• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Credits For Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello dear Hivers :)

I was messing around Dota Forums recently, posting, watching suggestions(mostly icons) and so on... I noticed that people just take icons from here, possibly edit them and they don't give credits(like claiming it's their work) So I snapped on forum staff and they did something about it.

From now on Dota Forums will give general credits to THW for it's used resources. Its all I could do, I was aiming for names of resource creators, but it's just not possible. Still better than nothing at least we get some credit.

Ok this is it, just to let you know ;)

~Berz

It went via PM's.

Ok, mods are now actively discussing now and got some answer

- From supa_fly : Just encourage giving credits

- From Cp6uja_ : Make a rule about it

- From Wyk : As you suggest, make a sticky thread about must to give credits

- From Foede and several other staffs : Put hiveworkshop in links (which is nothing for now). So, this will give general credits for all hiveworkshop users.

Just FYI, making a sticky thread / rule / whatsoever is pretty much impratical since people will just forgot it as the time goes on. Also, make it mandatory will make mods (include me) will be very hard in managing all those threads. And furthermore, we can see several not-so-original icon (new made icon that is taken from another icon made by other people) and this could cause some problems. Personally, I prefer the last option to give credits generally instead of specific people.
this is the last PM, the conclusion.

I'm trying, to do that, but moderators can't do much about it, people are just spaming with resources there and the thing got out of hand. Every time I saw an icon I posted a link to the original source, "yelled" at them, so they were forced to give credits. I think problem lies within people, they should learn to respect and value something.

I'll do my best and try to make something more of it.

Level 16
Hello dear Hivers :)

I was messing around Dota Forums recently, posting, watching suggestions(mostly icons) and so on... I noticed that people just take icons from here, possibly edit them and they don't give credits(like claiming it's their work) So I snapped on forum staff and they did something about it.

From now on Dota Forums will give general credits to THW for it's used resources. Its all I could do, I was aiming for names of resource creators, but it's just not possible. Still better than nothing at least we get some credit.

Ok this is it, just to let you know ;)

~Berz
Awesome!

Level 22
What do you except? Those are DotA players. 'Nuff said.

Usually I would disagree to generalize like that but after seeing this I have to agree. WCreplays had some melee fun tourneys with some custom maps and models and they did give credit to hive users. I remember they contained Mr Goblin model(s) but I guess Dotaers are dotaers, tards xD

Level 36
Do they ever actually edit resources and implement them into the game? Otherwise, I don't see what the big deal is. Honestly, I'd be happy if someone used my icon or whatever in a suggestion; I don't really care if they recolor it without asking, since I'd just say yes anyways... if anything, I'd prefer not to be bothered. I'm sure nobody else thinks that way, but who knows.

Do they ever actually edit resources and implement them into the game? Otherwise, I don't see what the big deal is. Honestly, I'd be happy if someone used my icon or whatever in a suggestion; I don't really care if they recolor it without asking, since I'd just say yes anyways... if anything, I'd prefer not to be bothered. I'm sure nobody else thinks that way, but who knows.

I second that, no matter if we sound party poopers :p

Removed them if that was the wish of the author. The models, as you can see by the name of the Album, were posted by another user: I merely put them together in an album. I never edited them, and I haven't claimed to be the author either.

I apologize, I didn't know the author didn't agree with this.
Was PM from dude that used models from THW ^^

There is a little truth here as well :thumbs_up:

What do you except? Those are DotA players. 'Nuff said.
I am Dota player also and I know to play game, really, but just like you said, Those are DotA players... Starters, guys who are full of themselves, unfriendly and smarter than others (95% of DotA community :sad:) ruin game!
I saw everything in these 3 and half years of playing this game, constantly becoming more and more disappointed...

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

First of all, great initiative there Berzerker.

On the other hand, like Void pointed out, do these resources get used for anything other than suggestions? I'm sure that after all the mess around IceFrog and his team not giving credit before, they are slightly more aware of how some people react by now and try their best to not use resources without giving credit where it is due.

Finally, though, uploading a resource to a place like THW pretty much relives you of all rights to receive credit. You can't expect everyone to give you credit, but rather be glad that some people do. One thing is using your resource and not giving credit, another is stealing it and claiming it's theirs though. So don't get me wrong, if these people are in fact taking credit for work that aren't theirs I wish we'd have the means to stop them. At least this is a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.