• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Crediting Tutorial

Tutorial - How to give credits in a map.

You made a cool map and used custom resources (models, icons, skins) or received extra help in your map? And now you want to say thank you to your helpers?
No problem, this tutorial will show you how to do so.

1.) What are credits ?

Credits are your gratitude towards a person whose resources you have used in your map. Imported and shown custom resources in any kind should receive credits. People who supported you with the resources, the knowledge and their time to help, should be credited in your map.

a) If you are using a custom resource for an effect, a building, a hero or a unit in your map, that can be seen openly during gameplay the author of the resource should be credited, independent what status that resources have in your map. Feel free, if you think that the supplier made a very good job, to give special thanks to that person. Resources that you have been supplied by the same author do not need to be listed all one by one. It's enough if you write the authors name, then a bit space or a '-' and then list all the resources of the author.

b) People who helped you to accomplish your map by either supporting you with hints and clues or gave you the right code for your custom spells should be named in your map. They sacrificed their precious time to make you succeed with your map. These people who should get an extra credit in your map. Recommended is a special-thank-credit, because of the fact that they kept the contact with you trying to help.

View attachment 28588

If model, skin and icon can be seen openly in the map, then you should give credits for those. (The red circle marks the used resources.)

2.) Two ways of showing your respect towards your suppliers and helpers

a.) “The loadingscreen-method” – Credits of Loading screen

Using the loading screen a display for credits is the simplest way to give credits. The loading screen is the screen that you see when the map is loading. It mostly shows the name, the version and some custom graphics of the map. It's also a good place to assign the credits.

To into the loading screen options go to Scenario → Map loading screen

View attachment 28589
To use a custom loading screen tick 'Use campaign screen' then choose a loading screen at the right of the option and then add a title, a subtitle and the text (in which is your credits should be.

View attachment 28590
You see the final result.

b.) “The quest-tag-method” - Making a “credit quest”
Using a quest in the quest log, is a more complex method to show credits of your map, but does have some significant Advantages. 1.) You won't mess up the loading screen and assign more information about your map under the title and subtitle of your map and 2.) You have more space to write all credits down properly.

View attachment 28591
The 'a' marks the Triggers

The trigger:

• Quest
    • Ereignisse
      • Map initialization
    • Bedingungen
    • Aktionen
      • Quest - Create a Optional quest titled The credits with the description - Sansui for his awesome demon model,....., using icon path ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNStormEarth&Fire.blp

View attachment 28596
You see the quest ingame and the final result.

You see, it's very simple to give proper credits in your map to the authors, whose resources you used.
If you have both credit types in your map (loading screen and quest tag) it is not bad at all. You can't thank people to less. People would appreciate to have you one of the methods, but are even more happy if they see their names more often.^^

3.) Some last hints and tips

• It is always of big importance for your map that you give proper credits in your maps. With credits your map is much more complete than without and people who played your map could recognize you as a trustful and honest person.
  • Using eye catchers for the credits is always a good idea, as long as the eye catcher is smooth and not annoying. You can use a custom test colour for method a) or you can use a eye-catching icon for method b).

(This has been created by General Frank and can only be used on the THW.)

Last edited:
Oh I will attach this one to my links for sure :D

Oh btw there are also few other methods:
'Esc' -> Show few command buttons with names:
Models
Textures
etc etc

When player click on some he will see message on the screen with names etc etc!

Also same can be done with writing commands, example: -credits
There are also few more like writing credits into item description or ability for some awesome games without standard gameplay, also cinematic have different credits am I right! :D

Once again I really like this one, can't wait to link it to new uploaded maps :D

Level 24
I find the use for this tutorial pretty limited. Most people already credit resource authors, and those who don't probably won't stay on the Hive long enough to find this tutorial, or they simply don't care, but then they're a hopeless case either way.

I find the use for this tutorial pretty limited. Most people already credit resource authors, and those who don't probably won't stay on the Hive long enough to find this tutorial, or they simply don't care, but then they're a hopeless case either way.
You should read my comment above and check my work in map section!
Users will find this trust me, and they will learn how to do it!

EDIT:

Also btw GF you can add some of mine suggestion in your hints and tips part of tut...
At least that part about cinematic maps! :D

Level 24
You should read my comment above and check my work in map section!
Users will find this trust me, and they will learn how to do it!

EDIT:

Also btw GF you can add some of mine suggestion in your hints and tips part of tut...
At least that part about cinematic maps! :D
I did read your comment above, and honestly, I don't care about your work in the map section, I probably reviewed 150 or something maps during the time I was a map moderator, and crediting amongst regular users wasn't a big issue at all. There was, however, a bigger problem among a minority of the map authors, but this minority were generally of the slightly retarded kind that didn't care much about anything.

Either way, this tutorial got approved, so I guess everyone is happy. *whistles and lights a joint*

Last edited: