• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Creating a mass unit upgrade like the orc's Berserker Upgrade

For this tutorial I am going to refer to the unit that is going to be upgraded as the “Tier2 Unit” and the unit that it is upgraded from as the “Tier1 Unit”.

Step 1: Creating the Upgrade

• Locate the Orc’s “Berserker Upgrade” in the Object Editor’s upgrade tab.
  • Create a new upgrade based on the Berserker upgrade.
War3Tut01a.jpg
  • Replace the “Troll Headhunter” with your Tier1 Unit.
  • Replace the “Troll Berserker” with your Tier2 Unit.
War3Tut01b.jpg

Step2: Creating the Upgrade ability.

• Locate the Orc’s “Berserker Upgrade” ability in the Object Editor’s abilities tab and create a new ability based on it.
War3Tut01c.jpg
  • Change the “Troll Berserker” to your Tier2 Unit.
  • Change the requirements to the upgrade that you made in step 1.
War3Tut01d.jpg

• -Locate your Tier1 Unit and add your newly created “Upgrade” ability to its list of abilities.
War3Tut01e.jpg

Step 3: Making the Tier2 Unit trainable.

• Add your Tier2 Unit to the same structure that trains your Tier1 Unit.
  • Add your upgrade that you made in step 1 to your structure.
War3Tut01f.jpg

Step 4: Making the Tier2 Unit unavailable until researched.

• Click on Scenario.
  • Click on Techtree.
War3Tut01g.jpg
  • Check "Use Custom Techtree"
  • Select all Players that will have access to the Tier2 Unit.
  • Navigate to your Tier2 Unit via the drop-down menus.
    (Note: If your structure is not yet buildable by any worker it will not show in the listings)
  • Uncheck "available" for your Tier2 Unit.
War3Tut01h.jpg

You should now have a working upgrade that changes all units of one type into another type once researched.

Step 5: Creating a second level for the Mass Unit Upgrade

• Locate the Orc’s “Berserker Upgrade” in the Object Editor’s upgrade tab.
  • Create another new upgrade based on the Berserker upgrade.
  • Replace the “Troll Headhunter” with your Tier2 Unit.
  • Replace the “Troll Berserker” with your Tier3 Unit.

Step6: Creating the Upgrade ability again.

• Locate the Orc’s “Berserker Upgrade” ability in the Object Editor’s abilities tab and create a new ability based on it.
  • Change the “Troll Berserker” to your Tier3 Unit.
  • Change the requirements to the upgrade that you made in step 5.
  • Locate your Tier2 Unit and add your newly created “Upgrade” ability to its list of abilities.

Step 7: Making the Tier3 Unit trainable.

• Add your Tier3 Unit to the same structure that trains your Tier1 and Tier2 Unit.
  • Add your upgrade that you made in step 5 to your structure.

Step 8: Making the Tier3 Unit unavailable until researched.

• Click on Scenario.
  • Click on Techtree.
  • Check "Use Custom Techtree"
  • Select all Players that will have access to the Tier3 Unit.
  • Navigate to your Tier3 Unit via the drop-down menus.
    (Note: If your structure is not yet buildable by any worker it will not show in the listings)
  • Uncheck "available" for your Tier3 Unit.

Step 9: Making the upgrade made in step 5 unavailable until the upgrade made in step 1 is researched.

• Click on Scenario.
  • Click on Upgrades.
  • Check "Use Custom Upgrades"
  • Select all Players that will have access to the upgrade made in step 5.
  • Navigate to your upgrade made in step 5 via the drop-down menus.
  • Set to "unavailable" for your upgrade made in step 5.
  • Create this trigger.
    • Swordsman Upgrade Finished
      • Events
        • Unit - A unit Finishes research
      • Conditions
        • (Researched tech-type) Equal to Tier2 Unit Upgrade
      • Actions
        • Player - Set the max research level of Tier3 Unit Upgrade to 1 for (Owner of (Triggering unit))

Note: If doing this optional part, making the hot keys for both levels of the upgrades and units the same helps for smooth game play.

Last edited:
Looks much better, thanks for the advice Pyrite.

It is kinda obvious, people only have to open up the object editor and locate Berserker...

Well anyway nice try...

Oh, and add "Hidden" tags to every image!

Yeah but everyone always forgets step 4 and then they end up using triggers to make the unit unavaible.

Level 40
It is kinda obvious, people only have to open up the object editor and locate Berserker...

Well anyway nice try...

Oh, and add "Hidden" tags to every image!
It's hard to say what qualifies as "easy" once you know it--if we said that about everything, we'd have no tutorials. I would say this is useful, especially the quirks of having to manually disable training of the unit, etc.

Level 1
How to do if i want to upgrade Footman-->Swordman-->Captain because like this way i does it then i can see both upgrades i only want it to show one of the upgrades and then after researched the next upgrade shows up. Please tell me how to. :)

How to do if i want to upgrade Footman-->Swordman-->Captain because like this way i does it then i can see both upgrades i only want it to show one of the upgrades and then after researched the next upgrade shows up. Please tell me how to. :)
You will have to create a trigger that runs upon research completion that removes the old upgrade and then adds the new upgrade.

There's a problem... If I use this method on structures, the upgraded structure won't be built at all post upgrade... The building displays at the build menu, and I can give the build order, then the peasant moves to the place and it does absolutely nothing... how to fix that?

EDIT: Fixed! I just had to add the large list of buildings, including pre and post upgrades.

Last edited: