• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Corpse Decay Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
So I'm having issues preventing corpses from decaying for cinematic purposes. The function "Suspend Corpse Decay" does not work properly any way I've tried it. At best it slows down corpse decay slightly and nowhere near enough.

Create permanent corpse does not create a permanent corpse either.

So I went into gameplay constants and set the decay times up very high. This mostly works except that I can't have some corpses decay at a normal rate if I want them to and that on rare occasions a corpse will be stuck standing up for some reason, looking like the unit is still alive.

Does anyone know a way to solve this problem?

Level 25
You could use Doodads - Props - Shorched Remains.

Or create units with triggers and have them play their death/decay animation with Animation - Play animation.

For the decay animation to stop decaying, set the animation speed to 0%.

Level 8
There is also Unit - Suspend corpse decay action

As I mentioned, suspend corpse decay does not seem to actually work. I've tested it under numerous circumstances and all it does is slow decay down slightly. Permanent corpse creation similarly does not work.

You could use Doodads - Props - Shorched Remains.

Or create units with triggers and have them play their death/decay animation with Animation - Play animation.

For the decay animation to stop decaying, set the animation speed to 0%.

I could use scorched remains except that those don't look at all fresh and recognizable and therefore defeat the purpose of having a corpse not decay.

In some maps I do use units with locust or the like playing their death animation to simulate corpses and that certainly works fine for a cinematic, but I pretty much need a whole village worth of people killed by the player to be lying around indefinitely and the best solution I can come up with using your method would be to:
1) detect dying unit
2) set a point variable = dying unit's location, a unit variable = its type, a real variable = its facing
3) remove dying unit
4) create a dummy unit of the type of that unit at the location of that unit facing the way that unit was facing
5) play that unit's death animation at normal speed

Surely there's a better way. Among the many problems with that one is that the units aren't really dead so spells like Carrion Beetles wouldn't work on them.

This whole gameplay constant thing is almost working for me, but the small and seemingly random assortment of people who end up dead while standing makes it look ridiculous. Maybe there's some better way to set the gameplay constants?
Or some way to make suspend decay actually function?

Status
Not open for further replies.