• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Content censor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I'm not one to be advocating censorship but i have a big problem with children being influenced in bad ways.

It is going to be hard for the people who grow up over the years on this board to follow the rules, and more specifically choose not to use a "bad" word here and there from time to time.

It should be known that i am not calling anyone out, nor do i care that people who do, do cuss. But today i clicked on a member's name who's birthday it is today because i noticed he's 56. On his profile he writes that he makes maps with his 10 year-old child. It's kind of sad to think that they may ever have to come accorss some bad words in order to find what they are looking for.

Now i bet that this is not the first time this subject has been brought up, and i don't think those who would agree with me are asking for much.

My proposal would be to auto-censor or replace bad words to guests AND to have a function to auto-censor/replace bad words as a personal setting.

I understand that this is a private service but still, there's no reason why THW should not become an example for other modding sites. And although i don't suppose any new WC3 modding sites are going to be popping up anymore, or anytime soon, it will promote this site's friendliness.. Though it doesn't take long to figure out that this site and the people on it are friendly, who knows if other people are not joining because of "bad character"?

It's just an idea. In the end, the little ones will learn their cusswords in 1st or 2nd grade. I learned the F-bomb in preschool! So... There is no demand here. Any ideas from Site Devs or any one with any input feel free.

Level 35
Well censoring word will never do any good. I could understand it if you wanted pictures censored, but those are already censored by the rules (which certain offenciv words also are).

But lets look at it this way, the words a bad because they relate to something the "child" shouldnt know anything about, but if the child understands the word he already knew it. So there would be no point in hidding it from him. Also he would learn it later anyway.

At home we have this system: words like fuck, crap, shit so on we can say, but doesnt normally do so, as there ist a need to do so in your own house. If we use a word (bad word) which my (lets say) littlesisters (6 year old) doesnt understand, my farther / mother always explains it to her. If we didnt it would be unfair for her. It is the the same as saying the newpaper shouldnt allow pictures with dead people or similar, but then how should they make people remember it? It exsist, and is the truth.

Btw: How can it be sad for a 56 year old to see bad words? And the 10 year old kid propably know more bad words then his farther does.

Face it, our sociaty is this way, and nothing is going to change that.

Level 9
I understand what you're saying. I didn't mean that it's sad that the guy may ever have to see it, but his son.
And i am facing the fact that our society is this way.. And as much as i hate censorship, i think giving the option in such a case as this is a lot better than being the extreme on either end.
The FCC has no right banning what is displayed on household TVs as it is a private network.. But in a different reality where intelligence rules, there should have been given the OPTION to censor, not simply impose and strictly inforce someone's belief on everyone. And although that is not done here, at the least an option could be made. I wouldn't use it myself, but this option IS that changing of the society that you think is impossible to change.
We will die before people stop playing WC3.. So i'm saying make the change now. The younger generations look up to those who have been in it way before them. If you have a website dedicated to something that people look up to than you have that advantage to influence.
Now it may just be a drop in the ocean but again i ask, is it asking for much?

My personal issue lies with the average age of the players. What you are taught, what you do, how you live as a child will be how you are as an adult. What you are influenced by as a child will bring about the same kind of behavior as an adult.
You must not think it odd that the army age-limit is 18.. When it should be 26 or so so the kid can realize what a mistake he's doing. And imagine if your parents and all the people who you've ever socialized with were ideal people in your image of a better life.. You'd act similarly and so would the people you meet and the people after you.
Again, drop in the ocean, it must be a joint effort in the end, but i'm just asking for a setting, not a miracle.
People don't have to agree with me, people don't have to care, but should it not exist?
In the end it is the decision of the private owner and i won't mind what conclusion he, she or they come to so long as it is known to them the concern.

I am not upset by the lack of the option, i am not going to cry over it, i am not hurt. I do not care to go into a HUGE debate about this, and i don't expect there would be much more for me to say (unless you are Pyrite ;), it's a simple matter of, "I acknowledge your concern" and that's it. I don't even care if i'm even responded to by Ralle or whomever else who may affect this change. Their response will not MAKE it happen. Again, the concern is put forth. People cuss, i accept it, i have no problem with it. I just think that kids should not have to choose between being subjected to it or going to a different site. I am not saying that people do this, i don't know, but it's the principle of the matter. Whether that matters is none of my concern as i do not own this website. I'm just a person who cares about ignorant kids.

Level 9
Ok, we censor fuck.
f uck. Oh look, I bypassed the censor.
Censors and filters are extremely easy to bypass.
Also, Warcraft 3 is rated teen. If a 6 year old has warcraft 3 in the first place, then there's your problem. Not a warcraft 3 community that uses swear words.
--donut3.5--

the community is not the game itself. I am not attacking people's right to cuss. If you are that egocentric to bypass the censor to have everyone read that you wrote fuck, kind of makes you an automatic douche. Why? Because the choice would be there for you to see it or not. And if you chose to see it, why would you then make sure to type "f uck" for those who do not have the censor on? Again, auto pegged with the title of douche.. And it's not like it should be enforced. It's just an OPTION you *lovable* *cheesecake*.
:p
hahaha

Level 35
You must not think it odd that the army age-limit is 18.. When it should be 26 or so so the kid can realize what a mistake he's doing..

I agree with you, and actualy it is so in many countries, but there exsist also countries where it is lower and higher. And some parts of army also reguires a differnt age. But this age limit comes from old times (around 1750-1800)... and before that you was even younger sometimes when going to war. Hitler did actualy send both old and children at the age of 13-14 to war.. and yes that is awfull... but it realy has nothing to do with censoring for "bad words"

I'm just a person who cares about ignorant kids.

Are you realy? If you realy cared you wouldnt be speaking of censoring the words, you would say: allow it.

Because they learn it anyway, it doesnt scare them, and realy most of the younger ones are using worse words then I do (and I am 18). Then you maybe say they learned from us and they use it because they dont know what it actualy means. Correct! They use it because they learned it, but they have already learned it, they learn it from familly, friends, media and everyone around them. And you think avoiding the words fuck, shit, motherfucker similar on hive would matter? And well a samll drop in the ocean.. correct a so small drop it doesnt matter at all.

Again face that our sociaty is used to it already, and nothing we do can change it, bad words exsist for a reson and you can't remove them like they never was there (hint: thats why I talked about photo's of dead people in the below post. Because even though you dont want to see it... it is there.. and you actualy need to see it)

btw: you can actualy hope that our more mild bad words can make the younger ones use milder words too :wwink:

Level 27
the community is not the game itself.
You have two options for why you joined this forum:
1.) You play warcraft 3, a T rated game.
2.) You are bored and browsing the internet. THAT IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR SMALL CHILDREN EITHER.
By going on the internet, you are almost guaranteed to encounter shitfuckanddammit over and over and over again.
Are people douches for saying what they want? NO. If they bypassed a censor, they would just be bypassing a retarded rule that should be (if at all) enforced in an elementary school, not an online community for a teen rated game.
--donut3.5--

Level 34
Donut pretty much ended this whole thing. WC3 is teen, teens can handle the word Fuck. I also don't see it as a problem on this site. Swear words are not used all that often anyways. Fuck is hard to use without flamming something. So already there's a rule against using it, in a sense.

Level 35
Donut pretty much ended this whole thing. WC3 is teen, teens can handle the word Fuck. I also don't see it as a problem on this site. Swear words are not used all that often anyways. Fuck is hard to use without flamming something. So already there's a rule against using it, in a sense.

Inded... question left is: Does Cheeder agree?

Level 27
A censor as described by Cheeder would not need to be bypassed as people who can post would already see the swear words and probably not even realize there even is a censor. I cannot support a global censor, but what Cheeder describes sounds very reasonable.

But I wouldn't use it.
It's just a word, and as adults tell children very often "Stick and stones may break your bones, but words will never hurt you."
I'd much rather like to grow into a world where people are free to speak any word, the only reason any word is a swear word is because we have made it as such. If you are punished for saying a word, what does that make you think about that word?

Swear words exist because people grow up thinking they are swear words. If young children are exposed to a word then it shouldn't make them worse people, it should make the word less offensive.

Level 18
It's just a word, and as adults tell children very often "Stick and stones may break your bones, but words will never hurt you."

Except that research shows mental hurt is centered in the same part of the brain as physical hurt. Seriously though, think about the reason 'bad' words are bad. They're like that because people have used them against other people - and we already have a rule against that. If they're used for other purposes then they lose their potency as a tool of insult.

Level 26
the community is not the game itself.
No, but the game's intended community is the community we should be accomodating, now isn't it?
Except that research shows mental hurt is centered in the same part of the brain as physical hurt. Seriously though, think about the reason 'bad' words are bad. They're like that because people have used them against other people - and we already have a rule against that. If they're used for other purposes then they lose their potency as a tool of insult.
Profanity loses its effect when the people realize that no one cares about it.
When you are in early elementary school, "stupid" or "shut up" are bad words. What happens? You eventually begin to realize that no one gives a shit.

Level 34
The ''bad'' words are totally intergrated in every community, especially by youngsters (why did I just say that?), on my school and area people swear all the time too, perfectly normal, unless it's offensive against someone.
Children will learn too, doesn't depend on age, my little brother is nine, he can say fuck and some other swearwords too. Here you must do:
1) Punish as a parent.
2) Punish as a old brother/sister
3) Ignore.
4) Teach him NOT to say those words.

I'm 16, I'm his big brother, I have to use number 2 to be honest.

Level 9
Movies are rated PG13 and R and kids still see them. When i was 15 i was buying cigarettes with a fake ID. Just because the movie is intended for 13 year-olds and over, just because you "have" to be 18+ to buy cigarettes, doesn't mean you HAVE to be.
"T" is just a rating. It is not equivilant to a law.

"Rating Symbols suggest age appropriateness for the game, ..."
http://www.esrb.org/ratings/index.jsp

So, again, my stance is that the website is not the game.

@RED BARON, i did not mean ignorant the way you interpreted it. I meant ignorant by the fact that kids know not what they do AS kids, for they will be infused with their character into adulthood, for the majority.

Level 34
The ratings are annoying with the game side of it too. They rate like erh Manhunt or something like that Adult, so what you going to see? The blood is the same in other horror games like FEAR but that's in FP and highly detailer. So what's their [censored] problem?

Level 35
Movies are rated PG13 and R and kids still see them. When i was 15 i was buying cigarettes with a fake ID. Just because the movie is intended for 13 year-olds and over, just because you "have" to be 18+ to buy cigarettes, doesn't mean you HAVE to be.

Wonder what is worst :wscrolleyes:
Bad words or smoking?? Bet I know what is... and it is the one thing which should have a better censor. And I also wonder about you cheeder, are you actualy supporting or against a censor? What you say above is actualy a support to noncensor. (And no.. the rule of buying cigarettes reguires 18+ isnt just a rating, it is a rule!, and with very Good Reson! )
btw: you do know that bad words doesnt kill you right?

@RED BARON, i did not mean ignorant the way you interpreted it. I meant ignorant by the fact that kids know not what they do AS kids, for they will be infused with their character into adulthood, for the majority.

Agree, but isnt it so in all parts of sociaty? Then why have a censor at hive? It would make no sense.

Level 27

So that doesn't mean every R rated movie is like "OMFG WE MUST FILTER OUR MOVIES IN CASE LITTLE KIDS GO IN TO SEE THEM!!!!11111"
...no.
If the kids decide to bypass the ratings, that's their parent's fault for buying them the goddamn game, and if the parents care so much, letting them play the game.
--donut3.5--

Level 9
Wonder what is worst :wscrolleyes:
Bad words or smoking?? Bet I know what is... and it is the one thing which should have a better censor. And I also wonder about you cheeder, are you actualy supporting or against a censor? What you say above is actualy a support to noncensor. (And no.. the rule of buying cigarettes reguires 18+ isnt just a rating, it is a rule!, and with very Good Reson! )
btw: you do know that bad words doesnt kill you right?

Agree, but isnt it so in all parts of sociaty? Then why have a censor at hive? It would make no sense.

I am NOT trying to impose my ideas on THW. I am not trying to enforce a setting into THW. It would simply exist as a user-friendly option.

Words don't kill? Go into a ghetto and start calling everyone you see a n*****. It'll kill you faster than smoking.. Besides, death by smoking is not guaranteed. And it's not the fall that will kill you, it's the ground.

(I do not condone smoking)

Donut3.5, your stance is that the website community is the game. It's obviously not. I don't want to tax you for every cuss word you use. I dont want to limit the amount you can cuss. I don't want to impose on your right to cuss. This topic was intended to be a suggestion, not a debate. Though i can understand why others would turn it into a debate given the fact that i gave reasonable examples of why there should be one.. But it was not intended to be intepreted as "THERE MUST BE ONE!"

I'm not that much of an asshole.

:D

Level 34
Cheeder, I think you are the only one concerned about this. I would drop it, this thread isn't productive at all.

Level 26

Jesus Christ...

I KNOW IT'S A SUGGESTION, AND I KNOW IT'S BYPASSED ALL THE TIME.
But if the game is intended for teens, then it should be treated as if the community itself is composed of teens. It'd be like saying we should censor 300 if a bunch of kids watch it.

"SPARTANS! Ready your breakfast and eat hearty, FOR TONIGHT, WE DINE IN *Heck*!"

Level 8
Lol MSBB

But I dont like this idea that much, im 12, I say bad words, (not in front of my parents, because they dont know my "other" life.) and it doesnt kill you. Ahh Fuck, Ooooh I said Fuck, What If I dont mean it? I honestly dont get why they made bad words if they're bad, but thats beside the point. Censoring words is like not giving a child "the talk" and the child doesnt know it until the child is like 20, by then they'd already know.

It would be like the re-made Matrix where they had to censor the words...

Would it sound right if someone said, "You Mother Screwer!" Same meaning, different word. Because then, you'd have to block out words like Crap, which is like shit. Or screw, which is like fuck, its all pretty much the same thing. I dont think censoring words is a great idea. If a kid sees bad words/bad things, then what good is it to block it out if they have seen it already? Again if they see something bad like that, then they become a bad thing. Like me.

Level 45
Slang and profanity is a part of everyday society and mingling (I don't know how to word that well).
This is a teen game, thus the community would be expected to be welcome to mainly teens/audience and not cater so deeply for younger audiences. The average age rate here is around 16, not 10. Doom3 and such sites have age restrictions due to the rating on the game.
Really, this suggestion is stupid, you gotta learn to take a hit by getting hit. And really,..waste of time and limiting a persons rights to express themselves. If people don't want to see such everyday common words then they should find a way to dispose of their eyes and hearing.

and like said, its not a matter of how you say things, its the reasons. Meaning, if it's just used to help express a feeling or a point then its okay, but if its used to attack and insult which is flaming then its a no no.

Level 27
It seems just about everyone seems to fail to see that Cheeder is not suggesting a censor.
He's suggesting an option for people who want it.

If I ever make a forum, it's going to be packed with options that very few to no people will use. It doesn't hurt to have extra options.

Level 35
yes, but the option/suggestion has reasons why its "suggested" not to be implemented in the first place(optional or not) due to common sense. It's a waste of time IMHO.

Ya. That was what I keept wondering about.. he wants it as a option = no one would ever use it.

And still having it doesnt make any sense.

And cheeder, there is a small difference betwhen the hive and a ghetto. (Or is it just me?)

Last edited:
Level 26
It seems just about everyone seems to fail to see that Cheeder is not suggesting a censor.
He's suggesting an option for people who want it.

If I ever make a forum, it's going to be packed with options that very few to no people will use. It doesn't hurt to have extra options.
When people say time is money, I'm always inclined to disagree. You can't earn time back, so there should be no reason to waste it.

Level 34
So to conclude all those comments and posts together in one comment: You cannot censor words these days, people will find new ways and words to express themselves. Censorship has only use on TV.

Level 9
RED BARON said:
Ya. That was what I keept wondering about.. he wants it as a option = no one would ever use it.

Democracy = 51% of the population controlling 49% of the population. It was in the honor of the 49% that this was suggested - a true Republic.

MSBB, it took you longer to edit your avatar than it would for you to check a box and hit enter.

Why do you disagree if you agree that wasting time is dumb?

It's a logical discetion of the words. You can't make more time, but you can make more money. Therefore don't waste your time on that which is not productive.. It's simple irony.

And in this case he thinks 20 seconds is a waste of his productive time from making his avatar or signature look fruitful.

Level 35
And in this case he thinks 20 seconds is a waste of his productive time from making his avatar or signature look fruitful.

Well I wastet 10 min making my own with Xmas, around an hour making hive icons you know these one: :wsmile: amd so. Then I wastet 5 min making an gif for search which havent been added yet or might never be. Then I used around 5-6 min to greate an avatar for Matyko

Resons: It was fun for me (notice this is important, I didnt waste time as this was for fun).

I am generallly helpfull..

btw: You realy cant compare an option for auto fixing bad words (which might result in some wierd results) and democracy.Those things aint the same.

Last edited:
Level 34
What the hell has democratcy to do with censoring? Get back to topic.
Wanted to say that :p
Shall we invoke the censoring or not? Let's think off any possiblities to reduce swearing and stuff.

Level 35
What the hell has democratcy to do with censoring? Get back to topic.
Wanted to say that :p
Shall we invoke the censoring or not? Let's think off any possiblities to reduce swearing and stuff.

No we just agreed not to make a censor (or atleast msot of us did..) so further discussing how to make it happen would be just as useless as an useless option.

Level 34
Would be fun if someone makes a program that counts all swear words, all possibilities included f uck and 5h17 etc, if that was made in the beginning of the site, boy I would bet there would be a lot.

Level 9
The point is to not BE on topic. Democratic rule has won.

So let's break it down.
Democratic rule won because democratic rule is mob rule. Two or three prominent users here at THW saaid 'no no' 'it's useless', etc, and therefore any opposing arguments will not be considered.

Now let's take a look at a republic. We have someone offer up the idea which harms nor imposes nor inflicts any damage or harm done to all users. In fact, for this particular idea, it takes AWAY harm.."done". So a sensible audience would come to the conclusion, those who use it will benefit from it, those who do not will neither benefit nor lose from it's use - i say yay, go ahead and implement it if you want.
Then it is made a rule by it's being in existence.

Now, if ever someone came along and said, 'i don't like that option. It makes my personal settings page tooooo big. I don't like it, it's in the way AND it doesn't even have a nice color', etc, and they get a few prominent users to agree with them then, unrealistically, it may be taken down.

It's only unrealistic because it's as passive as anything can get. But a democracy is the equivilant to mob-rule.. yes, yes, like the one that sentenced Jesus to his death, but more importantly to this discussion, freed a murderer by their mob-pressure. Law is law in a true Republic, law is the pressure of a mob-like force in a democratic society.

Here's an example.. A lobbyist is offering to pay a congressman 1 million dollars to pass a bill to allow the sale of cigarettes to people aged just 17 and above. This lobbyist goes around to enough congressmen who will take the money, enough in order to pass the bill. The congressmen take the money and vote on the bill because what do they care? They have a million extra dollars. That's democracy, where the law says 18+ but is changed because some congressmen got some money.

On the other hand, this one-man history-altering money machine, your money, btw, tries to offer the congressmen 500 million dollars each. They each decline because the law states 18+, and no one can change the law because a company, a few paid scientists and a few paid legislators make a law to be passed to make such a change without the consent of the people.

Many bills (would-be laws) go by Congress all the time. You may see it on CSPAN anytime, all the crap they allow almost every day of the year.

So this was just my history lesson since you saw no relevence.

One more thing..

I pledge allegience to the flag of the united states of america
And to the Republic...

It's fortunate for politicians that the people are crazy-stupid and ignorant of common sense and the persuit of their own well being. Shit, things just might be better and good on the flip-side! X

Status
Not open for further replies.