything by trying it out. Let's say we have a young squire, who would learn how to be a knight. He would have low damage (critical strike less than 1x multiplier, so he would occasionally do less damage), but as he fights, he would become better and better.
Mage players might set themselves on fire before learning how to use the spell correctly.

And I need some help with making all of it work. Any ideas are appreciated. Even if you want to change something I wrote here. I just have no idea what would skill choices be to achieve this, I have no idea how should I make "skill learning" system, etc.
So I need all the help I can get from you, guys.

Level 28
Pure classes:
* Apprentice -> Mage -> Magister/Hellcaller/Archmage (elemental/dark/light)
* Squire -> Knight -> Lord/Paladin/Slayer (aura/tank/DPS)
* Acolyte -> Assassin -> Nightshade/Reaper/Angel of Death (stealth/crowd control/DPS)

Hybrid classes:
* Apprentice/Squire -> Swordmage -> Spellsword
* Apprentice/Acolyte -> Lifethief -> Hellblade
* Squire/Acolyte -> Reaver -> Manreaper

Dark ideas (possibly targeting allied heroes only):

* Absorb Life/Mana: When low on mana/life, automatically gets a buff that regenerates his mana while nearby allies lose mana/life at the same rate. Only works when allies are nearby.
* Spirit Chain: Caster and surrounding units get a Spirit Link buff, but the caster is healed of damage taken while other units take double the damage.
* Equilibrium: Selects a target allied unit and stores its current HP percentage, then gives it a fast-damaging debuff. The next time the spell is used, the target's HP becomes that percentage, but also gets a fast-healing buff. Basically, if there isn't a healer nearby you sacrifice an ally for the sake of the next bossfight going a lot faster (assuming there's a debuffer in your party).
* Desintegrate: Deals damage equal to 99% of the target's HP, but it won't drop any items (naturally, the final boss is immune to this).
* Mana Bomb (Mage): Deals damage proportional to target allied unit's mana to all units around the target (including the target) and drains all mana from the target.
* Mana Bomb (Mage Warrior): Throws target unit at a point in front of the caster, dealing damage equal to half the sum of thrown unit's current life and mana. Target loses half its life and mana.
* Mana Blade (Assassin): Selects a target allied unit and starts draining its mana (non-channeling). While the effect is active the Assassin gains a Searing Arrows skill using the target's mana.
* Emergency Teleport: When low on life, automatically switches places with a random allied unit and heals 10% of life. Switched unit gets the Dizziness debuff.
* Shield of Egotism: Casts Divine Shield on the caster, surrounding allied units lose armor. Alternately, adds/removes armor equivalent to number of surrounding units.
* Extract Essence: Targets an allied unit. Creates a rune of Healing/Mana/Restoration/Speed/etc. at target's location, target takes twice the damage the rune would heal/loses twice the mana./etc.
* Bloodthirst (Warrior): Gains rapid regeneration in combat in exchange for negative life regen when out of combat.
* All allied units around caster lose 10% life, caster's damage increases by number of allies nearby.

Warrior Skills:

Taunt:
** Bastion: When taunting, gains greatly increased armor.
** Steel Urchin: When taunting, gains temporary Spiked Carapace.
** Provocation: Enemies gain and use Berserk when taunting.
** Steel Hiding Rock: Enemies that attack after taunting are stunned shortly.

Shield:
** Shield Bash: Shortly stuns enemy in front of the caster.
** Shield Slice: Drops shield on an enemy's foot, greatly decreasing its speed.
** Block: Periodically negates an attack.
** Block Magic: Periodically negates a spell.

Weapon:
** Bleed: Causes target to bleed over time, can be stacked.
** Smash: Channels then deals damage and permanently reduces target's armor.
** Shieldbreaker: While active, deals additional damage proportional to target's armor.
** Stab: Channels, then deals damage with a 50% chance of Critical Hit.

Last edited:
Level 5
Good ideas. Definitely gonna use some of them.
Do you, maybe, have an idea for a creative way of selecting the classes?
I would like to change the model according to class, but keep every item, spell, etc. on unit.
Also, a creative idea for having many abilities would be nice, without spellbooks, because I need to change levels of certain abilities to make them become more powerful over time. Should I maybe scratch item idea and use undroppable and unsellable items as spells?

Level 28
Maybe you could do something like this: Don't give the heroes any abilities so they have six ability slots. Then they select six abilities from their class tree, with the seventh slot used to open the skill tree to switch them around.

Depending on the complexity of the skill tree, you might have a way to limit it according to what the ability does: summon, buff, AoE, aura, single target... (personally, I prefer the no-limit version).

For example, a mage can choose to take six summon spells at the same time, or be locked into 1 summon spell (out of all the summons available), 1 AoE, 1 aura, etc. Hybrids would be limited to three spells of one class and three of the other, and two if you put in a triple hero class.

Class choosing: It'll depend on what the plot is like, but here's an idea: Have every player start at level 1 with no abilities. Once they reach level 2, they can go to a class trainer who gives them a quest related to the class and the ability they want to learn.

For example: go to the warrior trainer to learn the shield bash, he changes you to a squire, then you start a mission where you shield bash multiple enemies to get the hang of it (you can quit the mission before completion, but the ability is removed, only getting to use it once completed). Got to him again to ask about the taunting skill, you get a mission to save neutrals from attack by taunting the enemies away. Then you get into the specializations.

So warrior does two missions with the same trainer, mage warrior does one with him and one with the mage trainer, etc.

An idea (again, depending on the game's plot): To make sure every player gets their skills from the start, have them ambushed by a low-level mob (bandits, rats, wolves...) as soon as the intro cutscene ends (just numerous enough to get them level 2). Then the explanation on the class trainers starts.

Passive skill ideas (same effect, different name for mage/warrior/assassin):
** Transmutate/Bounty/Contract: Gives extra money per kill.
** Corpomancy/Exercise/Training: Gives movespeed boost when out of combat.
** Rejuvenate/Rest/Meditate: Regenerates mana faster (up to half) when out of combat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.