• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Creating flag skins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello, I am currently making a map project with my friend and I need help. In the map there are supposed to be nations that are at war with each other. Each nation has it's own symbol to represent it, basically like a flag (like USA, France, etc.).

I wanted to make the flag skins, so I used programs found here on The Hive to extract the flag .mdx and .blp of the wc3 flag, the one where it has a white stripe, then a blue stripe, then a white stripe (generally in the Dalaran set). I then used photoshop, etc. etc. And now I have my flag-type .blp's. However, when I go to set the doodad's model file to the new .blp I imported, it only accepts .mdx's.

Is there a way to make my new .blp's work for a doodad's model file? If I have my .blp already made, can I simply convert that to an .mdx so I can set the doodad's .mdx to my new flag?

Level 28
Yes: you can use them as skins, though a model can only have 1 skin, so you can only have 1 flag type per actual flag model.
If you've based all flags off the same model, then it wouldn't be possible unless you also extract the model, change the required texture X times and import it X times...

Anyhow, when importing the .blp file in your map, rename it to what it was originally named (sorry, I don't know how it was called, but since you extracted it, you should know it... it can be seen in any MPQ editor).
When you renamed the file (inside warcraft), just use the standard model and it will use the texture you made.

Status
Not open for further replies.