• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Create proper darkness at night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm that might prove more difficult than what I can handle at the moment.
I guess I can find the models somewhere since I have the MPQs but editing them (unless it can be done in War3ModelEditor) is a no go. Blame me for messing with registry files ;)

Edit:
Argh. I guess you mean something like this?
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing 1234 as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Custom script: call SetDayNightModels("", "")
      • Custom script: call SetDayNightModels("Environment\\DNC\\DNCFelwood\\DNCFolwoodTerrain\\DNCFelwoodTerrain.mdl" , "Environment\\DNC\\DNCFelwood\\DNCFelwoodUnit\\DNCFelwoodUnit.mdl")
And then use models which uses omni light?

Last edited:
Omni lights can also be created through the War3 Model Editor!
a_d70ea455.jpg

I'll find a tutorial on how to do so.

A follow up question.
  • Custom script: call SetDayNightModels("", "")
Can I write some value/s so it won't get completely dark?

Edit:
Ah. I understand. All that ("Environment\\DNC\\DNCFelwood\\DNCFolwoodTerrain\\DNCFelwoodTerrain.mdl" , "Environment\\DNC\\DNCFelwood\\DNCFelwoodUnit\\DNCFelwoodUnit.mdl") obviously goes there instead of leaving nothing between the " ".

Another question arises then. Can I edit anything (probably the DNCsomemodel?) so everything will appear really dark with becoming completely black?

Edit 2:
Screw that last question. I found a tutorial.
http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/cat_usersubmit.php?view=114715

Thanks you for stopping by!

Last edited:
Yeah sorry for double posting.

I use this trigger action.
  • Custom script: call SetDayNightModels("NewFelWoodTerrain.mdl" , "Environment\\DNC\\DNCFelwood\\DNCFelwoodUnit\\DNCFelwoodUnit.mdl")
I have created a new FelWood DNC file (.mdx). And imported it to the map as "NewFelWoodTerrain.mdx". <-(Mdx because that's what the default DNC files are).

When used ingame the terrain appears completely black. Units and object show as normally, so I'm guessing I either imported it incorrectly or I use the wrong call.

First of all try to attach the model on a unit and try placing the unit in in the World Editor, to see its effect. Report back.

Instead of the unit's model I tried using the imported NewFelWood.Mdx.

I get the standard error for when the editor can't recognize the model: "Could not load NewFelWood.Mdl".

Edit:
If I change the import path to the path of the default FelWoodTerrain.mdx I get the same error.
Using this path: Environment\DNC\DNCFelWood\DNCFelWoodTerrain\FelWoodTerrain.mdl

Well, the problem is the intensity actually. If you set it to 0.6 for example, it will be close to what you want and still visible.
Close your error and restart.

Alright yeah. I set the Intensity to 0.6.
I use "NewFelWood.mdx" as imported path and
  • Custom script: call SetDayNightModels("NewFelWoodTerrain.mdl" , "Environment\\DNC\\DNCFelwood\\DNCFelwoodUnit\\DNCFelwoodUnit.mdl")
as the call.
When first used all terrain gets darker. Check.
However when I set the time of day to 0 the darkness level of the terrain remains the same.
So right now the only visible difference between day and night is that the objects in the map gets darker.

So it works, and then it kinda doesn't yet.

On a side note.
Why would an intensity of 0.5 and below show total blackness?

Status
Not open for further replies.