• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Create Lightning Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Was just wondering as to how I could use GUI triggers to make a simple lightning flash at the beginning of an opening cinematic on my map. Seems like it would be easy, but still can't figure it out... Cinematic is already made, just want the lightning flash. Oh, would also like the cinematic to start out completely black, then have the black fade away as the cinematic starts. Help? xD

I am not sure i understood what you mean but anyway:
Create a region.
Then at the beginning of the cinematic do the following:
  • Special Effect-Create Special Effect using Lightning Flash at Lightning Flash.
This will create the flash.If you want a bigger flash create a dummy unit and use that instead of the special effect.Use:
  • Unit-Create 1 Lightning Flash at Lighning Flash facing default degrees.
  • wait 2 seconds.
  • Remove last created unit.
I think this should do it.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Use these actions:

• Actions:
  • Cinematic (Fade Filter) - Fade out over [B][I]Fading Time[/I][/B] seconds using texture [B]Black Mask[/B] and color (0.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%) with 0.00% transparency
  • Lightning (Create Lightning Effect) - Create a Chain Lightning - Primary lightning effect from source [B][I]Point[/I][/B] to target [B][I]Point[/I][/B]
For example, you have two footmen. If you create the Lightning using the position of those two footmen, a "chain lightning" will be created with their edges on the two footmen. But as I said, it's the position, so if the footmen move, the lightning will NOT move as well.

Also, you might want to introduce yourself to our community here.

Level 5
Use these actions:

• Actions:
  • Cinematic (Fade Filter) - Fade out over [B][I]Fading Time[/I][/B] seconds using texture [B]Black Mask[/B] and color (0.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%) with 0.00% transparency
  • Lightning (Create Lightning Effect) - Create a Chain Lightning - Primary lightning effect from source [B][I]Point[/I][/B] to target [B][I]Point[/I][/B]
For example, you have two footmen. If you create the Lightning using the position of those two footmen, a "chain lightning" will be created with their edges on the two footmen. But as I said, it's the position, so if the footmen move, the lightning will NOT move as well.

well assuming you only want to create a streak of lightning created quickly and dissapear, you could simply:

• Actions
    • Lightning - Create a Chain Lightning - Primary lightning effect from source (Position of Peasant 0000 <gen>) to target (Position of Peasant 0001 <gen>)
    • Wait 0.01 seconds
    • Lightning - Destroy (Last created lightning effect)
or, if you just want it for some spooky cinimatics, you could just use the first line he sugested and make the screen flicker a bunch of times to simulate sheet lightning.

however, if you wanted a vertical lightning strike as if from a cloud you could just use a special effect such as:

• Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Center of (Playable map area)) using Abilities\Spells\Other\Monsoon\MonsoonBoltTarget.mdl
witch is under the "Buff" catagory in the WE

Status
Not open for further replies.