• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Spell] Combined Abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
I would like to combine some Abilities:

• Critical Hit/Bash
  • Thunder Clap/Storm Bolt
  • Devotion Aura/Thorn Aura
  • Vampiric Aura/Unholy Aura
  • Devotion aura/Brilliance Aura
  • Brilliance Aura/Endurance Aura
  • Storm Bolt/War Stomp
  • Flame Strike/Mana Burn
  • Tranquility/StarFall (heals Friendly, Damages Foes)
  • Frost Armor/Immolation
  • Death Pack/Dark Ritual
  • Spiked carapace/Thorns Aura
  • Attribute Bonus/Engineering Upgrade

Level 12
Some of these would be EXTREMELY difficult to do. But Death Pact and Dark Ritual are actually the exact-same ability. Just like Holy Light and Death Coil are virtually the exact-same ability as well, just with opposite effects. (In all technicality, you could put a negative number into Death Coil which would then make it heal Living units and damage Undead units) Take a look at them if you don't believe me. =)

However, combining Critical Hit with Bash is quite easy, unless you want it to be on a hero in which it'll be slightly more complicated.

Make a Spellbook that contains one of the two spells.

I'll do an example:

CustomSpellBook will have Bash in it, while the actual unit will have Critical Strike on it.

Add the Spellbook to the unit, and via trigger disable the Spellbook. Disabling the Spellbook does not disable the abilities inside the Spellbook, so passives and Auras will work. Other spells, with an OrderId, I don't know if those work yet. But I was given an idea by someone and I plan to try it out soon.

To do this for a hero, you simply check the level of an ability for the hero, and when the level changes, you level up the ability in the spellbook via trigger.

How do you want the Storm Bolt/Thunder Clap to work? When the unit is hit by the Storm Bolt, a Thunder Clap goes off on the targeted unit, or they just both go off at the same time?

Anyway, it'll just require a lot of dummy units is all. =)

Level 16
Some of these would be EXTREMELY difficult to do. But Death Pact and Dark Ritual are actually the exact-same ability. Just like Holy Light and Death Coil are virtually the exact-same ability as well, just with opposite effects. (In all technicality, you could put a negative number into Death Coil which would then make it heal Living units and damage Undead units) Take a look at them if you don't believe me. =)

However, combining Critical Hit with Bash is quite easy, unless you want it to be on a hero in which it'll be slightly more complicated.

I'll do an example:

CustomSpellBook will have Bash in it, while the actual unit will have Critical Strike on it.

Add the Spellbook to the unit, and via trigger disable the Spellbook. Disabling the Spellbook does not disable the abilities inside the Spellbook, so passives and Auras will work. Other spells, with an OrderId, I don't know if those work yet. But I was given an idea by someone and I plan to try it out soon.

To do this for a hero, you simply check the level of an ability for the hero, and when the level changes, you level up the ability in the spellbook via trigger.

How do you want the Storm Bolt/Thunder Clap to work? When the unit is hit by the Storm Bolt, a Thunder Clap goes off on the targeted unit, or they just both go off at the same time?

Anyway, it'll just require a lot of dummy units is all. =)
Very nice, thank you. I will play around with this.

Level 15
One thing to keep in mind is that for pairings of abilities which have different target types, e.g.

Flame Strike / Mana Burn (very odd)

you'll need to decide how the spell would behave, and there's no correct answer because their types are different.

Does the hero cast an AOE flame strike, and then all units in the area get mana burned?

Or does the hero mana burn a single unit, which causes a Flame Strike centered on that target?

Level 16
Some of these would be EXTREMELY difficult to do. B
Which ones?
How do you want the Storm Bolt/Thunder Clap to work? When the unit is hit by the Storm Bolt, a Thunder Clap goes off on the targeted unit?
Exactly!

I'll do an example:

I tried this for a test and I had a few issues. Not sure what I need to fix, so i will come back to this idea.

Does the hero cast an AOE flame strike, and then all units in the area get mana burned?
Yes
Or does the hero mana burn a single unit, which causes a Flame Strike centered on that target?
No

Level 2
It's a little late, so I won't be able to explain in great detail, but the AOE Flame Strike that mana-burns a target area:

Modify the Flame Strike ability. You would need a dummy unit that would spawn at a targeted location, checks if any units (of a type) are there around a specified radius, and then set their mana to a value and their life to (current life - numerical value of mana subtracted from mana pool) using a repeating loop so that every unit would be affected. Make sure to stop the actions afterwards.

Level 12
Critical Hit/Bash: Modify normal crit in OE

Thunder Clap/Storm Bolt: Spawn dummy that uses thunderclap when stormbolt hits.
Storm Bolt/War Stomp: Same as above.

Auras: Extra aura inside disabled spellbook.

Flame Strike/Mana Burn: Are they supposed to lose mana over time? Either way TZK's way should work. (no need for a dummy unit though, you just use target point of ability being cast and radius)

Tranquility/StarFall (heals Friendly, Damages Foes): Dummy unit, 2nd trigger "unit stops casting" issue order dummyUnit - stop

Frost Armor/Immolation. version 1: unit cast frost armor. Add ability permanent immolation to target unit of ability being cast. Version 2: unit turn on immolation. Spawn dummy & issue order cast frost armor on triggering unit.

Death Pack/Dark Ritual: Modify in Object Editor.

Spiked carapace/Thorns Aura: Hero learns ability == Thorns Aura. Add disabled spell book with Spiked carapace.

Attribute Bonus/Engineering Upgrade: Hero learns ability == Engineering Upgrade. Add disabled spell book with Attribute Bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.