• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Create Effect [AIR to GROUD]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Moin moin =)

I want create a new spell in vJass (actually I'm learning it) and have a question about it.

I think, this is possible but the question is: HOW?

In the spell, a sun should slowly fly from one point to another ( in high of 500 ). Now how can I create a effect "somehow like a laser effect" from the sun in 500 high to the ground?
In my spell every 0,5 seconds a random region in 1000 AOE is picked, and then this effect should go from the sun to the center of the picked region.

Hope someone have an answer ( maybe it's easier as I thought ) and can help me. And please as everyone know, my english is not the best, so not sooo much text please :wsad:

Greetings, Peace and Thanks
Dr. Boom

EDIT!!!!
DO steps 1-4 first to make the sun (if the sun will just be a spawned effect)
and then steps 1-5 for the laser like effect that emits from the sun.

1)Create a dummy unit
2)Add/remove medivh's raven form to enable height changing
3)Set his unit height into the max height
4)attach the effect to the unit
5)make a periodic action which reduces that unit's height and moves it towards the target point...

Last edited:
Level 16
Moin moin =)

Yes this sounds simple and I got something like that already in my mind before I asked, but this will be complicated to code in vJass ( for me ).

Because if I use that with dummies, first I have to time it, every 0.50 seconds one effect. This means every 0.50 seconds a random point in the main area, then the dummy and after the dummy is landing, a nother effect should be created at this point and damage.

This stuff must happen in a 0.03 second vJass loop because I need to move the sun ( other dummy ) and so on ...

Thought there's maybe a easier way to do this, but if thats the way ... good god!

Greetings Thanks and Peace
Dr. Boom

Can't you do that in GUI then?

Btw, create dummy unit with 0 height at the sun's position. Use lightning (might not work, I dunno if lightning has height) from the dummy to the sun.

Moin moin...

I think AddLightningEx can have height, not sure though if that is for the whole lightning or if it can be adjusted for the start and end points...

It should. If you cast Chain Lightning or Finger of Death at an aerial unit, it will change height. Also, Aerial Shackles has the same feature.

I know! just create a dummy chain lightning spell! and create a dummy unit at the point, then make the sun cast the chain lightning to the dummy!

or if you need the sun to be able to cast it multiple times at the same time, you can create dummy casters also the the suns position, do steps 1-3, and add the chain lightning ability to the dummy caster and make him cast it to the dummy at the target point...

Level 16
Moin moin =)

Wow much help here, thank you all.

I will take the solution, that I create dummy at the target area and make another dummy at the sun and this dummy will cast a lightning at the other dummy on the ground ... something like that.
That is the easiest way I think, to make it ^^

Again thanks to all for spending time and help with my problem.

Greetings, Thanks and Peace
Dr. Boom

Level 12
Except he wants to do it in vJASS, so he can learn.

That's why he isn't wanting to do it in GUI. :)

Level 9
Nope... It's impossible with lightning because lightning effects only refer to lateral distance NOT heights... Like Adiktuz said, a dummy unit can be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.