• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Crabs Take Over The Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
This map is being created by me, with help from the remnants of Clan TTG.
Here's the development thread on the Clan TTG forum:
http://ae-f.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=90&st=0

Purpose
I came up with the idea after reading the short science fiction story called Crabs Take Over The Island. In the story, mechanical self-replicating crabs gain control of their own evolution in the midst of an endless battle royale. The defeated crab is destroyed and its materials used to make a new crab. The killing crab rebuilds the dead crab metal into a new crab in its own image, thus simulating reproduction. Survival of the fittest. A reasonable evolution simulation.

Details
If it was just a constant kill-fest the game would get boring quickly. So I spiced it up by adding 12 abilities the crab
s can learn and each ability can get stronger up to level 10. Also there's a shop filled with items.

Abilities
Tier 1
Crit: Chance to get a critical strike.
Pummel: Grabs and swings the target crab into the ground multiple times, stunning it when the technique is complete. However, you are vulnerable to other crabs while performing. Takes 4 seconds to perform, stuns the target for X seconds. Belly Shot will always beat Pummel to the punch.
Divine Shell: Makes the crab immune to all damage for X seconds. (Very short duration)
Belly Shot: Attacks the enemy crab's weakpoint, not dealing massive damage but stunning it for X seconds. Also knocks back a bit. Casts faster than Pummel. (But shorter stun than Pummel)
Vanish: 5 second Wind Walk
Regenerate: Heals the crab to full
Tier 2
Smash: Charges up for X seconds then slams the ground, destroying any crab within short range.
Static Tether: Pulls a target enemy crab to yours if it's far away, but knocks the target back if it's close up.
Body Slam: Jumps up high and lands at the target point. Stuns all targets for X seconds and stuns yourself for 2 seconds.
Tier 3
Auto-Salvage: Your crab will repair itself X% of the damage it deals with normal attacks.
Energy Drain: Steals X hit points and mana per second from a target enemy crab for 3 seconds. (Ranged ability)
Bowling: Hurls the target crab back with a tremendous force, damaging it and anything it collides with by X%.
Tier 4
Gyrate - Incapacitates and braces the target crab and swings it viciously in circles around your crab. The rotation is then halted by a powerful blow to the target, dealing 75% of its remaining health in damage. However, your own crab is stunned for 2 seconds after the maneuver and the target crab is stunned for 1 second. If the target is below 50% health, it will be destroyed. Any third crab that collides with your target while performing will be damaged as well.

Items
Items can be bought for gold that you get by killing other crabs. Even after your crab dies, you keep your items.
Sharpened Claw: Increases the attack damage of the crab by 5 and also gives a chance to make the target leak vital fluids for 100 damage over 10 seconds. (Arrow attached animation on left claw)
Barbed Claw: Increases your crab's attack damage by 12, prevents your Belly Shot from knocking the target back, and reduces the performance time of Pummel by 1 second. (Black Arrow attached animation on right claw)
Liquid Nitrogen Injector: Attacks slow the movement speed and attack rate of the target for 2 seconds. (Frost bolt attached animation on left claw)
Unstable Static Plate Armor: Increases armor by 15 and returns 10% damage to any crab who attacks you. Also causes your Static Tether to damage the target for 20% of its current hit points.
Core Protection System: Automatically grants temporary immunity to the crab from any harmful ability. 1 minute cooldown.
Disposable Tuneup Kit: Increases all stats by 2 permanently, even after being reconstructed. Takes up no inventory space.
CounterManeuver AI Chip: Performs Belly Shot automatically when your crab is the target of a Pummel attack, effectively disrupting the enemy's Pummel.|n|cffcf1919(Requires Belly Shot, enough mana to cast Belly Shot, and Belly Shot cooldown ready)|r|nAlso creates Divine Shell automatically when attacked.|n|cffcf1919(Requires Divine Shell, enough mana to cast Divine Shell, and Divine Shell cooldown ready)|r
Inaction-Activated Turtle Chip: Increases armor by 150 whenever your crab is stunned. Also increases armor by 25 for 5 seconds after performing Divine Shell.
Multispectrum Sensors: Allows your crab to see invisible crabs and opponents' Crab Traps from a good distance and increases line of sight range dramatically.
Self-Correcting Balance Counterweight: Reduces the duration of the self-inflicted stun on your crab when performing Body Slam to 1 second and reduces the cast time of Bounce to 2 seconds. Also increases the crab's movement speed slightly.
SmartHeal AI Chip: Performs Regenerate whenever the crab drops below 30% health in combat.|n|cffcf1919(Requires Regenerate, enough energy to cast Regenerate, and Regenerate cooldown ready)|r|nAlso eliminates the short pause after performing Regenerate so that the crab resumes combat immediately.
Crab Traps: Leaves a trap that when activated holds the target in place for 5 seconds and deals half its health in damage. 3 charges.

Powerups
Duplicate: Creates 2 mirror images for 30 seconds.
Berserking: Increases damage by 15, attack speed by 30%, and movement speed by 20% for 30 seconds.
Clockwave: Destructive energy is emitted in one direction from the Crab, rotating like a clock for 30 seconds.

Other Stuff
When you die and are rebuilt, your crab gets launched in the air to a random point on the map. This is to prevent the same fight from happening multiple times.
You always have the Bounce ability, taking 4 seconds to cast but will launch you to a random point on the map (use if stuck).
You start with 1 random Tier 1 ability. You have a chance to gain a new ability in addition to your parent's abilities after you get rebuilt.
You begin as a Lesser Crab (T1), at level 5 evolve into a Greater Crab (T2), at level 10 a Mutant Crab (T3), and at level 15 a Greater Mutant (T4).
There is a Fountain of Health in the center of the island.

Terrain
Terrain.jpg

Loading Screen
CTOTILoadscreenFlat.jpg

Completion
I could say it's finished with content and just has a few non gamebreaking bugs, but there's always room for more to be added which is why I'm open to suggestions.

You Can Help
I need suggestions, I need testers, I need balancing work. It's pretty well balanced but some things may still need to be looked at.
Feedback and criticism are welcome.

I've done a lot of public testing as well as private testing with computer AIs. Usually B.net testing is kind of hit-or-miss; the players are a lively group and love the game, or never speak a word and end up leaving before the game gets fun.

I've been working on ways to make the game seem more exciting at the start (such as the loading screen, starting with 1 ability) but I'm coming up short. I've considered making the camera system completely third person, but that would make it harder to select the shop (since you can buy items at any point on the map).

Feel free to download it and play with a full house of computers, or on B.net if you're interested in helping me. However, computers don't buy items but they use all the abilities so it's good enough.

Feedback/comments/flames please.

Update 01/11/08
3.02:
-Made all ranks of abilities cost the same mana
-Added the Gyrate ultimate ability (for Tier 4 only)
-Changed Pummel so that it kills any third crab that collides with the target upon hitting the ground
-Reduced the durations of Powerups to 15 seconds
-Changed Smash and Belly Shot to also destroy trees
-Changed the appearance of Greater Crab
-Trees grow back faster
-Fixed a bug where some abilities wouldn't level up, also prioritizes the best abilities when a player accumulates more than 6 abilities
-Nerfed Crit
-Changed Sling Boulder to Bowling (different functionality)

Bowling is what it sounds like; you literally throw crabs into each other and it deals damage for every collision with another crab. It's fun as hell.

Gyrate incapacitates and braces the target crab and swings it viciously in circles around your crab. The rotation is then halted by a powerful blow to the target, dealing 75% of its remaining health in damage. However, your own crab is stunned for 2 seconds after the maneuver and the target crab is stunned for 1 second. If the target is below 50% health, it will be destroyed. Any third crab that collides with your target while performing will be damaged as well.

Download below.

Attachments

• Crabs Take Over The Island 3.02.w3x
    795.8 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Level 4
You should definately change the name, maybe to Crab Revolution? XD

Last edited:
Level 8
sounds great.
im at a cyber , so i cant download it right now...
i will post tomorrow (im posting my opinion and etc)..

Level 4
No bugs at all, but two sugestions,

If you scroll in, the screen locks like that and it's a little annoying.
Also, the end game takes a long time, maybe add more abilities?

That's so addicting though, It was hard to stop. XD + rep

Level 7
No bugs at all, but two sugestions,

If you scroll in, the screen locks like that and it's a little annoying.
Also, the end game takes a long time, maybe add more abilities?

That's so addicting though, It was hard to stop. XD + rep

Thanks. You can fix the cam by typing -cam, as it says in the quest log.
And it is very possible I might add more content.

@Ragingspeedhorn
Clan TTG is just now starting to get back together. Soon we will form a WC3 clan and we will be back in full force when SC2 comes out. OCDrummer47 is making a map also.

Level 8
i played it :grin:... its awesome , +rep.

but i have doubts with the leveling system and evolve system , i mean , i just dont kill , and then , when i get pwned , i evolved or lvl up...

could you explain?.

Level 4
If you die, you gain the same level -1 as your killer and you gain the killers abilitys.

You win by kills, and this system also allows people who have had a bad start to catch up.

Level 7
i played it :grin:... its awesome , +rep.

but i have doubts with the leveling system and evolve system , i mean , i just dont kill , and then , when i get pwned , i evolved or lvl up...

could you explain?.

If you die, you gain the same level -1 as your killer and you gain the killers abilitys.

You win by kills, and this system also allows people who have had a bad start to catch up.
Maybe I was unclear on how it works... let me explain.
When you get killed by a crab, it becomes your parent, and you are rebuilt in your parent's image. However you are not an exact replica; mutations occur frequently. There is a 25% chance you will go down a level, 50% chance you will stay the same level as your parent, and 25% chance you will gain a level.

Since higher level crabs are more likely to win fights, evolution occurs. You do not gain experience or levels by killing crabs; you only gain gold.

Ability leveling works similarly, however they have a higher chance to level down than up, and an even smaller chance to be forgotten.

Level 7
*Big Update*
3.02:
-Made all ranks of abilities cost the same mana
-Added the Gyrate ultimate ability (for Tier 4 only)
-Changed Pummel so that it kills any third crab that collides with the target upon hitting the ground
-Reduced the durations of Powerups to 15 seconds
-Changed Smash and Belly Shot to also destroy trees
-Changed the appearance of Greater Crab
-Trees grow back faster
-Fixed a bug where some abilities wouldn't level up, also prioritizes the best abilities when a player accumulates more than 6 abilities
-Nerfed Crit
-Changed Sling Boulder to Bowling (different functionality)

Bowling is what it sounds like; you literally throw crabs into each other and it deals damage for every collision with another crab. It's fun as hell.

Gyrate incapacitates and braces the target crab and swings it viciously in circles around your crab. The rotation is then halted by a powerful blow to the target, dealing 75% of its remaining health in damage. However, your own crab is stunned for 2 seconds after the maneuver and the target crab is stunned for 1 second. If the target is below 50% health, it will be destroyed. Any third crab that collides with your target while performing will be damaged as well.

Download 3.02 in the first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.