• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Creative Room/Puzzle/Labyrinth Designer searched!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

EDIT: After The_Silent introduced me to Depth-first_search here in this thread, things changed a little bit.

I majorly search for two kinds now:

Puzzles/Riddles:
The players have to solve a riddle or a puzzle of any kind to advance to the next room.
There is not much more to say to this, I would say.
I would like to have interaction with the environment.

Labyrinths:
I still need a couple of labyrinths, of the size 41x41 or 61x61 ( both would be great).
They should have many dead ends, crossings and misleading structure.
It is important that as less room as possible stays unedited.

If you already created anything for the old recruitment, please do send it to me.
I can use them for references and idea catching, an important point, one of the most important ones.

Hello,

if you enjoy creating complicated labyrinths, great dungeon halls and challenging puzzles, here is a call for you!

Explanation:

I am currently developing the base for a map that will auto-generate itself with the help of a map grid, meaning I can create a whole map from a concept you created. While it sounds awesome in theory, there is a lot of triggers to be done yet. I cannot promise I am going to finish the project up to a playable state, so consider my call as a rather volunteerly task you can do now and then if you are in the mood for. Though, I never worked more seriously on a project.

What I need: Concepts

Example for a room:

attachment.php

Requirements

• Concept based on either Room, Puzzle or Labyrinth tag
  • Size of 41x41 cells for rooms( note, the example has only 40x40, but I need 41x41)
  • Size of either 25x25 or 41x41 for puzzles/riddles
  • Size of either 41x41 or 51x51 for labyrinths ( 41x41 prefered)
  • Either a single wall or a compilation of 2x2 walls ( see example) for now

Explanation for tags:

Room: Halls and rooms, different themed and shaped areas, imagine it like a generic dungeon setup. Uniqueness and originality is an important term here.

Puzzle: One room with a twist, a riddle. The players will have to solve something, for example. You can also be creative and already creative puzzles/riddles if you wish to.

Labyrinth: A labyrinth-like room, many rooms and dead ends. Note that I am going to add formulae to the creation that randomize room setups, so it would be prefered if a maze has not only one solution, but some points one can be chosen from to be not a wall

Any help is appreciated and will be credited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 2
Wait,so lemme get this straight.All you want is for me to place a picture like yours,but with 41x41 cells?Can you give a better example with everything done?Like the hole concept,a random riddle.Also,the tag has to be only 1,right?I mean,you want 1 concept to be made of 1 room and that room to have a riddle to solve,to leave the room?And to go to another room i suppose.
About the labyrinth - so you want it to be made of several 41x41 rooms?"
If i were to let's say,create a wall/gate that requires a riddle to be solved to open it,do i make the wall/gate different color?Also the fragments of the riddle,that you have to rotate/move or interact in w/e way,if let's say they were a statues to be rotated.Do i make them different color as well?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Uhh, excuse when the initial post is confusing or not clear enough.

I need X rooms, of different types ( the tags in my first post).

Common rooms are always 41x41 big. They are simply rooms, no riddles, no anything, just walls amd smaller rooms within the 'room' of 41x41. Imagine it like a stage in a house.

Riddles are rooms with smaller or same size than common rooms, but they are structured to fit a riddle or puzzle you can set up youself.

Labyrinths are rooms ( note, room as term of like stage, a Labyrinth room exist of a free shape, the term room is just a general description) with a size of up to 51x51. They are... labyrinths, meaning there are a lot of walls creating dead ends and a lot of ways to choose from.

-> one room = a stage of one of the three tags. You can see in my example there are different rooms within this 'room', rather call it stage.

The rest you are free to decide, randomness is important, as well as the option to randomize an exit of a stage and such.

Level 2
Uhh, excuse when the initial post is confusing or not clear enough.

I need X rooms, of different types ( the tags in my first post).

Common rooms are always 41x41 big. They are simply rooms, no riddles, no anything, just walls amd smaller rooms within the 'room' of 41x41. Imagine it like a stage in a house.

Riddles are rooms with smaller or same size than common rooms, but they are structured to fit a riddle or puzzle you can set up youself.

Labyrinths are rooms ( note, room as term of like stage, a Labyrinth room exist of a free shape, the term room is just a general description) with a size of up to 51x51. They are... labyrinths, meaning there are a lot of walls creating dead ends and a lot of ways to choose from.

-> one room = a stage of one of the three tags. You can see in my example there are different rooms within this 'room', rather call it stage.

The rest you are free to decide, randomness is important, as well as the option to randomize an exit of a stage and such.

Okay,i understood now.I will edit my post when i've got something and you'll say if that's what you need.

EDIT:Wait!Do you want us to make a concept like the one that you've atached?Thought you wanted us to make a map with that grid.
Although making just the concept would be much easier.So,do i download the pic you've provided and edit it or you want a warcraft 3 map?

Last edited:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

EDIT:Wait!Do you want us to make a concept like the one that you've atached?Thought you wanted us to make a map with that grid.
Although making just the concept would be much easier.So,do i download the pic you've provided and edit it or you want a warcraft 3 map?
Nonono, I only need a picture like the one I attached :) not a whole wc3 map
It is like a plan for a building ( the wc3 map). It is the best if you provide it as a table file type, so I can easily edit it.

How about doorways, room entrances, bosses, ect.?
And will each room be triggered, or does it have to work without triggering?
Doorways are recommended to be, or let's say, have to be, 2x1 big.
Entrances and exits are the same, you assign positions for them ( I did not include them in the example, but you could just color them yellow, for example). However, you can also create fixed entrances and exits ( so an exit is an exit and an entrance is an entrance, one cannot be the other).
Bosses are not included. What you could do is create secret chambers ( stages with little rooms with a hidden boss).
I am going to trigger the rooms 100%.

Also, use a "depth first search" algorithm to generate random mazes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth-first_search

Same wikia page has a video of how it works to generate a maze.
Oh nice, thanks a bunch! I prefer user-created ones though :) I will study the algorithm though, maybe I can use it, too.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Update: After The_Silent introduced me to Depth-first_search here in this thread, things changed a little bit.

I majorly search for two kinds now:

Puzzles/Riddles:
The players have to solve a riddle or a puzzle of any kind to advance to the next room.
There is not much more to say to this, I would say.
I would like to have interaction with the environment.

Labyrinths:
I still need a couple of labyrinths, of the size 41x41 or 61x61 ( both would be great).
They should have many dead ends, crossings and misleading structure.
It is important that as less room as possible stays unedited.

If you already created anything for the old recruitment or want to follow the old one instead of the new one, please do send it to me.
I can use them for references and idea catching, an important point, one of the most important ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.