• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Illusion/Mirror Image Mechanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
My idea is to make illusion in my game as indistinguishable as possible. The opponent team will not know which is the illusion until it is destroyed or expired.

So I want to know what skill and mechanic in the base game can make the illusion stand out. I can either avoid to use those feature in my game or find some trick to get around.

I do have some basic knowledge about Illusion (from playdota.com).
The difference between an illusion and the real unit

Illusions can't use any active ability. Passive abilities that illusions can use:

Evasion
Critical Strike (it should be noted that the red number is before the illusion reduction)
Feedback (only works on melee illusions)
Movement speed (flat and percentage)
Attribute bonus (Strength, agility and intelligence)
Flat HP or mana
True Sight
Radiance burn aura (the aura still will not affect units already affected by a different Radiance aura)
Endurance Aura
Spell resistance from abilities, and base spell resistance
Quelling Blade's Demolish

Passive abilities that illusions can't use (even if the animation might show something different):

Raw damage or armor
HP or mana regeneration
Orb effects (except Feedback on melee illusions)
Cleave
Bash (it works in some rare scenarios, read more about it below), this includes the interrupt on Monkey King Bar
Damage block
Spell resistance from Planeswalker's Cloak, Hood of Defiance or Khadgar's Pipe of Insight
Backstab

Bash on Illusions

Illusions may proc the skill Bash, however they will never deal any bonus damage. Also the stun they place is "fake" because despite the animation the target can still move. Furthermore if another bash hits the unit while in this "Fake bash" state, it will only prolong the fake buff. This is also true the opposite way; if a real unit bashes a target and then the illusion "fake" bashes, the real bash will be prolonged.

It should be noted that since the last remake of Basher illusions can no longer bash using it, however MKB Bash remained unchanged.

Auras on Illusions

Illusions will bestow any auras that the original hero has, however they usually will not benefit from this aura.
For instance, an illusion of a hero carrying a Vladmir's Offering will provide the 3 auras (damage, armor and lifesteal) to nearby allied units, but the illusion itself will not benefit at all from the item.

Exceptions: Illusions can benefit from auras based on Endurance Aura, such as Yasha's movement speed and attack speed bonus, or Beastmaster's Inner Beast.

In case you don't have time to read all the text above, i will list some differences between illusion and real unit that I really want to change.

How to make all aura affect illusion the same way they affect the real unit. For example, a unit will be damaged if it attack an illusion affected by Thorn Aura.

Which passive skill and passive item's skill will behave differently on an illusion (illusion is not benefited by cleave or orb effect). And again, how to blur those differences.

My questions mostly concern about illusion-related issues in the base game, but any tip relating to illusion in custom spell is also welcome.

Thank you.

P/S: Both trigger and Jass/vJass's solutions are fine, but I would appreciate if you could point out the advantages and disadvantages of each one.

Level 2
Well, I already think about creating a clone Hero, but there are some undesirable effect.

Thinking again, making an illusion benefited by aura is enough.

Is there any solutions for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.