• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Continuous Beam Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi there guys, I searched the forum and I couldn't find an existing topic pertaining to my problem, so here goes:

I'm trying to make an attack (or ability to use as an attack I suppose) that fires a continuous laser beam from my unit to its target (think Freespace 2).

The real problem is that I also want the beam to damage any units that pass through it (kind of like firewall) while it is firing for the same amount as the primary target.

Even just making a continuous beam-like attack seems difficult (I already have a laser model), as the lowest attack speed you can set is 0.00/0.01 and there are still significant breaks in the laser (even when buffed up 200%). I also worry that if I create many flying dummy units that have immolation to create the "firewall" effect and fly them to the target it will lag the game too much (I want this to be a bnet friendly map).

There may potentially be up to 10 of these beams on the screen at once in the long run.

Level 5
I'm sort of a noob, but I'm creative. I suggest making a trig that picks every unit in a unit group u want as a target (For instance, between the targeted point and your caster's point) and make the casting unit damage them, wait .01 pick the units again (just in case some units moved away from the AoE u want), damage again, wait, pick, damage, wait, pick, damage, until you stop the trig.

Status
Not open for further replies.