• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cruel Lot of Condemned v1.0

Reactions: deepstrasz
Details
Cruel Lot of Condemned
v1.0

arenaa.png

Introduction

This is Single Player Arena-like map, in which you might take a role of one of heroes and fight 9 unique battles across three different arenas. Map contains 58 custom units, wonderful atmospheric music, 26 custum items and 17 custom playable abilities.

Story

You appear somewhere deep underground. Sounds of background create dark atmosphere, death is in the air. All you can see is stairs. Soon you find out you would be forced to fight in order to survive, win the crowd and blessing of arena patron. There is no other way than just to stand and fight for the only thing that have left for you - life.

Heroes

heroesx.png

Aton

Poweful male sorcerer named Aton in the name of ancient god of the sun. Aton follows lightning mastery, which decides extreme fire power in the field of battle. Astonishing mastery of thunder marks Aton with tremendous powers of lightning and magic drain.

Hestia

Courageous female fighter called Hestia in the name of the goddess of the hearth and domestic activity. Hestia follows an art of war bow, which decides her exceptional possibilities in the battle field. Perfect mastery of the war bow enables Hestia to manipulate ranged arcane, holy and paralysis abilities and earns Hestia true title of ferocious marksman.

Credits
The Hiveworkshop Models / Icons:

Kitabatake
olofmoleman
Buster
Verdun
Tranquil
Fingolfin
Amigurumi
JetFangInferno
Kuhneghetz
CRAZYRUSSIAN
D.ee
Weep
Darkfang
Thrikodius
PeeKay
Carrington2k
Mr.Goblin
Daelin
Atmosferic
sPy
Callahan
Hellx-Magnus
Pyritie
DonDustin
Yearight
Champara Bros
-Stygian-
shamanyouranus
-Berz-
Raging Ent
Ampharos_222
Dionesiist
Sunchips
exN
shadow1500
wet_water
levigeorge1617
marcus158
Tarrasque
chilla_killa
Army-of-Pandas
takakenji
Deolrin
Lord_T
Hamsta
darkdoom
Vermillion Edict
NFWar
EdwardSwolenToe
glordfocker
Metal_Sonic
Narandza
Static
GooS
Aquis
ikillforeyou
perfjert
DTuGuR
Forgotten_Warlord
Pyramidhe@d
ZIR
WILL THE ALMIGHTY
tee.dubs
RetroSexual

Wc3Campaigns Models:

Nasrudin
Daelin

GUI Knockback system:

Paladon

Music:

Newgrounds.com
(Author: Jorma Poyer (Deflektor))

Loki: Heroes of Mythology
Screenshot 1.
cloc1.png

Screenshot 2.
cloc2.png

Screenshot 3.
cloc3.png

Screenshot 4.
cloc4.png

Screenshot 5.
cloc5.png

Screenshot 6.
cloc6.png

Keywords:
Cruel, Lot, Of, Condemned, Arena, Single, Player, Single Player, Loki, Sunken, Ruins, Ruin, APproject, cloc.
Contents

Cruel Lot of Condemned v1.0 (Map)

Reviews
Date: 2011/Oct/14 19:42:21 Vengeancekael: VM // PM: Status: Approved Rating: 3/5 Acceptable Rep Received: 1Reasons: Other: If you have any complaints or questions directed towards a moderator, make a thread here: Map Resource Moderation If you...

M

hive_bigger.png

Date: 2011/Oct/14 19:42:21
Vengeancekael: VM // PM:
Rating: 3/5 Acceptable
Rep Received: 1
Reasons:
Other:
If you have any complaints or questions directed towards a moderator, make a thread here: Map Resource Moderation
If you think the moderator's judging is unfair or you have overall complaints, make a thread here: Admin Contact
Please read the rules thoroughly: Rules

Comment: Review:

Gameplay:

First off, the spell special effects look awesome, Aton is just badass (although I'm not too fond of the model you've used for him, really low poly and weirdly shaped).
However combat is just really slow, 'Storm Bringer' for example has a way too long cooldown and even the first waves have too much HP, you should rather add more waves with less hp to make the map more fast paced and also reduce spell cooldowns.
The spell tooltips are informative and well written, but a custom UI texture would've been really nice and I think there are some nature themed UIs on wc3c.
You've added nice ambiance sound effects and also sound effects in the intro, but maybe you should play a sound when a new wave is incoming, preferably the unit's voice set.
A custom soundtrack has also been imported, making things a bit more fresh.
There are also neat custom items with really cool model attachments, but it's lacking more items. (Also think about adding a lot of different potion types, ms, as, ...)

Terrain:

The arena is really neat, very polished, a lot of detail in every corner and very symmetric actually. It really does look like an ancient arena and very realistic.

Other:

No custom loading screen image, :/ It's SP, so there's no reason not to use one.
The in-game messages are colorized and well written, but try to use different colors for each message type (timer, tips, ...)
Also add a quest with the credits.
The preview image's quality is also really low.

Overall:

A neat and kind of polished map by APProject once again, but the combat is really slow, it's nothing original or fresh and there are some things that could be improved.

Level 2
The map was amazing, terraain, sounds, icons, models, music and cinematics were great but it was hard :D
anyway 5/5

Review:

Gameplay:

First off, the spell special effects look awesome, Aton is just badass (although I'm not too fond of the model you've used for him, really low poly and weirdly shaped).
However combat is just really slow, 'Storm Bringer' for example has a way too long cooldown and even the first waves have too much HP, you should rather add more waves with less hp to make the map more fast paced and also reduce spell cooldowns.
The spell tooltips are informative and well written, but a custom UI texture would've been really nice and I think there are some nature themed UIs on wc3c.
You've added nice ambiance sound effects and also sound effects in the intro, but maybe you should play a sound when a new wave is incoming, preferably the unit's voice set.
A custom soundtrack has also been imported, making things a bit more fresh.
There are also neat custom items with really cool model attachments, but it's lacking more items. (Also think about adding a lot of different potion types, ms, as, ...)

Terrain:

The arena is really neat, very polished, a lot of detail in every corner and very symmetric actually. It really does look like an ancient arena and very realistic.

Other:

No custom loading screen image, :/ It's SP, so there's no reason not to use one.
The in-game messages are colorized and well written, but try to use different colors for each message type (timer, tips, ...)

Overall:

A neat and kind of polished map by APProject once again, but the combat is really slow, it's nothing original or fresh and there are some things that could be improved.

Rating: 3/5

Level 31
The map was amazing, terraain, sounds, icons, models, music and cinematics were great but it was hard :D
anyway 5/5
Thank you.

Well the Storm Bringer maybe have a little bit too big cooldown, but in my opinion it is quite rather harder to start with Aton than with Hestia due to it, after few bettles the fights might be faster, beginning is supposed to be slow. I decided to make it lots of HP because I am really enjoying fighting long fights in which you must pour a lot of effort to win. Personally I don't find fun in exploding everything around, killing masses anymore. I tried to make more *individual* fights, such as more as 1 on 1, even though it wasn't made there. But I still managed to hold that low number of creeps, at least in a very beginning.

Yes, there ain't a lot of items to choose, but it is currently enough. I may add something more within time. Talking about potions, personally I don't use them at all, I prefer counting on items. Of course in a very beginning potions would be vital for beginners.

I'm having problems making loading screen. The only way to get a loading screen would be asking other people around Hive. Anyway, I don't find loading screen and preview image neccessary at all! It don't affect game itself at all. It basically do nothing but expand map's size.

Oh, I absolutely forgot to add it due to rush. :(

Thank you for the review and of course for approval.

Reactions: Edy
Level 6
Really good map, one the best in its genres, yet it lacks variety. More items and heroes would be greatly appreciated.

I would also recommend using this skin for the ranger http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...-blp-172446/?prev=search=sylvanus&d=list&r=20 instead of the beta ranger model.

Also the armor attachment adds a blade to the ranger, it doesn't function quite well because it thrusts its cape.
The boot attachment doesn't work well on the mage. Try using this model instead for him: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...aver-182145/?prev=search=archmage&d=list&r=20

at the moment both heroes are made for kiting, maybe add a third with a different gameplay.

Level 31
I agree. I might work on variety once I jump to this project again. Hmm, ranger skin looks quite well I must say, it would fit well, but first of all, I must get to know how to use these skins, hehe. Never used ones before. Hmm, talking of blade, I just had to pick something in order to set right hand attached. I may look into this and perhaps blade would be replaced. I already know how to solve the boot problem, it might include several triggers, so ranger would get attached boots and sorcerer - not. My very first intention to make sorcerer was Malygos, I thought it would be perfect model. Once imported I realised that, if I record correctly, the portrait of model itself was terribly developed and I couldn't let it stay. Of course, third hero with different gameplay instead of killing and smashing would be nice.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.

Level 26
was really fun, but that movement speed and knockback on contact spell is bugged. When you have exactly the amount of mana needed to activate it, it will be active all the time without draining mana and I don't think that you intended that :p

Level 31
Hmm, there is an issue with that one. But spell itself is not active, just those lightnings around are. It might get fixed by adjusting mana required to active and some triggers. Also, simply by turning it On and the Off it might get fixed, hehe.. But it might take a while to set it right. Thanks.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
It starts being annoying when the enemy has four heavy units that heal every other of their units.
-Berserker Arrow knockbacks before hitting
-there was still a Draenei caster but round 2 ended
-at level four, no spell can be chosen?

3.5/5.

Last edited:

Edy

Edy

Level 9
One of the first maps that made me appreciate how beautiful a good terrained arena can look, such a beauty, the first map that made me think is this beauty possible in warcraft 3