• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[vJASS] Creating Floating Texts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hello Hivers,

What are the general rules when coding (with vJass) with Floating Texts? I read a post that stated that if you Create them locally and use them in a hashtable you will have desync problems?

I'm basically trying to create a good base system to track each players floating text in the game (Due to the 100 limit), IE it being Unit Name Tags, Damage Text, Etc..

I would like to make the floating texts an object stored in a hashtable and created locally based on conditions. Will I have problems?

Thanks!

ShadowFlare

Level 12
As long as the things different players do not interact you should have no problem. The problems comes when something created locally for player A interacts with anything of another player.

As I know floating texts and visual effects are a some of the few things which do not cause desinc if used locally. Although if you try to store any of the local data into anything available to other players, you will have problems.

Pls, Correct me if wrong !

One important thing when using text tags - do NOT use the SetTextTagColor() native to set its color, since this function is bugged and might cause the text to not show up at all. Instead, use the normal color hex tags you use when making tooltips.

I don't think saving a locally created texttag in a hashtable is a good idea though, since the other players will be saving a null value instead, and i am not sure how the client handles this (for instance, GetHandleId(null) might cause you some issues).

Status
Not open for further replies.