• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Constructable streets for units to walk on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I've been thinking about this for dozens of times. Is there really no way to create a system in which units can only walk on street-type-buildings that you need to create first? Take any game like Simcity/Anno or whatever, that's exactly what i want to achieve.

I've tried many different things but nothing seems to work. The main problem seems to be that a structure's pathing cannot 'overwrite' the pathing of the ground tiles.

Any ideas?

An easy way to approach the problem:
Make your entire map unpathable, by customizing the tile pathing information.
Then have your street type buildings walkable with a invisible platform pathing texture.

If you want military units to be able to walk away from streets (Settlers 3 style), things get more complicated, though.

In this case you can make all military units flying units and use ground + air pathing blockers for those areas where soldiers are not supposed to go and ground blockers for those areas where workers are not supposed to go.
Actually, that sounds like a fairly simple solution to me, as it doesn't require custom pathing textures. Do this!

Level 3
An easy way to approach the problem:
Make your entire map unpathable, by customizing the tile pathing information.
Then have your street type buildings walkable with a invisible platform pathing texture.

If you want military units to be able to walk away from streets (Settlers 3 style), things get more complicated, though.

In this case you can make all military units flying units and use ground + air pathing blockers for those areas where soldiers are not supposed to go and ground blockers for those areas where workers are not supposed to go.
Actually, that sounds like a fairly simple solution to me, as it doesn't require custom pathing textures. Do this!

As i said, tile pathing information seems to be made so you cannot overwrite it with units pathing. I tried with many different pathing textures for the street buildings, but it didn't work. :/

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
As i said, tile pathing information seems to be made so you cannot overwrite it with units pathing. I tried with many different pathing textures for the street buildings, but it didn't work. :/
Unit pathing acts as an overlay to the base pathing map. The solution would be to have a completely walkable base pathing map and then overwrite it with units, destructibles or whatever to be unwalkable in game. These can be removed as you want an area to be walkable. To prevent excessive resource drain you merge large areas into a bigger single overlay (eg 32*32, 64*64, whatever limit there is).

Level 3
I really have to push this again after such a long time. Thanks @Zwiebelchen for the tip, this seems to do the trick. However there is another problem: my streets are 2x2 in collision, so basically they are the smallest size for pathing textures. The problem arises: i want them to be placable only on the grid INTERSECTIONS (where two grid lines cross each other). Reason is because with Zwiebelchen's method you can only make areas of 4x4 pathable or unpathable. This sometimes does not fit the placement of the streets since you can only edit terrain pathing and textures on grid intersections. Any ideas? I got no idea how to make a building to be placeable only on grid intersections, basically i need to make the grid bigger but i don't think that's possible at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.