• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Conquest of Alterac [Solo Scenario] (Beta)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hello!
I am new here on HiveWorkshop. For the past year, I have been working diligently on a map I have envisioned, and I think it is time to share the first version of it. The map is pretty much done, except that it is still largely untested (except for myself playing it) and I'm not sure if the difficulty is right.

Conquest of Alterac
Description
In the interim between Reign of Chaos and the events of The Frozen Throne, you enter the Alterac Mountains as one of the 4 races - Human Alliance, Frostwolf Orcs, Undead Scourge or Night Elf Sentinels. Competing forces have already established themselves, and you must drive them out, while endeavoring to fulfil the main objectives of your faction.

Features
  • Play as any one of the 4 races using standard Melee gameplay mechanics, in a Campaign-style map
  • Complete a bespoke quest chain unique to the race you play
  • Fight against 2 out of 4 randomly chosen enemy factions, each capable of spawning in 2 different locations with different difficulties
  • Complete side quests, hunt creeps and find magic items
Gameplay
Play a blend of Campaign and Melee - you train units, expand and conquer as if it was a solo Melee map, but you complete story quests and hunt creeps and items as if it was a Campaign map. The scope of the map is bigger than a typical Campaign map, and will take 1-2 hours to work your way into the Alterac Mountains, defeating 2 randomly chosen enemies - a primary and a secondary. The primary and secondary enemies you encounter are randomly chosen, which adds replayability, since you can then play the map 4 times (one for each race) and face new combinations of primary/secondary enemies each time.

Player factions
  • Human Alliance - Re-establish the Alliance's presence in Alterac, cooperating with the Stormpike dwarves, the Silver Hand, and finally recovering the Perenolde Tiara.
  • Frostwolf Orcs - Return to the home of the Frostwolf after the exodus to Kalimdor. Experience the bloody rivalry with the Stormpike, and summon an ancient being from Alterac Valley.
  • Undead Scourge - Spread the plague on the human lands, while hunting for a set of dark relics.
  • Night Elf Sentiels - Attempt to heal the land ravaged by the plague, and awaken an ancient spirit of the Valley.
Enemy factions
  • Syndicate Turncloaks - The humans of the Syndicate have their base in Alterac, and they will keep anyone from meddling in their affairs.
  • Blackrock Clan - The orcs of the Blackrock Clan have returned, and they will not share the mountains with anyone.
  • Dreadlord Insurgents - The Dreadlords of the Burning Legion have wrested control of parts of the Scourge, and are using them for their own ends.
  • Naga Incursion - The Naga of Lady Vashj have settled temporarily in the Lordamere Lake, and from here launch an incursion into the mountains.
New mechanic - Requisitions
Because the pace and scope of the map is drawn out, I have a added a gating-mechanism to teching up, which serves as a gold and lumber sink throughout the game. It is introduced very early on, and can be accessed on any Town Hall building.

Request for feedback
I am still a bit unsure about the overall difficulty level, so any feedback on this - is too hard, too easy? - would be greatly appreciated.

A bit about myself
I am an old-school Warcraft fan who has been addicted to the universe since I was a kid. Today I work as a software dev, and I recently decided to return to Warcraft 3 and try to apply my skills to making this map.

Thank you for reading and/or playing :)

Changelog
  • Fixed issue with Keg of Thunderwater in first Orc quest
  • Fixed AI bug which was causing lag
  • Added difficulty settings
  • Added interaction with the villagers outside the starting area
  • Fixed Glyph remaining in inventory on Fountain quest
  • Fixed activating Orc final quest with Ethereal Spirit Walkers
  • Fixed issue with Syndicate AI
  • Tweaked difficulty levels
  • Fixed Undead first quest

Screenshots
WC3ScrnShot_032722_153403_001.png
WC3ScrnShot_032722_153552_001.png
WC3ScrnShot_032722_153648_001.png

WC3ScrnShot_041222_232347_001.png

Attachments

• ConquestOfAlterac_v0.8-Beta.w3x
    422.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Level 4
Update (v0.4)
I think the map was way too hard. So I added a difficulty setting dialog at the start of the map.
The initial difficulty of the map has been left as the "Hard" difficulty, whereas "Normal" is now considerably easier than it was before. "Easy" is currently the same as Normal (until I get around to balancing it).

Update (v0.7)
All 3 difficulty levels now implemented.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.