• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Contest Idea (Ancient Age)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Since the Hive and WC3 modeling overall lack ancient themed models (Greeks, Romans, Persians, Carthaginians, Gauls/Celts etc) which degrades the visuals of such themed maps the next or any upcoming contest could focus on ancient units and/or structures.

I know they might be somewhat less useful than medieval/warcraft models since the community mostly cares for those as it's the main game theme, but there's many of these already.

The idea actually springs from need for such models in my map. I'm not meaning to put pressure on it or be to selfish, so if it is too much to ask or too little benefit for the site compared to other themes I understand.

If it ends up happening I have more specific suggestions for it, such as rules of in game textures to reduce filesize and make them blend better with other WC3 models.

Level 18
It's not too boring if you try making something else than a catapult, hoplite or a legionnaire. And even they can be made to look interesting enough.

As a matter of fact, I'm getting bored of the tons of models of elves, wizards, skeletons, marines and space ships.

Level 7
Boring or not depends on personal preference. Fantasy might seem more interesting visually but history (especially if you've red on the target period) can become the same.

For example I love both fantasy and historical settings but lately I have more interest in the historical (besides from trying to write a fantasy book:p). While there's games with pre-set historical settings WC3 is the easiest and most interesting to mod thanks to it's powerful editor.

I think Wc3 needs some such themed models, especially if there's enough interest from people (on which I don't have a large clue but I'm sure to a degree models inspire people on selecting map themes as well)

NhazUl would you be interested in making ancient models even if the contest doesn't happen?

Level 49
It's not too boring if you try making something else than a catapult, hoplite or a legionnaire. And even they can be made to look interesting enough.

As a matter of fact, I'm getting bored of the tons of models of elves, wizards, skeletons, marines and space ships.

It is not boring to you. It is boring as a contest theme, there is not alot space and creative freedom for a modeller. What else can you make inside? And as i said - everything of what you can make you can find in Titan Quest aswell and rip it.

I agree to this contest could be intersting, we really have too many marines, mages, taurens, but why not to create something what is from the past. I never asked myself how we never had such contest xD.
U have my support, btw peekay, whenever you make some suggestion, it sound so unclear and complicated/complex and I really cannot understand what you want to we do while this is simple to understand, easy to get ideas, and to say It I would enjoy to join this contest.

Level 7
It is not boring to you. It is boring as a contest theme, there is not alot space and creative freedom for a modeller. What else can you make inside? And as i said - everything of what you can make you can find in Titan Quest aswell and rip it.

Problem with rips is animations, file size, visual cohesion and that not anyone can do it. About creativity, there's actually much you can do and a huge variety of units and other models possible. Sure you won't have a faceless one Hoplite or a Catafract with tentacles spawning on his back riding a giant fox, but there's enough variety and things to play with. I could link reference pictures to give ideas on what I'm talking about. There's also the part of finding interesting use of existing resources in making the new ones, which might or might not be interesting to someone.

Well, a contest would prompt me into action, otherwise I might just start something and abandon it. But if you have a certain request, PM me.

I have many possible requests, most could be solved with minor unit edits, some with bigger and a few would need new models. It all comes to what you would be interested working on and I'll find you a task. (Horsemen/footmen/buildings/Ships/War Elephants - edits/new models - What Civ)

This is not a solution, because rips are not acceptable by our resources system, so how exactly would this answer to his problem? :p

Level 49
This is not a solution, because rips are not acceptable by our resources system, so how exactly would this answer to his problem? :p

he needs a lot of special-themed models, that will fit a historical needs. So, he need the models, and he can get these models via just a rip from a game. In any way these models will look better than a any wc3 model, or model made for wc3.

he needs a lot of special-themed models, that will fit a historical needs. So, he need the models, and he can get these models via just a rip from a game. In any way these models will look better than a any wc3 model, or model made for wc3.

I hear you, but how exactly will he publish his map, when it contains un-approvable material?

Level 49
I hear you, but how exactly will he publish his map, when it contains un-approvable material?
make a easy rework let they fit a rule? it is easier than it sounds like. And finaly, the lowpoly stuff based on a ancient-mediveal theme (dunno why) looks so wierd, so, better let it do not exist. It is artist problem or a overall engine, i do not care, it looks bad inside of cartoon-like warcraft. :)

It is artist problem or a overall engine, i do not care, it looks bad inside of cartoon-like warcraft. :)

This applies on every modelling contest; we know we are dealing with WarCraft III here, it's nothing new, but models don't define the map, there are many more criteria to make a map good-looking. It looks like you are against any modelling attempts in WarCraft III overall than only with ancient-themed models.

Level 49
This applies on every modelling contest; we know we are dealing with WarCraft III here, it's nothing new, but models don't define the map, there are many more criteria to make a map good-looking. It looks like you are against any modelling attempts in WarCraft III overall than only with ancient-themed models.

No, i really love alternative model-set for a projects, where models fit each other, and looks fine ingame. But, i think you noticed, that "warcraftish" models have grotesque and hypertrophied animations (paladin's walk for ex.). Wonder, why everything in wc3 (lowpoly) has so specific geometry (grotesque, cartoonish)? Cause of the same thing, robots are looking much better in lowpoly, than any human :D

Status
Not open for further replies.